DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complacency cost me

jimapp

Reactions
New to the hobby as of yesterday I have about 20 plus flights; no misshaps! Although yesterday was bright and sunny there was a rather strong breeze but decided what the heck. Using AutoPilot as always I had already created a circular flight plan initially for about 20 metres up but after putting the Mav up to its initial 3 metres or so lowered all my waypoints to 8 metres. Now you should know the flight plan should create no issues and usually I would allow for a little deviation either by height or space around. 2 mistakes for me; first lowering the height, second did not check to verify all my settings- I had the the speed too high!(makes it harder to react in a timely fashion!
Because of the breeze the Mavic was having a tough time at first then seemed to follow the path perfectly albeit too fast! Then I realized the horror! It was heading in a circular fashion but too close to trees! I hit pause but not soon enough. Just like a cat my poor Mav was stuck up a tree. Lucky for me only my pride and four props were damaged as far as I can tell. Will run all tests but optimistic

Attachments

• IMG_6197.JPG
    IMG_6197.JPG
    734 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6198.JPG
    IMG_6198.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
New to the hobby as of yesterday I have about 20 plus flights; no misshaps! Although yesterday was bright and sunny there was a rather strong breeze but decided what the heck. Using AutoPilot as always I had already created a circular flight plan initially for about 20 metres up but after putting the Mav up to its initial 3 metres or so lowered all my waypoints to 8 metres. Now you should know the flight plan should create no issues and usually I would allow for a little deviation either by height or space around. 2 mistakes for me; first lowering the height, second did not check to verify all my settings- I had the the speed too high!(makes it harder to react in a timely fashion!
Because of the breeze the Mavic was having a tough time at first then seemed to follow the path perfectly albeit too fast! Then I realized the horror! It was heading in a circular fashion but too close to trees! I hit pause but not soon enough. Just like a cat my poor Mav was stuck up a tree. Lucky for me only my pride and four props were damaged as far as I can tell. Will run all tests but optimistic
Howdy jimapp, that is pretty much the same scenario as my second crash; glad all ended up ok.

been there good luck

Yes all kinds of thoughts were racing through my mind; is the gimble ok?...and right below from where it was hanging was a "rock garden! Looked liked it could fall anytime but my buddy got a ladder and was able to retrieve without incident.

Everyone falls off the bike at some point. Happened to me; had to get a replacement.

It's just good that this drone is small and low in mass. Crashed mine into a tree messing around in sport mode, broke one propeller.

You're not even a legitimate idiot, such as myself :), having made 20 successful flights before you did this. I treed my P4 on my first flight, cost me $200 to get it down.

Thankfully, I'm much, much more experienced now, so I'm pretty confident I won't be treeing the Mavic any time soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emilybrown24