DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Problems

bp83

Reactions
Hi Everyone

Since arriving in Colombia I've been having compass issues with my Mavic Pro. My flights are being continually interupted by compass calibration and magnetic interference warnings (despite not being near metal).

When I'm in a more built up area and can't take off due to mag inf then usually back home the compass auto calibration will work after taking off to the temp max altitude, but this isn't working and the auto-calibrate doesn't happen.

I've tried manually calibrating the compass but when I'm doing the vertical 360 nothing happens and it doesn't move onto the next stage.

Any suggestions appreciated, I'm wondering if the mavic being the camera bag along with the Nikon camera and lenses has done something magnetically?

Cheers, Ben (London)

Hi Ben. I can't imagine your camera kit would have done anything. In my experience there isn't anything magnetic in camera gear - it would screw with the memory cards.

Have you been in the same location when you've tried a manual calibration?

My Mavic Air will refuse to take off because of magnetic interference if I am wearing my Apple watch (magnetic charger) or wearing gloves with metal studs or near my car.

I know people who remove belts with a lot of metal in them! Personally I don't fancy taking off with my pants round my ankles.

Many concrete areas are unsuitable because of metal reinforcement so try to find grass away from fences or move around and try different places. Other than that? It would be good if you could find a location with no issues which might rule out an issue with the craft.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Try running a demagnetiser over your drone. Check the area that you are using to calibrate your drone with a hand compass. This will show if the area is magnetically compromised. It should point north all the way from the floor to chest high. Hand launch rather than take off from steel rebarred surfaces.

This could happen with loose connectors, bad coaxial cables causing egress or improperly fit RF shielding on the wifi board, are you seeing the interference on both compasses?

Thanks for the replies, its been happening all over the place, even in remote areas where there is def no magnetic interference around, so I'll look into demagnetizing it (any recommedations on what / where to buy one), and will try and post you a DAT file on here too.

As mentioned the manual calibration isn't working, it allows me to do the first stage on horizontal rotations, but doesn't move forward from the vetical 360's.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929