DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Error Caused by Aux. Light Battery Type??

FlyGuy8675309

Reactions
So this is a strange one that was driving me nuts. I've been flying with this set of landing gear / lights forever with no issues. I stock up on the Dollar Tree "Sunbeam" brand of AA's (4 for $1). Well last visit they only had Panasonic "AAA" (3 for $1) so I grabbed a some. I started to have compass errors so I did the whole trouble shooting thing testing each component and accessory. I took of the landing lights and the problem went away. But them back on and compass error right after take off again... Hmm.. After a while I said "What the heck?" and changed the batteries to an old Sunbeam set. I'm still going to run some more trials -- but **** -- what a strange issue! :eek:

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Former Member
I would leave those Sunbeams in and not put the Panasonics back in. They could demagnetize compass #1.

Yeah the Panasonics are now out of the fly-kit. Also wondering about using the lights at all now - I have some other options, but these really work well -- super bright.

Im glad you mentioned this. Not for my drone, but because I always see Sunbeams and Panasonics at the Dollar Tree. Im trying to think of other electronic devices that the Panasonics could interfere with, similar to what they did to the Mavic. It's good that you caught that one and were able to identify the problem. Compass errors are serious business. I might just try both of them on one of my wrecked test drones and see if waving both batteries near the compass will affect the magnetic fields of compass #1 and 2.

Im glad you mentioned this. Not for my drone, but because I always see Sunbeams and Panasonics at the Dollar Tree. Im trying to think of other electronic devices that the Panasonics could interfere with, similar to what they did to the Mavic. It's good that you caught that one and were able to identify the problem. Compass errors are serious business. I might just try both of them on one of my wrecked test drones and see if waving both batteries near the compass will affect the magnetic fields of compass #1 and 2.

Good idea. I just tried this with both types of batteries (both in and out of the LED landing-light) -- both messed with the compass equally. The position and angle of the battery/light has a lot to do with the amount of interference.. which explains why the compass errors come and go depending on the Mavic's attitude (physical attitude, not emotional attitude LOL).

Obviously I have more experiments to run and will share the results. Never a dull moment...

Good idea. I just tried this with both types of batteries (both in and out of the LED landing-light) -- both messed with the compass equally. The position and angle of the battery/light has a lot to do with the amount of interference.. which explains why the compass errors come and go depending on the Mavic's attitude (physical attitude, not emotional attitude LOL).

Obviously I have more experiments to run and will share the results. Never a dull moment...

I think that the position of the light will have a big effect on compass interference, now that you have ruled out the Panasonic battery as the culprit. Is the light adjustable fore and aft? Compass errors should remain consistent if the position of the light remains the same. Only the GPS signal might get degraded if the light was on top, but looks like it is on the bottom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada