DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Completely unresponsive gimbal

Reactions
Morning everybody. Flight on 11 July, all normal came in to land. Video feed changed to a grainy green screen!?! Anyway, landed fine.
Upshot is when Aircraft powered on there is no gimbal movement at all. Everything feels free, all connectors on firmly. Stuck. So just wondered if anyone had ideas before I go out and shell out £400. Many thanks.

What's great?

Did you look at the ribbon cable with, if necessary, a magnifying glass to check for track cracks or rips?
What's the £400 for?
If a gimbal assembly did someone tell you that that was the problem?
If not, are you just guessing that something in the gimbal, be it the ribbon cable or circuit boards or the internal stranded cable, has gone wonky? If so that is an expensive gamble.
What if it's the board in the drone to which the gimbal's ribbon cable connects?

If you are into DIY before you shell out for a new gimbal "in the hope that that fixes the problem" then I'd try replacing the ribbon cable at least and if you are handy the stranded cable within the gimbal.....But be warned, the latter is a fairly complicated procedure and you NEED TO BE CAREFUL, there are ribbon cables etc. in there that are fragile and the working spaces are very confined. It's no place for the ham fisted or impatient.

To be honest if you don't fancy trying those I would be inclined to send it in to a repairer and ASK for the old camera back.

Incidentally if you post the .txt. &, if you have it, the .DAT flightlogs from the screen device, there might possibly be something in there that might indicate the source of the problem. I would guess it's more likely in the DAT.
If you use an RC1B controller you are unlikely to have a DAT. If you have an RC1A controller you should have a DAT PROVIDING you do not sync your logs with DJI. I believe sync'ing deletes the DAT.

See either or both
for instructions on how to retrieve the flight logs from the screen device.
NOTE the DAT on the drone is of no use to anyone but DJI.

Last edited:
Thankyou. I'll try that first. I don't think it's thr Camera. I'm pretty okay with electronics. Any ideas for where to get a reputable ribbon cable from? And if need be would you recommend where to get gimbal assembly from? Thanks.

Do you still have video feed? My gimbal randomly died on mine as well, ended up replacing the cable between the drone and the assembly as well as the circuit board above the camera to no success. I ended up just sending it to dji for repair.
Screenshot_20220730-090553_Gmail.jpg

If you can find the logs post them here and there are people here who can read them.
As to a reputable place to get the ribbon cable, I am afraid its ebay and such places, i believe DJI agents aren't allowed to sell parts to the public and DJI themselve do not.
Ditto replacement gimble units or buy second hand on ebay but ONLY sold in either the "New" or "Used" condition categories, but you are gamblng that the problem lies in the gimbal.

Thankyou very much. I've attacked only three 2 gimbal files if anyone is kind enough to have a look to see if there's anything funny going on.

What is the controller?
The logs I was referring to are on the phone or perhaps the smart controller and their names will be something like the following but with appropriate date ,time & DAY number stamps.

DJIFlightRecord_2022-07-30_[03-43-47].txt
2022-07-30_03-40-01_FLY004.DAT
22-07-30-03-40-01_FLY004.DAT

I suppose there is no harm in posting the gimbal logs......who knows what they may contain.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000