DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering ipad Mini - question regarding WiFi only.

Just so you know, the follow features have been used for some interesting things. Here's a quick one I did back in 2015 with a Phantom 3:
and I've seen lots of other interesting ones.

Just so you know, the follow features have been used for some interesting things. Here's a quick one I did back in 2015 with a Phantom 3:
and I've seen lots of other interesting ones.
Nice video. Of course using a WiFi only iPad doesn’t mean you cant use your phone for a follow me flight. I have not used follow me—I have used/tried Active Track—but one of these days maybe I’ll try it. I flew with my iPhone X before I got a WiFi mini 4 so I’m sure it won’t be too terrible to use it for a follow me flight. It’d be a nice intro for a road trip vid.

Mike

Yeah and Litchi is far superior in this area. Not only does it follow the height of the mobile device (assuming GPS of course) but they have a Magic Leash feature where you can link to a second mobile device and follow that. That video didn't show off Litchi correctly - it was their first release, a beta. A week later I made this one with proper terrain following (although hard to see in the video):

Msinger is correct on +/- but....
I bought an iPad mini for the same reason as you have. I have an iPhone if I want the follow me feature but it isn’t something that is that important to me. I bought my Mini from Apple refurbished store at a great discount with the full guarantee from Apple.(It seems not to have been used but maybe a display or demo) It fits nicely in the controller of MP too. My thinking also was that as DJI continues to improve drones there might be a day that the map function could be a built in feature of a new drone. I got what I wanted/needed. Love the larger screen
Which iPad Mini did you buy? I am looking for cheap and to be dedicated to my MP.

As peviously mentioned, there are plenty of iPad Mini 5 tablets available on eBay for $250-300. There doesn‘t appear to be a discenible premium for Cellular capability which will give you the GPS capability that is missing from the WiFi Only iPads. There is no need to subscribe to a cellular carrier - simply HotSpot to your phone for an internet connection. You’ll basically have a “Poor Man’s Smart Controller”.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242