DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error

So your saying that the compass will “fix” itself? So the compass errors and erratic behavior that started happening after I stupidly set my Mavic on top of a guitar amplifier (speaker) is something to not worry about
Ümmm maybe just maybe u should do ur research on HONEYWELL compass chips first... Then jump to conclusions...

Ümmm maybe just maybe u should do ur research on HONEYWELL compass chips first... Then jump to conclusions...
And learn about surface mounted ic chips & substrates then you'll be a smarter person... I am in a testing phase with the GPS\Compass Fix already and waiting to see if it passes the test of time...

Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, but I just received my Mavic Pro a few days ago and flew it briefly yesterday to get a feel for the controls. (I have been accustomed to fliying the Phantom 3 standard.) Mavic is very stable.

I calibrated the compass before I flew it.

How does the home point get recognized and stored if you don't calibrate it each time and change location (like a mile or two)?

Marko

No need to calibrate the compass unless the instructs you to do so. This is per the manual. Home point is established by the Mavic’s GPS. The cameras at the bottom of the drone also take an image of the takeoff point for more precise landing when utilizing RTH. After takeoff let the drone hover about 30’ above the takeoff point for 15 seconds or before flying away so the Mavic can get a more accurate image.

Hi,,

Just see if you can remember in which direction your camera was pointing, as I have noticed that when the camera is pointing down about 90’ or about 45’ the motors from the camera causes interference then as soon as you tilt the camera back to forward it will go away that might of been the cause.
just took her out for a quick flight. Prior to take off I had no errors or warnings and all was good. I was out over a building about 1/2 mile away and 300’ up and I got a compass error warning. I of course panicked and immediately put her in sport mode and brought her home. While on the way back the message flashed a few times. I typically always calibrate but then read not to unless it tells you too.
What would cause this mid flight?

Mike[/QUOT

No need to calibrate the compass unless the instructs you to do so. This is per the manual. Home point is established by the Mavic’s GPS. The cameras at the bottom of the drone also take an image of the takeoff point for more precise landing when utilizing RTH. After takeoff let the drone hover about 30’ above the takeoff point for 15 seconds or before flying away so the Mavic can get a more accurate image.

There is no need for that.

Also keep an eye on the earth's geomagnetic status. A KP of 4 or over could cause a compass error. I beleive this happened to me last week.View attachment 31737

I hope they have that app for apple! looks to be a handy app!

No need for what?

To wait 15 seconds. You can hit takeoff precision mode and it will do it automatically, or you can rise to 20 feet and take off after maybe 2 seconds. You'll usually hear the camera snap a photo, too.

UAV Forecast is what I use on my iPhone

ohhh that magnetology is also part of UAV Forecast app? I don't have my mini 4 yet so that's what I am asking is that app free or no?

Reactions: WA5AW

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock