DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass radar off

Eyeonyou

Reactions
Hi I’m flying with my iPhone 7 and the radar is totally off on my phone. The arrow doesn’t line up at all with the direction of my drone. How do you fix this? I went to the compass app on my phone but didn’t see a way to adjust it.

If you pull the phone out of the controller, and hold it away from the RC, does it more accurately show the correct direction? (might need a longer lightning cable for this)

Ya maybe I’ll try that tomorrow. What would that mean if it does?

Might mean the controller is interfering with the phone's compass. TBH, I'm not confident it'll help, but it's worth a try if the phone compass calibration doesn't work.

If possible, maybe try calibrating the phone compass while it's sitting in the RC cradle?

I tend to see north in the wrong direction. Usually that means doing a figure 8 with the phone or tablet. When using a tablet connected to the remote, that can be challenging! I found just a little wrist movement with the remote/tablet fixes the problem. At least it's close.
My Tab E didn't have a compass so the radar was fixed.

Hi I’m flying with my iPhone 7 and the radar is totally off on my phone. The arrow doesn’t line up at all with the direction of my drone. How do you fix this? I went to the compass app on my phone but didn’t see a way to adjust it.

If the heading indicator in the GO app disagrees with the direction that the aircraft is facing then you either have aircraft compass problems or magnetic interference at the location you are placing the drone. Either way - that's the most important indicator of an incorrectly initialized IMU yaw value, which is likely to lead to uncontrolled flight. I would recommend that you never attempt to take off when that happens.

What is the magnetic interference value in the Aircraft > Advanced Settings > Sensors > Compass section of the GO app?

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Just did a test with my old iPad mini 2 that I used to use with my phantom and the radar was spot on. I toggled the compass calibration on my iPhone 7 in the settings like I read online but it made no difference[emoji53] also I couldn't get my longer lightening cable to work when I plugged it into the USB port on the bottom of the remote. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
The numbers on compass 1 and compass 2 kind of bounced around but no higher then 30. When I connect my iPad mini 2 the radar is spot on so I would think the compass in the craft would be ok? I went to the compass app on my phone and compared it to a real compass and they were the same[emoji848] I have know idea what’s going on

The numbers on compass 1 and compass 2 kind of bounced around but no higher then 30. When I connect my iPad mini 2 the radar is spot on so I would think the compass in the craft would be ok? I went to the compass app on my phone and compared it to a real compass and they were the same[emoji848] I have know idea what’s going on

The compass on your mobile device has nothing to do with the aircraft heading arrow in the GO app. That is oriented, relative to the map, according to the aircraft heading determined by the aircraft compass and, after takeoff, the rate gyros.

Reactions: Turn11
Ok first off I figured out I had to unplug the the upper cable first to be able to use the bottom USB port. Did I little research on-line and seems to be a known problem at least with the iPhone 7. The solution which someone above mention was to use a longer cord and the bottom USB port and use the phone on a separate mount. It worked fine once I did this. I guess it has something to do the the magnetic interference with the controller. Seems stupid though I can’t use the factory holder and cable setup.

I tried something else I read a guy doing was to open the app and connect before you put it in the holder and let it connect to the compass first then put it in the holder. Well it stayed correct as far as testing it in my house and spinning the drone around by hand. Will have to test it out tomorrow outside.

Interesting, I just started a post with a similar issue. Guys please let me know your thoughts

Ya when I did a search on-line I found many posts about this subject and most were with the iPhone it seemed. Is yours with an iPhone as well?

Did another test tonight using my iPhone 7. Turned the phone around 180 degrees and put it in the factory holder so the home button is on the right side and got a longer cable and plug it in that way. It worked perfectly fine like that and radar spot on. Why would it do that???

I’ve tried another test tonight. I turned on my remote, then my drone but didn’t plug my phone in yet. I waited a few seconds then opened the app and then plugged it in making sure when I did the remote and phone were in the same direction as the drone. Sounds crazy but it worked. Tried it twice that way and flew it around a whole battery and stayed correct the whole time. I tried plugging it in while I was standing a little to one side and the radar would be off and stay off.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Ok finally got it figured out and working every time now. With my iPhone mounted with the home button on the right. Leave unplugged, turn controller on then the drone. Open up the app and let the compass find north then plug in. Spot on every time. Tested this out multiple locations and works like a charm. Found this cable for $6.50 that is the perfect length. IMG_6463.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter