DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control Stick modes seem wrong to me

lancealotg

Reactions
I know mode 2 is the default mode but wouldn't it make more sense to swap the roll and yaw in mode 2 from the right and left sticks?
This way it would more mimic a real helicopters control, especially now with camera telemetry that makes you feel like you are in a cockpit.
You use the right stick (cyclic in a helicopter) and push forward to increase forward speed and use the same stick moving left and right to roll the aircraft to a new heading.

Does this make sense or am i missing something?

I think you are talking about Mode 3 ... It is possible to select mode 3 as the operational mode for the Mavic Pro & Mavic 2 Pro Controllers. But - that also swaps up/down and forward/back sticks too.
In regard to moving the cyclic left & right in a real helicopter, that doesn't change aircraft heading. Like any aircraft, when you put on left aileron/cyclic, you should balance that out with left rudder as well (you keep the ball centred on the turn & slip indicator), otherwise the aircraft will have to fly off-axis to maintain height.
It's something you get used to I guess ... Personally, I find it easier to make climbing and descending turns with the Mode 2 configuration.

turn_slip.jpg

I have considered switching my mode to 1 I believe with side- side and forward-back on the left and right-left turn and elevation on right. If my brain malfunctions for a second I tend to try and reorientate the drone with the left stick and end up strafing. It just makes me wonder if I shouldn't switch the setting to match my inclination. Some day I will try it on the last battery just for giggles but at this point, I would also be messing with a little bit of muscle memory. Then again playing Overwatch on the switch messes with my drone muscle memory. :)

I used to fly older drones that had no telemetry and used Mode 2. I like having the main flight controls on my right hand
I might see if I can modify mode 2 to behave more like a helicopter.

When I used to fly fixed wing, the adverse yaw when turning from the upwind leg to the crosswind leg after a touch and go with a slow airspeed and full power was extreme.
If you did not compensate with coordinated rudder, the plane would actually yaw opposite of your ailerons. You feed left aileron and the nose would yaw to the right, really unsettling.

I know mode 2 is the default mode but wouldn't it make more sense to swap the roll and yaw in mode 2 from the right and left sticks?
This way it would more mimic a real helicopters control, especially now with camera telemetry that makes you feel like you are in a cockpit.
You use the right stick (cyclic in a helicopter) and push forward to increase forward speed and use the same stick moving left and right to roll the aircraft to a new heading.

Does this make sense or am i missing something?
I’ve always thought the most critical control on my drone was up/down. Left stick controls that just like the collective in a helicopter (Assuming you’re PIC in the right seat), so it seems fairly intuitive. But it’s really just a matter of personal preference. Im so used to Mode 2 I’d probably crash into myself if I tried s9mething else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imMike507