DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass data error w/screenshot

That suggests that the compass issue possibly happens when the FC rolls the gimbal to look down before descending. That doesn't necessarily explain the mag_mod variation with yaw though - unless the gimbal pitch changes happened to correspond with the yaw changes. The gimbal pitch is not in the DAT file - can you post the txt log corresponding to the DAT file FLY084.DAT?

Sorry @sar104 just saw this message, I think this is it, it is from the same time frame

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-05-01_[17-50-41].txt
    788.4 KB · Views: 2
So, could someone that has the time and their Mavic Pro handy do me a solid??? Could you please turn your MP on and in DJIGO4 go to the sensors and watch your compass as you lower and raise your gimbal from one point all the way through the motion to the farthest point and take note of what the highest level of interference you experience is and let me know in here.

So, could someone that has the time and their Mavic Pro handy do me a solid??? Could you please turn your MP on and in DJIGO4 go to the sensors and watch your compass as you lower and raise your gimbal from one point all the way through the motion to the farthest point and take note of what the highest level of interference you experience is and let me know in here.

Doesn't change significantly with gimbal position. Less than 20 on both compasses.

Reactions: MavProPlat1968
Doesn't change significantly with gimbal position. Less than 20 on both compasses.
OK, I got the demagnatizer like you posted that you said you use, and I used it on it and it helped it tremendously, now through the full range of movement of the gimbal it never goes over like 240 and is still green so it never even gets to yellow, before using it about 1/3 of the way through the gimbal movement I was 3/4 of the bar in red. and it would say move away from magnetic interference. Thanks for the recommendation on the demagnetizer, I had about $11 worth of points on amazon so I got it for less than $2 lol.

OK, I got the demagnatizer like you posted that you said you use, and I used it on it and it helped it tremendously, now through the full range of movement of the gimbal it never goes over like 240 and is still green so it never even gets to yellow, before using it about 1/3 of the way through the gimbal movement I was 3/4 of the bar in red. and it would say move away from magnetic interference. Thanks for the recommendation on the demagnetizer, I had about $11 worth of points on amazon so I got it for less than $2 lol.

Did you recalibrate the compass after demagnetizing?

Did you recalibrate the compass after demagnetizing?
Yeah, but I am waiting on my replacement compass #1/gps board to get here, should be here next day or so. I actually broke the wire too far back to repair on mine. When I calibrate right now I get the first half green, but when you turn it up on its side, it doesn't calibrate correctly.

Maybe I need to demagnetize mine. From the video in post #38 the "interference" on compass2 varies between 70 and 470 depending on the gimbal pitch. Compass1 doesn't vary significantly.
@MavProPlat1968

Reactions: MavProPlat1968
Maybe I need to demagnetize mine. From the video in post #38 the "interference" on compass2 varies between 70 and 470 depending on the gimbal pitch. Compass1 doesn't vary significantly.
@MavProPlat1968
Yeah...but I broke a wire taking the top off, and according to thunderdrones, once you break past the end of the wire that is thinned you cant add new wire.

Yeah...but I broke a wire taking the top off, and according to thunderdrones, once you break past the end of the wire that is thinned you cant add new wire.
@Thunderdrones is the expert.

Here is a graph showing the magMod value for each compass. The front compass (red plot) varies with the gimbal pitch where the back compass (blue plot) doesn't. Too bad DatCon isn't smart enough to know gimbal pitch. If it were the gimbal pitch could be plotted as well.

Reactions: Former Member

Here is a graph showing the magMod value for each compass. The front compass (red plot) varies with the gimbal pitch where the back compass (blue plot) doesn't. Too bad DatCon isn't smart enough to know gimbal pitch. If it were the gimbal pitch could be plotted as well.
View attachment 71802
Is this from yours?? I dont even know how to find that stuff for mine. I've got a lot to learn lol

Is this from yours?? I dont even know how to find that stuff for mine. I've got a lot to learn lol
Yes, this is from my Mavic Pro. The .DAT from the MP itself is required since the tablet .DAT doesn't have both compasses. The tablet .DAT will only have the compass data for the compass that's being used which is almost always the back compass. The front compass has the problem.

View attachment 71802

I really helps that you are reading the data file because the ops compass in DJI Go 4 showed #2 compass red occasionally. Compass #1 has a mechanical problem, loose wire, and compass #2, per your analysis, has a problem too.

What a mess.

Reactions: BudWalker
I really helps that you are reading the data file because the ops compass in DJI Go 4 showed #2 compass red occasionally. Compass #1 has a mechanical problem, loose wire, and compass #2, per your analysis, has a problem too.

What a mess.
After demagnatizing the gimbal, compass #2 doesnt go out of green when moving through the gimbal range, once I get the new GPS board in I will see how it looks.

Hope the new compass helps. Chasing down problems on these things is really frustrating sometimes between the software and the hardware.

What a mess.
That clears up a question that I had. Why would the .txt indicate a compass error if the problem was with the back compass which wasn't being used? But, the front compass was being used since the back compass was inop.

@MavProPlat1968 I'll order a CFixer today and see if it makes any difference. The Mavic sat on a shelf for an extended period after I got the Mavic 2. Maybe the gimbal acquired some hard iron properties during that period.

That clears up a question that I had. Why would the .txt indicate a compass error if the problem was with the back compass which wasn't being used? But, the front compass was being used since the back compass was inop.

@MavProPlat1968 I'll order a CFixer today and see if it makes any difference. The Mavic sat on a shelf for an extended period after I got the Mavic 2. Maybe the gimbal acquired some hard iron properties during that period.
I ordered a demagnetizer from Amazon, works just fine. @sar104 told me about it. And it's a load cheaper than the Cfixer and doesnt take a month to get. This is the one I got. Also got it in 2 days

I ordered a demagnetizer from Amazon, works just fine. @sar104 told me about it. And it's a load cheaper than the Cfixer and doesnt take a month to get. This is the one I got. Also got it in 2 days

Yeah, I ordered that one too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet