DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Connection Lost!" -> Panic? (using Litchi)

56_kruiser

Reactions
I was flying a waypoint mission today. about 2/3 through I got a connection lost notification. I immediately filled my britches with chum. (First time for this experience).

I wasn't sure what to do. I tried this:

1. Tried controls - nothing
  2. Tried pause - it continued
So, I was wondering if I should close litchi, and reopen it with hopes it would reconnect. Did not try that. (I was only 65' in the air, and I was moving 2.5 mph, and was walking close to right under it).

It reached the end of the mission, and stopped in the air. I had the end of mission action set to Reverse...but I"m not having any luck with that. (Different thread open on that problem).

So I thought, well, I'll try RTH. That worked...albeit with it then flying over people which you aren't supposed to do. RTH was at 98'.

So I came out OK.

But I interest in hearing your thoughts on how this should be handled in the future. I don't recall if I had lost connection response to be RTH or not. I suspect I don't. I will change that.

There was a lot of wifi around the area. Is that likely what caused the connection lost?

INterested in your thoughts.

Luckily, Litchi way point missions don't really need the controller, or a connection: you set the path, upload it to the bird, and it flies itself. I've gone out of reach a number of times, and it's always a little bit scary -- but it always comes back.

Bear in mind that if you're directly under the MA, your antenna should be pointed straight out, rather than up.

Luckily, Litchi way point missions don't really need the controller, or a connection: you set the path, upload it to the bird, and it flies itself. I've gone out of reach a number of times, and it's always a little bit scary -- but it always comes back.

Bear in mind that if you're directly under the MA, your antenna should be pointed straight out, rather than up.

Thanks for that last tip.

But here's the thing: I have the mission set to reverse at the end, which I assume it is supposed to just retrace the route to the end, going back. Doeosn't do it.

The other thing, I didn't have the Smart Return to HOme on: when I turn it on, it turns right back off. (Coulc that be because at the time I set it I did not have the drone powered up?)

So...I'm thinking I"m hosed. I was real surprised to have it RTH when I hit the RTH button while it wsa in a Lost Connection state.

I probably need a good Standard Settings list to be sure I am in good shape. Also if there are caveats such as settings won't take if you don't have the drone powered up (I'm just thinking of that possibly being why the Smart Return to HOme wasn't taking...which frankly, I"m not sure when/what that is supposed to do).

As you can see, I'm in the early stages of my learning curve.

I appreciate the reply.

One should always set thier last waypoint near the spot that they launched from so that the end of the Mission Waypoint will cause Lichti to fly back to your location. Even if signal is lost.
The first time you do this you have to be very brave as I have flown a mission and lost connection as the drone lost line of sight connection with the Remote Controller. The mission just flew and the Mavic Pro returned to the last waypoint - just over my head.

Reactions: Jack Daw
One should always set thier last waypoint near the spot that they launched from so that the end of the Mission Waypoint will cause Lichti to fly back to your location. Even if signal is lost.
The first time you do this you have to be very brave as I have flown a mission and lost connection as the drone lost line of sight connection with the Remote Controller. The mission just flew and the Mavic Pro returned to the last waypoint - just over my head.

My learning curve is making gains, but lots more to go.

Interesting input here: instead of making my last waypoint close to the first, I had set end of mission to reverse. I was flying in a location that not retracing the path would have taken me over people.

BUT...turns out reverse won't operate automatically. I didn't know that at the time, so I expected it to just get to the end, and go back. Nada.

More thoughts in support of the panic: even if it returned back to a last way point near start, with no connection, how would I land it? Turns out the RTH cured my panic, at the expense of flying over people. Should RTH work even with no connection? Or did it just happen to make connection at that time?

So I guess maybe a person should build into missions a landing at least near home.

Makes me fearful of using anything for end of mission other than RTH. I am going to search out more info on lost connections.

Does my rambling make any sense?

Found some good info in this post about loss of connection and what happens.

Well Loss of Connection is usually caused by Obstacles or flying too far away. As the drone fly's back it typically regains connection on its own. Thats why you create the last waypoint in the Mission to be near to your take off point.

Well Loss of Connection is usually caused by Obstacles or flying too far away. As the drone fly's back it typically regains connection on its own. Thats why you create the last waypoint in the Mission to be near to your take off point.

Glad to know it typically reattaches. I don't know that it did in this case. I wasn't notified...my eyes were on the drone.

I will be taking that approach moving forward.

IN this case, I definitely was not far away, in fact I was almost below it walking with it. but earlier in the thread someone mentioned I need to have the antennas straight out which I did not.

Not sure why it lost connection. I was not on wifi type connection. But there is a lot of wifi in the area.

Yup. I was about to say the same thing. I've never tried the Reverse thing, largely because, if the route is at all long and/or complicated, you risk running down your battery before it gets home. I just place a final waypoint right by me.

Yup. I was about to say the same thing. I've never tried the Reverse thing, largely because, if the route is at all long and/or complicated, you risk running down your battery before it gets home. I just place a final waypoint right by me.

I tried the reverse thing today...it is worthless. I'll post on that in the Reverse thread I opened. I have decided the recommandations here are the way to go.

Although, using RTH as the task when the Waypoints are finished should probably be OK too.

I am still confused about how the RTH worked when I had lost connection.

Sounds like your cable to the controller is bad,I've had that happen few time where I would reboot the app. Then started using usb problem disappeared.

Sounds like your cable to the controller is bad,I've had that happen few time where I would reboot the app. Then started using usb problem disappeared.

So, would that be after finishing the mission?

I had thought that, but I read somewhere that wasn't the case.

I guess the RTH it did was coincidentally at the same time I pressed RTH on the controller. It was probably at least close to a minute after losing connection and 30 seconds after arrival at last way point.

In litchi the mission will continue even with lost connection. You had connection just not to you tab/phone same with go4.

First off, since you posted in a general forum, it helps to know what model Mavic you have.

I haven't experience with Litchi and M2 doesn't yet have regular waypoint available through Go, from what I've learned with Phantoms and others confirmed here, uploaded waypoints run autonomously even when Rc to AC connection is lost. Though that overrides fail-safe RTH, it doesn't override low battery RTH.

Did RC show "connecting" when you lost connection, and if so, did RC regain connection? After all, the RC can still control the AC, even if the app disconnects/crashes.

That's assuming it was only the app that disconnected and not the RC to AC.

Almosts sounds like app. Crashed like all of us first couple times panicked. Probably didnt look at controller just where his bird is going down. May have never really lost controller ,rth wasnt pushed long enough or verified.

First off, since you posted in a general forum, it helps to know what model Mavic you have.

I haven't experience with Litchi and M2 doesn't yet have regular waypoint available through Go, from what I've learned with Phantoms and others confirmed here, uploaded waypoints run autonomously even when Rc to AC connection is lost. Though that overrides fail-safe RTH, it doesn't override low battery RTH.

Did RC show "connecting" when you lost connection, and if so, did RC regain connection? After all, the RC can still control the AC, even if the app disconnects/crashes.

If you check my sig at bottom of post, it says what drone I have.

I did later comment that I wasn't notified, although to better say... I did not see or hear any notification of reconnection. But as I was in panic mode, watching the drone instantly and not the controller, maybe it did.

After all, the RC can still control the AC, even if the app disconnects/crashes.[

Interesting. That is what I was wondering...so, I guess that my RTH on the controller is what caused it to RTH. Brings up more questions for me, as it can really get confusing now:

So to be clear...the message 'Connection Lost' is specific to the app, and not the controller?

How would I know if it actually loses connection to the controller? Off the top of my head, if the RTH did NOT work then controller lost connection maybe.

My app did not crash...so do you recon I did lose connection to the controller?

And if not losing connection to the controller, and the app did not crash...is it a surprise that I 'lost connection'?

Sorry for all the questions...but it all of a sudden is confusing.

Glad you mentioned this. Makes me realize that I need to get a backup cable, and also be sure I have a USB available.

JFYI...the instance discussed here is the ONLY time I have had the issue. The app on the phone did not appear to be having problems...although I did completely reboot to be sure all was fresh after that happened.

Drone records your Home Point during take off and when signal is lost it initiates RTH.

I was thinking that, but it did finish the mission, and just hover, until I hit the RTH, which at this point I'm not sure if the RTH happened due to my hitting it or due to the lost connection, given all the discussion up to this point.

If I know that it would have done the RTH in any event, which sounds like the case, then no cause to fill my pants with chum in the future. ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters