DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about flying at night

Hey what’s up. The only input I can give as I am a hobbyist who is thinking about getting a 107. I’m close to an airport. About 4-3/4 miles away. So I need to use LAANCE. The map says my height limit is 100 ft agl. They won’t give you automatic clearance for night flights. I thought you had to obey LAANCE regardless your status in a controlled airspace zone like I am. I’d say it’s ok to fly at night as a hobbyist if you are outside of LAANCE control. That’s how I’d approach it now until another rule change. I don’t fly at night any longer unless it’s in my backyard to light the BBQ area for a quick look.
I’m sure the guy above is correct in what he says. Looks like he might be involved with the faa. Love this forum guys. Thanks for all your help and information.

Reactions: Mrmund and BigAl07
Hey what’s up. The only input I can give as I am a hobbyist who is thinking about getting a 107. I’m close to an airport. About 4-3/4 miles away. So I need to use LAANCE. The map says my height limit is 100 ft agl. They won’t give you automatic clearance for night flights. I thought you had to obey LAANCE regardless your status in a controlled airspace zone like I am. I’d say it’s ok to fly at night as a hobbyist if you are outside of LAANCE control. That’s how I’d approach it now until another rule change. I don’t fly at night any longer unless it’s in my backyard to light the BBQ area for a quick look.
I’m sure the guy above is correct in what he says. Looks like he might be involved with the faa. Love this forum guys. Thanks for all your help and information.
That’s exactly right. Rec pilots can fly at night in Class G airspace.

If he/she is flying at night as a HOBBYIST then he/she follows all hobby/recreational rules and Part 107 does not apply. We can't mix and match rules from one side to the other.

If they are flying as a hobbyist it doesn't matter if they are carrying a Part 107 card or not... totally irrelevant. We often fly under Hobby/Recreational rules after getting our Part 107 you just have o make the entire flight under whichever rules you lainch under.

I hope that makes sense.
While we are touching on 107 regs... I have other FAA certs including 107 and CFI. My CFI clearly shows an “expires on” date (every two years). My Pt 107 has no expiration date on the cert but apparently we now how to recert every two years.... I am supposing the regs are changing too fast to keep up?

While we are touching on 107 regs... I have other FAA certs including 107 and CFI. My CFI clearly shows an “expires on” date (every two years). My Pt 107 has no expiration date on the cert but apparently we now how to recert every two years.... I am supposing the regs are changing too fast to keep up?

A Part 61 certificate has no expiration date either....but requires a valid Medical and a BFR.

Part 107 requires a recurrency test every 24 mos. (or online update training if you are Part 61 and current).

107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent
Description: The Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent course describes the operational requirements to continue to operate small UAS in the National Airspace System (NAS) under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 107, small Unmanned Aircraft Systems. FOR PART 61 PILOT CERTIFICATE HOLDERS WITH A CURRENT FLIGHT REVIEW (IN ACCORDANCE WITH 14 CFR PART 61.56), SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THIS ONLINE COURSE SATISFIES THE RECURRENT TRAINING REQUIREMENT TO REMAIN CURRENT AS A PART 107 REMOTE PILOT WITH A SMALL UAS RATING. All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource. Individuals without a part 61 pilot certificate or current flight review (per 61.56) are required to take the recurrent FAA Unmanned Aircraft General (UGR) Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center to maintain currency of their part 107 certificate.[i/i]

Just like with the P61 you have to carry proof of currency for P107...

Last edited:
Huh? Recreational Operations are not yet getting "Waivers" of any kind. The waiver process is for Part 107 operators (waiver # starts with 107..... 107.29 is Daytime Flight Waiver for instance.)

Here's a good "over view" of the current (10/5/2019) Hobby/Recreational flight rules:

***********************************************************************************************

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:

1. You receive an airspace authorization for operations in controlled airspace through LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), before you fly. Learn more about approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers for recreational flyers.
    2. You are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has a written agreement with the FAA. The FAA has posted a list of approved sites (MS Excel) and has depicted them as blue dots on a map. Each fixed site is limited to the altitude shown on this map, which varies by location.

6. NOTE: If your organization is interested in establishing a letter of agreement for a fixed flying site, please contact us at [email protected].

The FAA is experiencing a high volume of requests for fixed sites. At this time, the FAA is reviewing requests based on available resources.
  7. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  8. Do NOT fly in airspace where flight is prohibited. Airspace restrictions can be found on our interactive map, and temporary flight restrictions can be found here. Drone operators are responsible for ensuring they comply with all airspace restrictions.
  9. Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports.
  10. Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
  11. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  12. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Recreational flyers should know that if they intentionally violate any of these safety requirements, and/or operate in a careless and reckless manner, they could be liable for criminal and/or civil penalties.

Read the Authorization for limited recreational operations as described in section 44809 (PDF). All limited recreational operations should be conducted in accordance with this authorization.

For more information, read Advisory Circular 91-57B.

***********************************************************************************************

At no point in there does it state Hobby can't fly at night.... In fact the Advisory Circular (May 2019) where we get the "digested" version of the rules doesn't even have the words DAYLIGHT, NIGHT, and only used the word DAY in one sentence:
.....and remain in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

YES you can fly at night "currently" for recreational/hobby flights in the US National Airspace System but you also much still follow ALL of the Hobby/Recreational regulations to a "T".
[Removed by ADMIN] No one can fly after dusk...learn the rules . Stop giving false info...

[Removed by ADMIN] No one can fly after dusk...learn the rules . Stop giving false info...

Ummmm.... EXCUSE me . . .

I QUOTED the regs from the FAA!! Go read them and get back to us. If you doubt what I posted take the time to call your local FSDO and see what they tell you.

Last edited:
?‍♂️?‍♂️ keithj....

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Wow, so many different and or conflicting interpretations of the new and changing regulations. Even on a site that has more knowledgeable and experienced pilots than the average source of info. A pilot really has to do a lot of continuous research and updating of their knowledge of the quickly evolving rules and regs. A pilot would be well advised to just not take the chance and refrain from the flight in question unless they are absolutely sure about the legality of the flight in question. As they say ignorance of a particular law is no excuse for breaking it. Common sense can still go a long way though, if it feels wrong/unsafe then it probably is. Fly safe and fly informed and fly often!

This is exactly what I was talking about.

In the US, as long as you are flying as a hobbyist, you can fly at night, even 2 am.(and not hammered ? ). As long as you have fitted your AC with lighting/strobes that can be seen for at least 3 statute miles (at night), under 400 feet AGL, in VLOS, not in a restriced air space and not doing anything "stupid" you're good to go.
Period.

Reactions: Skywalker
Ok now I’m really confused @BigAl07 that resource you shared in post#3 “the Authorization for limited recreational operations”
Read the Authorization for limited recreational operations as described in section 44809 (PDF). All limited recreational operations should be conducted in accordance with this authorization.
Says:

FAA Form 7711-1, 49 U.S.C. 44809

SPECIAL PROVISIONS​

FLIGHT OPERATIONS

a. This authorization can be rescinded by the FAA at any time and is issued in order to allow recreational operations to continue while the FAA evaluates and develops a long term plan for implementation of 49 U.S.C. 44809. This authorization should be considered temporary in nature and non-precedent setting for future recreational operations. Do not contact FAA Air Traffic facilities for airspace authorization because these facilities will no longer accept requests to operate recreational unmanned aircraft in controlled airspace.

b. Any impacted air traffic control facility may disapprove, terminate, restrict, or delay UAS flight operations covered by this authorization at any time. Agreements establishing fixed sites may contain additional operating limitations. While flying at a fixed site in controlled airspace, you must adhere to the operating limitations of the agreement, which is available from the fixed site sponsor.

c. This Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time.

d. Recreational operations are to be conducted in accordance with or within the programming of a Community Based Organization’s (CBO) set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the FAA. Once the FAA has established the criteria and begins recognizing CBOs, those CBOs’ safety guidelines will be available for use. During this interim period, the FAA offers two means to satisfy this statutory condition; existing safety guidelines of aeromodelling organization, provided the guidelines do not conflict with other statutory conditions of 49 U.S.C. § 44809(a), or the existing basic safety guidelines for recreational operations, which are available on the FAA website (Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)).

e. As the FAA continues to review additional recreational flyer sites, the authorized locations may change. Therefore, the recreational flyer is responsible for reviewing and complying with the authorized recreational flyer sites within the published UASFM at FAA UAS Data Delivery Service. Prior to each flight to ensure that no changes have been made to the map (i.e., altitude changes, airspace modifications, etc).

f. The recreational flyer must check the airspace they are operating in and comply with all restrictions that may be present in accordance with Restricted Areas, Prohibited Areas, Special Flight Rule Areas or the Washington DC Flight Restricted Zone. See Aeronautical Information Services - AJV-A for information on ordering charts.

Ok now I’m really confused @BigAl07 that resource you shared in post#3 “the Authorization for limited recreational operations”
Says:

c. This Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time.

We saw that one earlier and requested clarification. We got an answer but it made less sense than this. As soon as they give us the how/why I'll post it here.

@brett8883 can you provide a link to where you found that exact wording? It's not part of the official wording on the current document. Per Oklahoma City FAA:

"The only restriction pertaining to day/night flying for recreational operations who are following all other regulations is that they can only fly at night in G (uncontrolled) airspace. ATC is not allowing any hobby/recreational NIGHT flights in Controlled Airspace. There are currently no night restrictions for ~44809 The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations if operating in Uncontrolled Airspace."

Reactions: brett8883
@brett8883 can you provide a link to where you found that exact wording? It's not part of the official wording on the current document. Per Oklahoma City FAA:

"The only restriction pertaining to day/night flying for recreational operations who are following all other regulations is that they can only fly at night in G (uncontrolled) airspace. ATC is not allowing any hobby/recreational NIGHT flights in Controlled Airspace. There are currently no night restrictions for ~44809 The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations if operating in Uncontrolled Airspace."
I just followed the link you provided. Page two section C.

4F78D052-CDDC-4F35-BE63-8B4DE3F416F2.png

^^^ That's a template of what a COA for 44089. It indeed has lots of "misinformation" (not unusual) but it's only a template. That shouldn't be on the FAA website IMHO.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ