DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error

Hayabusa

Reactions
just took her out for a quick flight. Prior to take off I had no errors or warnings and all was good. I was out over a building about 1/2 mile away and 300’ up and I got a compass error warning. I of course panicked and immediately put her in sport mode and brought her home. While on the way back the message flashed a few times. I typically always calibrate but then read not to unless it tells you too.
What would cause this mid flight?

Mike

Magnetic interference, maybe from the building?
Glad you got her home. I usually never calibrate unless prompted to by the mavic.

I wasn’t that close- maybe 25’ at best.
And then get cimingbin again while returning home.
So what’s the best way to calibrate? Should I find 1 good location and calibrate and then only if promted?

Calibrate from where you fly from the most, away from cars, electronics, and metal (according to the experts) Then leave it alone, unless prompted to calibrate by the Mavic.

DJI says if you are several miles from the last place you calibrated, you should recalibrate. To me that means if I take it on a flight, or drive it to a different state.
A few people calibrate before every flight, but I wouldnt do that!

In my house I tried to calibrate Imu as well, I was having styong magnetic warning, I tried elevating, different locations and seemed really sensitive as it has not done this prior. I finally found a spot and calibrated both compass and Imu. However, I am nervous about it because of all the interference I had.
Should I take drone outside and away from any possible interference and then calibrate everything. Is it order specific, or any order?
How level when doing these? Bring out the bubble level type level?
I just want to get back to having fun flying rather than always stressed.
Any guidance on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

An open field with-out anything around, no buildings or metal of any sort, no concrete ..
Going to take her out for sunrise and there’s a big park /grass area. I’ll bring my landing pad and level and try to get it as best I can.
Thanks

Also keep an eye on the earth's geomagnetic status. A KP of 4 or over could cause a compass error. I beleive this happened to me last week.Screenshot_20180219-070226.png

Calibrate from where you fly from the most, away from cars, electronics, and metal (according to the experts) Then leave it alone, unless prompted to calibrate by the Mavic.

DJI says if you are several miles from the last place you calibrated, you should recalibrate. To me that means if I take it on a flight, or drive it to a different state.
A few people calibrate before every flight, but I wouldnt do that!
In the manual DJI instructs to calibrate only when prompted by the app. I’ve taken my Mavic hundreds of miles from my home area and, so far, have never had to calibrate.

Also keep an eye on the earth's geomagnetic status. A KP of 4 or over could cause a compass error. I beleive this happened to me last week.View attachment 31737

It was at a 4 yesterday but not sure about the time I flew on Saturday night.
So if a 4+ I should not fly?

I’m really starting to miss my P3s. I never had these issues.
Mike

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I have a leveling app which also has a metal detector on it. In normal conditions it’s under 40 but if I put near the amplifier it raises to 130+.
How do I check if I need to deguase it fir sure?

I think the KP level is something to be aware of but I wouldn't limit flying unless it got to 5 or over. In my case I was flying in new location near some buildings. when I got over 40 feet it went into ATTI mode due to compass error. I've never seen that before. once I got away from area compass error was gone. I agree to only calibrate when prompted by app.

I've flown over 300 km (200 miles) in two different countries. I've never been prompted to calibrate and never have. I (now) check the two compass readings as part of my pre-flight checklist but nothing has ever looked wrong. My first drone crashed on its second day because of a compass failure. DJI accepted that (in fact, they told me a compass failure was the cause - I was too new to have any real understanding of what had happened) and repaired it under warranty. Unless the app prompts me to calibrate or the readings start to look wrong I will leave it alone.

I've flown over 300 km (200 miles) in two different countries. I've never been prompted to calibrate and never have. I (now) check the two compass readings as part of my pre-flight checklist but nothing has ever looked wrong. My first drone crashed on its second day because of a compass failure. DJI accepted that (in fact, they told me a compass failure was the cause - I was too new to have any real understanding of what had happened) and repaired it under warranty. Unless the app prompts me to calibrate or the readings start to look wrong I will leave it alone.

Where do find compass readings and what should they be?

I went to field today and calibrated Imu, compass and gimbal. I noticed when arms folded in that I would get interference.
I flew her and seemed fine but never went far.

Thank you!
So lower the number is better( stay in green)
I’m going to purchase a degauser to be safe. That speaker is putting put a strong field and I would sit it in its case right on top of amp, so maybe 7”-8” away from speaker magnet.
Thanks
Mike

Thank you!
So lower the number is better( stay in green)
I’m going to purchase a degauser to be safe. That speaker is putting put a strong field and I would sit it in its case right on top of amp, so maybe 7”-8” away from speaker magnet.
Thanks
Mike
Ehh u should maybe keep it tucked somewhere else? Lol

I reelly don't knöw why people think that the Gps\Compass needs to be degaussed... The compass chip has a self check feature that makes sure the 3 axis of the chip is not magnetized n offsets it if it is magnetized... My electronic designer çowurker who wurked for the military making guidance systems said it...

I reelly don't knöw why people think that the Gps\Compass needs to be degaussed... The compass chip has a self check feature that makes sure the 3 axis of the chip is not magnetized n offsets it if it is magnetized... My electronic designer çowurker who wurked for the military making guidance systems said it...

So your saying that the compass will “fix” itself? So the compass errors and erratic behavior that started happening after I stupidly set my Mavic on top of a guitar amplifier (speaker) is something to not worry about

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki