DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control apps w/ >500m height

Reactions
I fly in the Cascade mountains. There are many line of sight <122mAGL flight opportunities that would result in going more than 500m above my starting point. I have done all the FW shenanigans to remove the 500m limit from my Mavic Pro, but DJI Go 4 is hard coded to 500m, as is Litchi. Are there are control apps that will let me fly more than 500m above my home point? Note that I'm not talking about +500mAGL, I'm talking about flying up the side of a mountain. See my post from this weekend if you want the details of one of the planned routes.

No. It is a part of the firmware not the software.

I flashed FW 03.0700, updated the params, and then flashed a special version of 04.0300 that doesn't update the parameters. See attached. But my problem is that the vehicle is fine w/ more than 500m, but DJI GO 4 and Litchi are not.

5-23-2018 2-20-57 PM.jpg

you need to roll the firmware back to .007 and then root you mp. plenty of vids on you tube.

Yes. And I did that. See my earlier reply. I'm quite confident my bird is willing to go more than 500m up. But DJI GO 4 and Litchi will not. That's the problem.

If you changed the height limit parameter with assistant, anything the app says will be ignored. Try changing the app limit to 5m and go fly.

Reactions: Kilrah
If you changed the height limit parameter with assistant, anything the app says will be ignored. Try changing the app limit to 5m and go fly.

I flew this weekend at (47.4185, -121.1747) after making the changes shown above with DJI GO 4, and the MP stopped at 500m. DJI GO 4 has its own setting for max altitude and you can only set it between 20m and 500m. Ditto Litchi.

I flew this weekend at (47.4185, -121.1747) after making the changes shown above with DJI GO 4, and the MP stopped at 500m. DJI GO 4 has its own setting for max altitude and you can only set it between 20m and 500m. Ditto Litchi.

Follow this guide and you'll be all set:

Any way to climb the mountain and launch at a higher elevation?
Or, what if you climb up say 450m, find a spot to land. Then take off again? Will that give you an extra 500m from there? Just have to watch the battery, cos the calculated battery % to return home would be incorrect.

Found my problem. Pilot error. I fixed three parameters, but there was a fourth I had missed in the video- an enable that needs to be something other than "1". Just flew two 1000+m climbs on neighboring Cascade mountains.

Reactions: lolo780
just remember it takes quite a bit of battery to climb AND DESCEND from those extended altitudes.

Plan your flight times accordingly, especially where you might have wind issues in mountain areas.

just remember it takes quite a bit of battery to climb AND DESCEND from those extended altitudes.

Plan your flight times accordingly, especially where you might have wind issues in mountain areas.
Descending at 10m/s uses minimal battery near sea level. In thinner air Manual mode allows unlimited descent speed.

Thank you. I try to do a 20% out, 20% back test flight on my first battery in any given situation, then the second and third batts are for two "summit attempts". Then I try to always turn around at 60% (or sooner if flying with a tailwind).

Descending at 10m/s uses minimal battery near sea level. In thinner air Manual mode allows unlimited descent speed.

Lolo, thank you for recommending I watch the short video. I had seen it before, and moved onto his detailed video (since I had to flash FW twice) but watching the short video made me realize I had missed the enabling parameter in his long video.

I wish I could drop like a stone on the descent, but I'm trying to live within the 122mAGL so I pick a slope and hug the mountainside (within reason.) El Cap would be impossible, even if it wasn't in a Nat'l Park...

Reactions: lolo780
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato