DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering ipad Mini - question regarding WiFi only.

Onward/Upward

Reactions
Hello all, I have seen a couple of references to this but I just wanted to get some clarification. I have been flying my Mavic Pro for a couple of months now using my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone with the controller. I have had some glitchiness here and there but for the most part it has worked fine. Aside for the potential of more issues while trying to use it to fly I am finding that the screen is really too small/too difficult to see a lot of the time and am thinking that a tablet is the way to go. What I am trying to figure out is what the best way to go is....I have an older, small Samsung Tab that is WiFi only. I am not yet sure that it has the horsepower or compatibility to run the Go4 app though. I could go out and get an iPad Mini and have the benefits of the power of a new/dedicated device (what's more money at this point?!?) and the better DJI compatibility to use. But I would be inclined to go WiFi only with that too if that doesn't limit things too much. My phone can be used as a hotspot and I also have a Verizon 4GLTE MiFI unit as well that I could tether either device to. But what am I giving up (if anything) in going about it this way versus running the controller with a phone or tablet that has cell service? I would appreciate any pluses and minuses any of you have from experience as well as suggestions for what approach I should take. Thanks!

Reactions: Aerial West
But what am I giving up (if anything) in going about it this way versus running the controller with a phone or tablet that has cell service?
Without cell service (and no connection via a hotspot), you won't be able to use any features that require an Internet connection. For example, you won't be able to download and display the maps in real-time. If the maps are cached ahead of time, then there really is no reason you'd need to download them in real-time.

Also, if you don't buy a cellular iPad model, the iPad won't have a GPS receiver. That means you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (if you need to use those features).

That means you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (if you need to use those features).

Both of those features are IMO huge -- worth paying AT&T $26.50/month x 20 months for the cellular version v. $15/month x 20months for WiFi with a credit card (assuming a price of about $300).

Both of those features are IMO huge -- worth paying AT&T $26.50/month x 20 months for the cellular version v. $15/month x 20months for WiFi with a credit card (assuming a price of about $300).
You don't need wifi at all though. Paying for cell service would be a waste. I would recommend him getting something like the crystalsky. It has gps, is made by dji, and it has way better visibility than any ipad.

Reactions: krnlueck
I got the iPad mini without cell capabilities and am happy having a clean and simple system without the extra data charges and the attendant intrusion, I also fly most often in areas of little or no cell coverage.

It's a great size, portable yet with a screen big enough to fly by.

I've been flying with the iPad mini 2 wifi for 3 weeks now and had zero problems. All depends on how much you want to use Follow Me and reset home. Your call on that one...

Reactions: drrjv
Msinger is correct on +/- but....
I bought an iPad mini for the same reason as you have. I have an iPhone if I want the follow me feature but it isn’t something that is that important to me. I bought my Mini from Apple refurbished store at a great discount with the full guarantee from Apple.(It seems not to have been used but maybe a display or demo) It fits nicely in the controller of MP too. My thinking also was that as DJI continues to improve drones there might be a day that the map function could be a built in feature of a new drone. I got what I wanted/needed. Love the larger screen

Reactions: krnlueck and drrjv
I know many here love the iPad, but I wouldn't recommend it. I have the galaxy s7 and have used an iPad 4 mini. To me, the brightness on both devices just wasn't good enough. They both have the same brightness at around 450 nits, which for me, just doesn't cut it in bright sunlight. If you are at all unsatisfied with the brightness on your s7, you will have the same experience on an iPad. I'm telling you, there is no comparison to the crystalsky. The brightness on the lowest tier crystalsky is 1000 nits. If you haven't used one, it's like looking at a phone in the dark, but you are actually outside. It is that bright and clear. If there is any way you could test one, do it. I know you would be amazed.

Heck no, not in my opinion at all. Follow Me doesn’t even work reliably enough unless in wide open flat areas. I don’t think I ever reset the home point to the controller since I prefer precision take off.

All that said, you can buy a tiny Bluetooth receiver for less cost than just the increase in price of the cellular mini over the WiFi mini. That is not even factoring in the monthly fees.

Since OP already has several ways to get internet to a WiFi mini I see no need to spend the extra money on the cell version, and sure the heck wouldn’t recommend activating service on it.

All that said, it’s not all or nothing. If the OP absolutely has to use Follow Me for a flight they can easily use the phone they are already using right now for that flight—which will be with them anyway. My guess is that will rarely be needed.

Mike

I know many here love the iPad, but I wouldn't recommend it. I have the galaxy s7 and have used an iPad 4 mini. To me, the brightness on both devices just wasn't good enough. They both have the same brightness at around 450 nits, which for me, just doesn't cut it in bright sunlight. If you are at all unsatisfied with the brightness on your s7, you will have the same experience on an iPad.
Disagree to a degree :).

My iPhone X is about the same brightness as the iPad mini 4. But the screen is much larger, so to me there is a huge difference even if in bright sun. In bright sun, when using my IPhone X, I have to deal with brightness AND a small screen—that is rough. With the mini my eyes seem to adjust much better than they ever did with the X.

I should note I also have dji goggles which are fantastic in sun. But still I usually just use my iPad mini.

Mike

Disagree to a degree :).

My iPhone X is about the same brightness as the iPad mini 4. But the screen is much larger, so to me there is a huge difference even if in bright sun. In bright sun, when using my IPhone X, I have to deal with brightness AND a small screen—that is rough. With the mini my eyes seem to adjust much better than they ever did with the X.

I should note I also have dji goggles which are fantastic in sun. But still I usually just use my iPad mini.

Mike
I have never used an iPhone x, but that is quite odd I must say. The max brightness on an iPhone x is about 50% more than an ipad. I would have thought the clarity on the iPhone x would have been much better. I may have to borrow my buddies iPhone x one day so I can see it with my own eyes. So are you perfectly happy with the brightness on your ipad? Or would you like it brighter if it was possible?

I found my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone to be to small, and I had issues with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet (model T710 works, but T713 is difficult to connect to the RC). Anyway, I just bought an iPad mini 4. I wanted the WiFi+Cellular and found a 16Gb unit locally on OfferUp for $250. You do not have to sign up for phone service in order for the GPS receiver to work.

Reactions: drrjv
I have never used an iPhone x, but that is quite odd I must say. The max brightness on an iPhone x is about 50% more than an ipad. I would have thought the clarity on the iPhone x would have been much better. I may have to borrow my buddies iPhone x one day so I can see it with my own eyes. So are you perfectly happy with the brightness on your ipad? Or would you like it brighter if it was possible?
Of course I would like it brighter! But without a doubt I prefer it over my iPhone X. My point was that even if screen brightness is equal, a larger sized screen is still better. In my case, I cringe should I forget to put the mini back in the Mavic's case and have to fly with the iPhone X.

I will say I was initially a bit disappointed when I first got the mini 4, being that it is raved about so much around here, as I was expecting it to be brighter (it is about the same brightness as my ancient iPad 3). At first I assumed it was because my mini 4 was a demo model I snagged at Walmart for $99. I thought it must have been on 24/7 for like six months and the lamp(s) was/were just getting worn out. I even went out and bought a brand new mini 4 from Target, since I thought it would be brighter. Alas, it was the same so I brought that right back. Then I tried flying with the mini 4 and, lo and behold, it was indeed much better than with my iPhone X.

I considered a CS, but to be honest for every comment here that raves about the mini 4, there seemed to be the opposite made about the CS. It's one thing to spend a lot for something that works rock-solid, all the time. But it seemed in the case of CS this may not be the case--and my luck I'd be one of the unlucky ones. I also was kind of put off that it was not a general Android tablet and more of a flying tablet only. So I chose the Goggles for bright sun. Well, they ended up to be something I didn't want to use for flying al ofl the time, and that brought me to the mini 4.

Mike

Last edited:
I have a iPad mini 4 ,all depends how or where you use you drone , controller gets a bit heavy, plus you have to carry and extra gadget , if you flying in a park just get the iPad my mini WiFi only
I get my on eBay cellular version 16 Gigabytes for 350 dlls, I’ve never ran out space

Of course I would like it brighter! But without a doubt I prefer it over my iPhone X. My point was that even if screen brightness is equal, a larger sized screen is still better. In my case, I cringe should I forget to put the mini back in the Mavic's case and have to fly with the iPhone X.

I will say I was initially a bit disappointed when I first got the mini 4, being that it is raved about so much around here, as I was expecting it to be brighter (it is about the same brightness as my ancient iPad 3). At first I assumed it was because my mini 4 was a demo model I snagged at Walmart for $99. I thought it must have been on 24/7 for like six months and the lamp(s) was/were just getting worn out. I even went out and bought a brand new mini 4 from Target, since I thought it would be brighter. Alas, it was the same so I brought that right back. Then I tried flying with the mini 4 and, lo and behold, it was indeed much better than with my iPhone X.

I considered a CS, but to be honest for every comment here that raves about the mini 4, there seemed to be the opposite made about the CS. It's one thing to spend a lot for something that works rock-solid, all the time. But it seemed in the case of CS this may not be the case--and my luck I'd be one of the unlucky ones. I also was kind of put off that it was not a general Android tablet and more of a flying tablet only. So I chose the Goggles for bright sun. Well, they ended up to be something I didn't want to use for flying al ofl the time, and that brought me to the mini 4.

Mike
I would definitely choose the larger screen, phones just don't quite cut it. Screen shades are always an option, so super bright screens aren't a must, but they are really nice to have. And I agree about the goggles, I love the picture quality. They are just so huge lol. If they combined the picture quality of the goggles with the form factor of the bt-300s, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Tinmania
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan