DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Computer requirements and editing software?

Siautos

Reactions
Hello, I’m new to drones, looking for a bit of advice on what spec computer and good software for editing my footage from Mavic Pro. 2. Any help would be appreciated as I haven’t got any knowledge with computers.
Thanks Stuart

Reactions: tfj and dirkclod
Search feature will reveal hundreds of answers to this exact question.

Hello, I’m new to drones, looking for a bit of advice on what spec computer and good software for editing my footage from Mavic Pro. 2. Any help would be appreciated as I haven’t got any knowledge with computers.
Thanks Stuart
Welcome to the forum .
Check out this section and you will find the threads on editing and some on the spec's you are looking for .
Editing & Technics (Photo & Video)

Reactions: Siautos
YouTube is a good resource for this. You can watch beginners tutorials and decide which one is at your technical level. Then you can look up the computer specs required for that software.

Thanks Stuart
Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum ... There are a lot of free and pricey video editing software's that have various degrees of impact on your PC.
As a beginner myself - I'm using 'Wondershare Filmora' - [OFFICIAL] Wondershare Filmora - Easy, Trendy and Quality Video Editor - which has a lot of on-line help, and allows you to use in a 'free' form until you either decide to use it fully, or dump it. It costs $60 for a lifetime license and makes it easy to produce and edit video, as well as giving you license free music tracks. I've also downloaded a [free] module to it that gives a lot of flexibility in editing all the contrast, brightness, tints, etc. etc. you'd want for post-production.
I was using VSDC Free video editor, but that is really resource intense on my PC, and outputs in large file sizes!

Thanks Stuart

What is your budget? I would be happy to piece together a system for you on pcpartpicker as a starting point.

Reactions: BD0G
I’m like you kind of don’t like big computers fancy editing systems. You might wanna look into an iPad Pro, but this year‘s model, Luma is tops for the price and what it can do on 4K. Very intuitive, easy to use importing and exporting.

Reactions: Siautos
Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum ... There are a lot of free and pricey video editing software's that have various degrees of impact on your PC.
As a beginner myself - I'm using 'Wondershare Filmora' - [OFFICIAL] Wondershare Filmora - Easy, Trendy and Quality Video Editor - which has a lot of on-line help, and allows you to use in a 'free' form until you either decide to use it fully, or dump it. It costs $60 for a lifetime license and makes it easy to produce and edit video, as well as giving you license free music tracks. I've also downloaded a [free] module to it that gives a lot of flexibility in editing all the contrast, brightness, tints, etc. etc. you'd want for post-production.
I was using VSDC Free video editor, but that is really resource intense on my PC, and outputs in large file sizes!

Thankyou for your advice

Evening, around a grand.

$1000 is going to be a little tight but you can get a surprisingly decent system within budget. I will assume you need a new copy of Windows 10, I will assume you have existing storage HDD's that you can transfer to the new PC, and I'll also assume you have a decent monitor and other peripherals that you can continue to use - please correct me if any of that is wrong.

This is what I would build if I had to stay under $1000:

System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING, 200R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

On the software side, you can use DaVinci Resolve 15, which is a very professional program and completely free. There are very few limitations compared to the paid version.

Reactions: xedder
$1000 is going to be a little tight but you can get a surprisingly decent system within budget. I will assume you need a new copy of Windows 10, I will assume you have existing storage HDD's that you can transfer to the new PC, and I'll also assume you have a decent monitor and other peripherals that you can continue to use - please correct me if any of that is wrong.

This is what I would build if I had to stay under $1000:

System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING, 200R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

On the software side, you can use DaVinci Resolve 15, which is a very professional program and completely free. There are very few limitations compared to the paid version.

Lovely, thankyou very much for your advice.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I’m like you kind of don’t like big computers fancy editing systems. You might wanna look into an iPad Pro, but this year‘s model, Luma is tops for the price and what it can do on 4K. Very intuitive, easy to use importing and exporting.

I’ve got the 2nd generation iPad Pro, no good?

I’ve got the 2nd generation iPad Pro, no good?

2nd Gen (2017) iPad Pro's are just fine, in fact I don't notice any difference at all on my 2018 iPad Pro 11" compared to my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5".

If you get an app called LumaFusion, it is a (almost) full featured professional video editor, and it's really quite excellent. It cannot, however, correct distortion (yet) so if you shoot any 10bit D-Log with your drone, you are still going to need some other kind of software for that. Other than that, it can do almost anything and it's very intuitive. I wouldn't use it as my only option, but I love it for quick videos while I'm on vacation. I believe it's around $20 (no subscriptions necessary) and a bargain at that price. Their support staff is also excellent to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: guigen and Siautos
2nd Gen (2017) iPad Pro's are just fine, in fact I don't notice any difference at all on my 2018 iPad Pro 11" compared to my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5".

If you get an app called LumaFusion, it is a (almost) full featured professional video editor, and it's really quite excellent. It cannot, however, correct distortion (yet) so if you shoot any 10bit D-Log with your drone, you are still going to need some other kind of software for that. Other than that, it can do almost anything and it's very intuitive. I wouldn't use it as my only option, but I love it for quick videos while I'm on vacation. I believe it's around $20 (no subscriptions necessary) and a bargain at that price. Their support staff is also excellent to deal with.

Thankyou I’ll have a look.

Thankyou I’ll have a look.
Just to chime in, I got a good deal on a Alienware from Best Buy. $1300, a bit over your budget but it's liquid cooled, I7 8700 processor, 16G ram, 16G octane, 2T hard drive, Z370 motherboard, etc. The thing is dead quiet!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403