DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused New Forum member

Is this test the same thing as the Part 107, or is there a different test to get commercial certification?

No. It’s a simple test just for recreational flying.

Part 107 is for commercial pilots in the US. The UK equivalent is the PfCO (Permission for Commercial Operations).

Reactions: old man mavic
That's not strictly what I meant but thank you for your reply. Its the fact that the Mavic Air 2 is heavier the 250g and I'm wondering if I need to pay out a lot of money on tests
Hi Tiny. You register the drone itself and yourself as the pilot simultaneously with the CAA who will then issue two numbers - one for you and one for the machine. For the pilot registration- which is FOC - you have to pass a 20 question test - like the driving theory test, being a multi-option. In addition it's open book so failing isn't an option!! Your drone reg number will cost £9 and if I recall correctly, is renewable annually. This number MUST be displayed in characters at least 3mm high in an area of the drone accessible without the need for tools. Mine is written on the stick strip of a postit note and taped in the battery compartment of the drone body.
Happy flying ✌

Hi Tiny. You register the drone itself and yourself as the pilot simultaneously with the CAA who will then issue two numbers - one for you and one for the machine. For the pilot registration- which is FOC - you have to pass a 20 question test - like the driving theory test, being a multi-option. In addition it's open book so failing isn't an option!! Your drone reg number will cost £9 and if I recall correctly, is renewable annually. This number MUST be displayed in characters at least 3mm high in an area of the drone accessible without the need for tools. Mine is written on the stick strip of a postit note and taped in the battery compartment of the drone body.
Happy flying ✌
@Bill Kennedy hi bill dont want to be rude, but are you aware that the op ID has to be mounted on the outside of the drones body, in the battery compartment is not a suitable place, it was when registration was rolled out, but soon after it was amended ,i have a number in the compartment in case the one on the outside comes off ,they decided that having to remove the battery to show the number was not good enough

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
@Bill Kennedy hi bill dont want to be rude, but are you aware that the op ID has to be mounted on the outside of the drones body, in the battery compartment is not a suitable place, it was when registration was rolled out, but soon after it was amended ,i have a number in the compartment in case the one on the outside comes off ,they decided that having to remove the battery to show the number was not good enough
Hi. Thanks for the gen - that change passed me by. Dynotape time!! Cheers bud.

Reactions: Bill Kennedy
I have only recently joined the Forums and having taken the said test and passed comfortably I registered with the CAA, paid my £9 and received my Operator id and Flyer id.
Now having read further into the posts and threads associated with the regulations for here in the UK, I believe that from the 1st January 2021, I will have to complete further training courses satisfactorily for A2CofC and GVC qualifications. These courses are going to cost a few hundred pounds and I reckon that my drone/quadcopter flying days are numbered. I do not have any intention of flying commercially but only as a hobby. Therefore it looks like I will not be flying again anytime soon.
OR AM I WRONG?

Do you have a link to a published change OMM.? I’ve checked the CAA website again and they’re still not stating external label required:

“How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool

clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
secure and safe from damage

on the main body of the aircraft”

Last edited:
Do you have a link to a published change OMM.? I’ve checked the CAA website again and they’re still not stating external label required:

“How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool

clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
secure and safe from damage

on the main body of the aircraft”
you are correct it does say that on the CAA website ,i believe it has to do with the BMFA members ,who were not happy having to put a number on the outside of a scale model aircraft ,so to accommodate ,this they have changed the wording to allow the number to be hidden inside a cowling but it must be able to be removed with out the aid of tools

I have only recently joined the Forums and having taken the said test and passed comfortably I registered with the CAA, paid my £9 and received my Operator id and Flyer id.
Now having read further into the posts and threads associated with the regulations for here in the UK, I believe that from the 1st January 2021, I will have to complete further training courses satisfactorily for A2CofC and GVC qualifications. These courses are going to cost a few hundred pounds and I reckon that my drone/quadcopter flying days are numbered. I do not have any intention of flying commercially but only as a hobby. Therefore it looks like I will not be flying again anytime soon.
OR AM I WRONG?
after the new rules come into force on the 1st of January 2021,then there will be a 2 year transitional period that covers drones that are currently in use ,all drones even the MM will need a op ID and fly ID simply because they have a camera ,after the two year period that ends on 31st Dec 2022,then apart from the MM they will have further restrictions ,with regards to distance from uninvolved people and where they can fly
the A2 CofC will be required after 31st dec 2020,if you want to take full advantage of the new C marked drones that will be coming on the market soon and will allow them to be flown closer to uninvolved people than they are now, depending on which C rating they fall into

after the new rules come into force on the 1st of January 2021,then there will be a 2 year transitional period that covers drones that are currently in use ,all drones even the MM will need a op ID and fly ID simply because they have a camera ,after the two year period that ends on 31st Dec 2022,then apart from the MM they will have further restrictions ,with regards to distance from uninvolved people and where they can fly
the A2 CofC will be required after 31st dec 2020,if you want to take full advantage of the new C marked drones that will be coming on the market soon and will allow them to be flown closer to uninvolved people than they are now, depending on which C rating they fall into

They couldn’t have made it more complicated if they’d tried. Rules get ignored now and it will only get worse when the new regulations come into force.

By the time the MP2, for example, becomes legacy, then experienced pilots will have increased restrictions imposed but a new pilot with one of the new compliant models will have lesser restrictions.

I hate using the car as an analogy but it’ll be like a learner having less restrictions imposed than a driver with years of driving experience. Go figure!

you are correct it does say that on the CAA website ,i believe it has to do with the BMFA members ,who were not happy having to put a number on the outside of a scale model aircraft ,so to accommodate ,this they have changed the wording to allow the number to be hidden inside a cowling but it must be able to be removed with out the aid of tools

Thanks OMM. Bless them, don’t want to spoil the look of the models. I’d feel the same though knowing how much work goes into building them.

Thanks OMM. Bless them, don’t want to spoil the look of the models. I’d feel the same though knowing how much work goes into building them.
Try these from

Attachments

• 40772D5F-410E-420F-91D6-97676132D351.jpeg
    40772D5F-410E-420F-91D6-97676132D351.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 25
  • 1A07E48C-C17E-4A14-BE89-1FD48265D845.jpeg
    1A07E48C-C17E-4A14-BE89-1FD48265D845.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 26
  • 2B619E98-F515-41B6-BD74-99FAD2EE4EAB.jpeg
    2B619E98-F515-41B6-BD74-99FAD2EE4EAB.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: