DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering ipad Mini - question regarding WiFi only.

....I have an older, small Samsung Tab that is WiFi only. I am not yet sure that it has the horsepower or compatibility to run the Go4 app though...
You already have the Samsung. It only cost you time to find out if it will work. I use a Samsung Tab A connected via USB, set in airplane mode so there is no internet or WiFi use, and have no other apps running. It works great and the display is more than adequate on a sunny day. I also turned off auto-update to keep my Go 4 version 4.1.15.

I use iPad mini 4 (WiFi) ... only recently purchased it and it’s brilliant. I use it for both my MP and P3S. Absolutely no issues ... love it. [emoji106]

Reactions: Lopez0015
Do yourself a favor if you plan on doing much hobby flying and if your commercial
Then YOU ABSOLUTELY should spend the extra and get cellular.

I have an iPad Min 4 and love it. Works great with the Mavic plus I now have a device I can use for email, web and Waze navigation. Great little device :)

I used to use a Samsung S7 but with a near fly away {maybe because a) the phone was trying to do too much, b) interference from the phone or c) android app vs apple}, decided to switch to an iPad mini with my Pixel 2 phone providing a hotspot.

Love this combo. Highly recommended.

Good luck!
Ajoy

I spent the past year flying with an iPad mini 2 without cellular. I rarely fly where a cellular connection is available. While not necessary a GPS receiver is preferable in my opinion so I use a Garmin bluetooth GPS receiver. I cache the maps ahead of time. Caching google maps is a bit more straight forward, but as the DJI Go 4 app does not use Google Maps I generally fly with Litchi.

One big downside to the iPad mini 2 is the screen brightness which requires a good to use in the bright sun. IMO flying with a hood sucks.

I recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung S9+. While I have not flown extensively with the Samsung, so far it has been glitch free. The screen is amazingly bright solving the hood problem.

I do still bring the iPad mini for those times I want to fly with Lichi.

Reactions: Aerial West
I just went through this...
I was using an iPhone 5s for my Mavic Pro but was growing weary of the small screen.
I had planned on buy the iPad Mini 4 cellular but they're just too expensive & I couldn't find one used that worked on the cell phone system where I live(Jamaica).
I ended up getting a iPad Mini 4 WiFi only brand new for $300.
Tethered to my iPhone 5s (through HotSpot) when flying, I have maps.
I haven't tested all of the Intelligent Flight Modes but it works great with POI & Waypoints which is all I really use anyway.
I will try Active Track soon.
I had read that you lose a couple of the IFMs & maps without being tethered.
The extra screen real estate is amazing.
Don't buy the iPad Mini 2. I don't think it will be able to handle the GO 4 app in the very near future.
I think the iPad Mini 4 has a good amount of compatibility time left on it.

Reactions: TimFlex
I thought that all you need is a WiFi device since the DJI controller has GPS built in?

Last edited:
Crystals you looks very nice with some good features, but there is a big difference in price (double the cost when you add the mount and SD cards)

DJI development seems to favour apple products at the expense of Android users which would include crystalsky owners. I've used both android and apple apps and the stability of apple is miles ahead. I have an iPad 4 mini wifi used mostly for mavic flying.

Thank you all for your great input on this topic / dilemma.

Just an update from my end... today I was able to load the Go4 app onto my older Samsung Tab fine, and it will connect to either my S7 hotspot or my Verizon MiFi without issue. I was also able to squeeze it into the MP controller arms, hook it up with a longer cable and the bottom USB port of the controller. I was pretty pumped at his point...all coming together and I was envisioning how things were going to look on the larger screen. But... although the app would load, it would not connect to the MP, I couldn't get it to anything other than showing "Disconnected". I tried doing a couple short flights in the yard, tried closing everything on the tablet, rebooting it, restarting the controller, the MP, the app along with trying the Tablet connected to home WiFi, my MiFi hotspot unit and my S7 as a hotspot....I never could get it to show anything other than Disconnected. It appears that my Samsung Tab is just not powerful enough to work.
So that's where I'm at... I am thinking that I will go with a new WiFi only Samsung Tab or iPad Mini 4 and have it connect to the Internet via the MiFi unit - probably the iPad because of the DJI/Apple ties. And then I guess if I need the direct cell network connection on occasion for specific fight features, I can revert back to using my S7 with the controller.
How does that sound?
Thanks again for you input, All.

PS - At the risk of annoying those here that shared their input, I'm thinking that I may start another thread to ask/poll what everyone (else) is using with their MP controllers.

Reactions: Aerial West
The Mini 4 cellular works best for me; I have been using one since before DJI recommend it.

Something not mentioned is the Mini 4 cellular not only has GPS but also an internal barometer. This is very useful with drones that have dynamic altitude like the 3DR Solo. Most of my flying is in follow mode on trails with elevation changes so DA is a requirement.

I find GPS follow using GO 4 very poor, active track is more useful. Litchi used to support DA I don't know if they still do, I stopped using DJI drones for follow.

The Mini 4 fits my MP controller but is a little tight for my comfort; however, the display is bright enough and I never had any performance problems.

Hello all, I have seen a couple of references to this but I just wanted to get some clarification. I have been flying my Mavic Pro for a couple of months now using my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone with the controller. I have had some glitchiness here and there but for the most part it has worked fine. Aside for the potential of more issues while trying to use it to fly I am finding that the screen is really too small/too difficult to see a lot of the time and am thinking that a tablet is the way to go. What I am trying to figure out is what the best way to go is....I have an older, small Samsung Tab that is WiFi only. I am not yet sure that it has the horsepower or compatibility to run the Go4 app though. I could go out and get an iPad Mini and have the benefits of the power of a new/dedicated device (what's more money at this point?!?) and the better DJI compatibility to use. But I would be inclined to go WiFi only with that too if that doesn't limit things too much. My phone can be used as a hotspot and I also have a Verizon 4GLTE MiFI unit as well that I could tether either device to. But what am I giving up (if anything) in going about it this way versus running the controller with a phone or tablet that has cell service? I would appreciate any pluses and minuses any of you have from experience as well as suggestions for what approach I should take. Thanks!
I use a iPad Mini 4 WiFi only and you will not be giving up anything....You do not need data plan to fly your Mavic, just make sure you turn it on and everything is updated before you leave home, this would include caching the maps at the place you are heading out to fly at... do not let anyone tell you anything different about needing a Tablet with a data connection, ((( WiFi Only Works just fine )))

I have turned on 'Personal Hotspot' on my iPhone 6. I've checked that I can connect my iPad Mini3 to the wi-fi hotspot on my iPhone.

If I use my iPad Mini to drive my MP using DJI GO 4 and I have my iPhone 6 connected via 4G to the internet, will I get GPS and all other services normally available on my iPhone on the iPad Mini?

I hope that's clear?

I thought that all you need is a WiFi device since the DJI controller has GPS built in?

No, the controller doesn't have GPS!

I got the iPad mini 4 Cellular for the GPS, but I haven't inserted any SIM, i.e. I don't pay any monthly fees. If I need data out in the field, I activate my phone's WiFi Tethering.

Hello all, I have seen a couple of references to this but I just wanted to get some clarification. I have been flying my Mavic Pro for a couple of months now using my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone with the controller. I have had some glitchiness here and there but for the most part it has worked fine. Aside for the potential of more issues while trying to use it to fly I am finding that the screen is really too small/too difficult to see a lot of the time and am thinking that a tablet is the way to go. What I am trying to figure out is what the best way to go is....I have an older, small Samsung Tab that is WiFi only. I am not yet sure that it has the horsepower or compatibility to run the Go4 app though. I could go out and get an iPad Mini and have the benefits of the power of a new/dedicated device (what's more money at this point?!?) and the better DJI compatibility to use. But I would be inclined to go WiFi only with that too if that doesn't limit things too much. My phone can be used as a hotspot and I also have a Verizon 4GLTE MiFI unit as well that I could tether either device to. But what am I giving up (if anything) in going about it this way versus running the controller with a phone or tablet that has cell service? I would appreciate any pluses and minuses any of you have from experience as well as suggestions for what approach I should take. Thanks!
Hey there,

I have alot of experience here on this, and am happy to share. I have flown with the galaxy s7, the s8, and ipad mini 2, 3, 4, ipad 9.7 and 10.5.

I have never needed to have cellular. For mapping, I locally cache google maps, and have the maps downloaded. i do this through wifi while still connected at home. the maps come up fine when I am at the location.

I am a huge fan of android and had the very first one.. but I'm sad to report the android app is just not as clean as the IOS app, and therefore buggier. it's mostly the fact that android is an open platform, but DJI just hasnt fixed all the bugs.

I have to have a perfect view of the screen when I fly with no light pollution, so I use a full hood.

I use this hood here:
http://www.mavmount.com/index.php/product/hoodman-hav1-for-mavic-drone-sun-shade/

And of course i use this to make that happen. Full disclosure mavmount is me.

http://www.mavmount.com/index.php/product-category/mavic-spark-air-drone-ipad-tablet-mount-holder/

I have found that using my ipad only for flying has kept it bug free, fast, and never has connection issues. With the hood, i have perfect exposure on my camera because i can see the screen.

Hope this helps.

Without cell service (and no connection via a hotspot), you won't be able to use any features that require an Internet connection. For example, you won't be able to download and display the maps in real-time. If the maps are cached ahead of time, then there really is no reason you'd need to download them in real-time.

Also, if you don't buy a cellular iPad model, the iPad won't have a GPS receiver. That means you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (if you need to use those features).
Not true Mavic has inbuilt GPS it’s only Inspire2 that doesn’t

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji