DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusion with UK Airspace regulations

Chris Rees

Reactions
I am a newbie and having difficulty understanding exactly what CTR (Controlled Traffic Regions) mean within the NATS app.
In the REGULATED AIRSPACE paragraph it states "We recommend you do not operate your drone here. If you do, blah blah blah.
What am I supposed to make of this vague regulation? We recommend.........? (but you can if you really want to) If you do, please exercise extreme caution.......? (no worries just do what you see fit)
Is this a Class D airspace? If so what does that mean? Can I fly in it? Do I need prior authorisation from ATC at my local airport (Bournemouth)?
If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. Thanks Chris

The airport area you cannot fly in.

Outwith that close by you have to be aware of the potential. I dont think you need to do anything other than abide by the Dronesafe code - calling the ATC guys is recommended but not necessary is how i approach this.

Im in Bournbenouth too down near the beach...

Last edited:
The airport area you cannot fly in.

Outwith that close by you have to be aware of the potential. I dont think you need to do anything other than abide by the Dronesafe code - calling the ATC guys is recommended but not necessary is how i approach this.

Im in Bournbenouth too down near the beach...
Thanks for the info, obviously abide by the Dronesafe Code and have my Flyer ID. I would like to fly my MM2 along the beach front when quiet observing the code of course. CTR just seems very vague. Flight Restriction Zone here is very clear tho.

@Chris Rees it means a volume of controlled air space around an airport that manned aircraft must not enter without clearance from air traffic control ,it is why you see planes circling an airport it is to protect the airspace above an airport ,there will be planes taking off and landing within that airspace at varying heights so this is why the CAA say not recommended to fly there,to put it another way ,its the exclusion zone around an airport ,shown in the drone code ,and if you fly in that area then you are going to be in trouble if you are caught doing it ,where a TFR is put in place for a specific reason and time,a CTR is permanent ,to fly there legally you would have to have the blessing of the airports ATC ,with all the requirements ,that that entails

@Chris Rees it means a volume of controlled air space around an airport that manned aircraft must not enter without clearance from air traffic control ,it is why you see planes circling an airport it is to protect the airspace above an airport ,there will be planes taking off and landing within that airspace at varying heights so this is why the CAA say not recommended to fly there,to put it another way ,its the exclusion zone around an airport ,shown in the drone code ,and if you fly in that area then you are going to be in trouble if you are caught doing it ,where a TFR is put in place for a specific reason and time,a CTR is permanent ,to fly there legally you would have to have the blessing of the airports ATC ,with all the requirements ,that that entails
Thanks for the info, I understand more clearly now. Happy flying ?

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka