DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confronted by drone non-fan

I’ve had a similar problem with neighbors. They’ve threatened to shoot it down.
I’ve had one individual make a similar comment while I was flying a commercial inspection. He was quite shocked and surprised when he was arrested...in both Canada (where I am) and the U.S., and most other countries for that matter, UAVs are viewed in very similar light legally to manned aircraft. In this situation, threatening to shoot down a UAV is the legal equivalent to threatening to shoot down a Cessna; a SERIOUS, Federal offence.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
As others have said, well done!
I say well drone ;)

I have done the same on the beach down South. I flew early in the morning and respectfully with people walking on the beach at take off and landing and flying away from people in the water.

People around me were amazing and wanted to know how hard it was to fly and carateristics of the Mavic. All I had was tump up !

Last edited:
Man... that’s a classic example of mental illness. Crazy how people say everything that they don’t like is against the law.

I try not to fly within sight of the public. There’s always one but in the crowd. You’ll need to launch and recover your craft out of sight to avoid drama.

I just returned from a trip to Hawaii. We had an 8th floor condo overlooking the whale rich Maui channel. We could see the whales from our lanai, but after going down to the ground and launching, I found it almost impossible to locate them from the air. After a couple failed attempts, I decided to havre my wife transport the MP to the lawn, then I would take off, fly, and return to her from my position on high. It worked well.
But when she picked it up after the flight, a gentleman in ofly ne of the lower condos told her that it was illegal to fly near the condo without getting permission from everyone in the building. She told him she would ask me about it.

The next day, I took it down to test if the winds were too strong. They were, at least for me. The same gent came down and intercepted me on my way back to the elevator. He informed me that I was breaking the law. I I told him that I was quite familiar with the law, and was following it. He asked to see where the camera was located, so I showed him. (Without giving the drone to him. I have read the "guy threw my drone into the ocean "post. Thanks.)

He said he felt like I was looking in every condo in the building, and that he specifically felt that he was being followed by it. I told him that I understood his concerns, but that I was not doing so. I then showed him some of the short video clips from the controller showing him what I had been doing. I told him that I had decades of flying experience, (we were both seniors) and was quite familiar with the regulations of drone flying before even buying one.
He seemed to settle down, and said "you seem to be a responsible person".

I again, told him I understood how he had misinterpreted the drones activity, and that I realized that there may well be others in the building with the same concerns. I said that I would be sensitive to their concerns, and from then on would launch from the far corner of the property (another 20 yds out.) and proceed promptly away from the building, and on return would try to avoid hovering for too long.

Short result: no more complaints. I could have quoted him "The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Part 107, and Public Law 112-95 Sec 336, or just told him he was full of +++it +, but I don't think it would have done any more than inflame his anti drone feelings.

I think that the main things that helped were showing him what I had shot, and my age. If I had been 16 years old, he might not have been so easily appeased. But my advice to anyone facing a civilian like this is to be respectful. Then tell them you see how they would think as they do. After they retract their claws, try to educate, especially if you can show them some of what you shot.

BTW, I had several people come out, or even call down from their lanais to ask about the drone. Many more seemed to show a genuine fascination and interest than fear.
By any measure the way you handled the encounter was the best I've ever heard reported.

Although your age probably had a lot to do with calming the guys concern it still was a text book way of handling what could have ended up a very unpleasant situation.

I've found very similar attitudes in the many years that I've been a multirotor pilot.... people are either very belligerent or just very curious.... thankfully there are lot more in the curious category.

P.S. I've got a long time very good neighbor (an elderly widow) that I could tell disapproved of the time I flew my MR near both of our homes. Although I tried my best to assure her that the camera wasn't taking video of her home, I could tell she was still uncomfortable with my MR flying so close to her property.

Since her friendship was worth a lot more than any AV, I casually mentioned that it was only a one time flight and that it wasn't going to happen again. Nothing wrong with a retreat when it's got a good outcome...:)

Perfect Story. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I think exactly this is a task of us drone pilots besides flying.

The more People offering their time to Educate others, the better for our hobby

Here are some more Ideas how to handle People standing around with „question Marks in their eyes“
- ask them if they would like to come closer and See what you do
- Show the Video Display whilst flying
- offer a look through your VR goggle
- ask them if they would like to „Fly some Meters by their own“
- offer them to send some pics/vids of the Location you have been together
Some good ideas in theory but dividing up your attention while flying might not be such a good idea.

Can't tell you how many times people coming up to me asking questions have distracted me enough to possibly end up with a bad outcome.

I eventually came up with a way to just ask them to give me a chance to land the MR before trying to answer their question(s).

Most people have been considerate enough to just let me finish the flight ...

Hey, Steve, I am also a Steve. I have never really posted anything for general discussion and wondered how to do it? I have looked all over the forum, but I haven't found anywhere to post a question or comment to the general forum.
Thanks
Kind of wondering how you posted this question, having looked all over. Wait what????

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I just returned from a trip to Hawaii. We had an 8th floor condo overlooking the whale rich Maui channel. We could see the whales from our lanai, but after going down to the ground and launching, I found it almost impossible to locate them from the air. After a couple failed attempts, I decided to havre my wife transport the MP to the lawn, then I would take off, fly, and return to her from my position on high. It worked well.
But when she picked it up after the flight, a gentleman in ofly ne of the lower condos told her that it was illegal to fly near the condo without getting permission from everyone in the building. She told him she would ask me about it.

The next day, I took it down to test if the winds were too strong. They were, at least for me. The same gent came down and intercepted me on my way back to the elevator. He informed me that I was breaking the law. I I told him that I was quite familiar with the law, and was following it. He asked to see where the camera was located, so I showed him. (Without giving the drone to him. I have read the "guy threw my drone into the ocean "post. Thanks.)

He said he felt like I was looking in every condo in the building, and that he specifically felt that he was being followed by it. I told him that I understood his concerns, but that I was not doing so. I then showed him some of the short video clips from the controller showing him what I had been doing. I told him that I had decades of flying experience, (we were both seniors) and was quite familiar with the regulations of drone flying before even buying one.

I again, told him I understood how he had misinterpreted the drones activity, and that I realized that there may well be others in the building with the same concerns. I said that I would be sensitive to their concerns, and from then on would launch from the far corner of the property (another 20 yds out.) and proceed promptly away from the building, and on return would try to avoid hovering for too long.

Short result: no more complaints. I could have quoted him "The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Part 107, and Public Law 112-95 Sec 336, or just told him he was full of ++++, but I don't think it would have done any more than inflame his anti drone feelings.

I think that the main things that helped were showing him what I had shot, and my age. If I had been 16 years old, he might not have been so easily appeased. But my advice to anyone facing a civilian like this is to be respectful. Then tell them you see how they would think as they do. After they retract their claws, try to educate, especially if you can show them some of what you shot.

BTW, I had several people come out, or even call down from their lanais to ask about the drone. Many more seemed to show a genuine fascination and interest than fear.
Perfect handling of your situation. I too have encountered several inquiries/complaints. After explaining, demonstrating, and sharing video I found that I actually made new friends, two of which laterl paid me for aerial photography!

The proper response is to fight everyone. Or, if you're in Texas, just shoot them.

Short result: no more complaints. I could have quoted him "The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Part 107, and Public Law 112-95 Sec 336, or just told him he was full of ++++, but I don't think it would have done any more than inflame his anti drone feelings.

Great story and shows respect and education goes along way

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis