DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error

Do you wear a smart watch or fitness tracker with GPS WHILE SETING UP the mavic2? I found that my Apple Watch throw my compass setup off during setup and sometimes during flights

Reactions: Argentum-Volantes
I have had my M2 Pro for about a month after launch and it has never asked for a calibration, must be something on you interfering.

Look for any kind of magnets I had one in an iPad case that was throwing mine off and it took me some time to figure it out lol good luck [emoji1365]

Reactions: VectorTwin
I have the same problem and it is coming from my iPad. The iPad and drone are next each other in to bag. Try to separate electronic device with GPS from drone

Reactions: Krvelasco
I only have to calibrate once a month, I get the calibration message roughly about every 30 days, not daily like yours. Try what the above posts recommend, hopefully that will be your answer?

If I'm turn on Mavic,and after take drone and go with him,then i have compass error.
If just turn on and fly,then error not come :)
Maybe this help.

You should allow the M2P to fully boot up before doing anything. There’s lots of calibration takes place automatically when it boots up, one reason to make sure yr drone is on a flat horizontal surface. Beware of concrete with steel reinforcement rods, I think these cause interference. The compass does seem to be very sensitive, as said above make sure yr away from any electronic interference. U should calibrate yr compass whenever yr in a new location.

Never had mine ask me that, since new last year. Only did it once when it came out of the box.

U should calibrate yr compass whenever yr in a new location.

Ralph: I don't think that's accurate and as has been said many, many times here, the only time you need to calibrate is when the aircraft tells you to do so OR, on startup it indicates a magnetic heading that is OBVIOUSLY different than the actual aircraft orientation relative to mag North (which should, in all situations, generate a cal alert.) This whole business with what DJI did regarding Go4 and the M2 compass is still unclear as some folks get calibration alerts all the time, some only get it if they change location by some number of miles or, it's triggered every 30 days. It's a complete mystery but what is not mysterious is what causes a real cal alert, i.e., magnetic inteference in the launch area. Unfortunately, this is the situation many have experienced right before having a fly away. It is ESSENTIAL that you do not takeoff with a compass error, (incorrect yaw initialization,) as the aircraft will THINK it knows where it's going but it doesn't.

SAR's long-standing recommendation is the answer. MAKE SURE the aircraft compass system is correct by checking the direction of the arrow on the radar display prior to takeoff. This simple test will tell you if the compass system is functioning properly or not.

For me, pointing the aircraft to North when I set her down and then checking the radar display to see that she is in fact pointing North, makes me a happy camper. You won't be able to tell the exact magnetic heading of the aircraft (maybe in a firmware update...hope...hope,) but if the arrow's mag direction does NOT agree with the actual aircraft magnetic orientation, DO NOT TAKEOFF! Cal the compass even if you don't get a prompt to do so and repeat the process but ONLY TAKEOFF if the arrow is pointing in the same magnetic direction as the aircraft.

The rather strong magnetic latch of my smartphone case's cover I had in my pants pocket was regularily the culprit in confusing the compass of my M2P which then requested a magnetic calibration before take off. Took a while to find out. Keeping drone and cover away from each other solved the problem once for all.

I get the problem all the time with two different iphones, try rotating iphone and draw a figure 8 then reboot app I think that clears it, agree red arrow MUST face same direction as drone.
I am certain that in most cases it is not magnet interference problem as it happens everywhere

Does anyone else find this? Every time I boot up MP2 I’m asked to calibrate compass and/or magnetic interference even in the middle of a field with nothing electronic in sight. Perhaps a fault!!
I also had this problem until I started to use a different cable from the controller to my phone (I don't use the short cable that came with my mavic 2.) everything works better.

Having a magnetic item on one's person but not near the AC during bootup/launch should not affect the AC compass. I really doubt the AC initializes compass and related immediately after power up.

Also magnets near the remote or phone also should not affect the AC unless they are within 6 inches or so of the AC on initialization.

However you could end up with the AC magnetized if near a magnet for prolonged periods of time. Degausing it should resolve that problem.

Does anyone else find this? Every time I boot up MP2 I’m asked to calibrate compass and/or magnetic interference even in the middle of a field with nothing electronic in sight. Perhaps a fault!!

Yes. i am travelling full time around Australia and just about every time i get to a new location, usually 250 kms from the last flight, i am asked to re calibrate the compass due to magnetic interference. yesterday i was on top of a mountain with absolutely no metal within 30 kms.
i just do it every time because it only takes 2 minutes.
its probably a means for the Chinese govt to spy on us but i say, knock yourself out fellas. :)

I am certain that in most cases it is not magnet interference problem as it happens everywhere

Bee: Honestly, I think you have it backwards. It DOES happen quite often, or at least it does to those in this Forum but I would bet a lot of money that at least ninety percent of the time, it IS magnetic interference from somewhere. I believe the other ten percent are those who get the 30-day event or, they have traveled some distance as mentioned in an earlier post. It's a certified mystery but the number of fly aways due to the aircraft having the wrong compass alignment are just too many to discount the interference theory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk