DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control sticks modification

Reactions
Hi All, I will be taking my commercial pilots qualification here in the UK soon. Here, it's part of the qualification to take a practical flying test which comprises of having to fly figure of eights and other flight paths. I often find the Mavic Airs controller sticks a bit too sensitive, even after lowering the settings in the EXP in the DJI Go app. I read somewhere that you can buy extenders for the sticks to make them less sensitive, i.e if they're longer then very accurate movements can be made without the aircraft moving say into a turn much too quickly. WIth this in mind I got hold of a few spare controller sticks and just glued them together on the jagged edge with some 2 part epoxy. I'm aiming to maybe wrap a rubber band around the now ‘top’ of the sticks for extra grip. Anyone had success/more control with this method of extended sticks? Pic of my mod shown below.IMG_3376.jpg

Reactions: Ds67888
I like that. I’m going to have to do that. I always thought the same

I wonder how long the epoxy will hold

I wonder how long the epoxy will hold
Funny you should mention that.... I've just taken a test flight with the new ‘improved’ extra long sticks and on clicking them back into the groove on the underside of the controller ‘snap’. Oh well... I have to say the extra length worked a treat - much more refined movement and no jerky turns. Just need to make sure that I use better epoxy next time.

Funny you should mention that.... I've just taken a test flight with the new ‘improved’ extra long sticks and on clicking them back into the groove on the underside of the controller ‘snap’. Oh well... I have to say the extra length worked a treat - much more refined movement and no jerky turns. Just need to make sure that I use better epoxy next time.
Yeah I don’t think the metal sticks are porous enough to grab onto the Apoxsee but yeah I do not know why they don’t make longer sticks, you can buy them that are inch and a quarter long But that isn’t really long enough either. We could get somebody to weld something together it probably wouldn’t look the greatest

I’m not a gamer so my fingers are not as refined as I wish they were and have pondered on the thought of longer sticks. May have to experiment on the wood lathe with a good hard wood. An extra 2 cm sounds like a good start.

I’m not a gamer so my fingers are not as refined as I wish they were and have pondered on the thought of longer sticks. May have to experiment on the wood lathe with a good hard wood. An extra 2 cm sounds like a good start.
Me neither, so doubling up the stick length is a good start, (4cm in total). I tried it this afternoon and it made a real noticeable difference.

Reactions: Ds67888
Made my extensions using split plastic tubing, red painted wood doweling and two tight fitting "O" rings on each.
Works well for me, has built in strain relief to save damaging the base with the extra leverage.
Certainly allows more precise, less jerky flight control. Good for those like me, having low sensitivity in fingers.DSCN2194.JPG

Reactions: Southwest-flyer
Or You can just 3D print those extensions. On Thingiverse there are several different models and sizes. Here is one of them.

And another one. Dji Mavic pro stick extension by tsyken

And a third.

I went with the PolarPro adjustable sticks
they discontinued those.
anyone try the shorter knock-offs from amazon?
polarpro ones gave up to 0.5" extension and went from 0.75" (stock size) to 1.25" whereas the knock-offs only extend by 0.177" to .927"

Made my extensions using split plastic tubing, red painted wood doweling and two tight fitting "O" rings on each.
Works well for me, has built in strain relief to save damaging the base with the extra leverage.
Certainly allows more precise, less jerky flight control. Good for those like me, having low sensitivity in fingers.View attachment 86447
Exactly... whatever works for you, I knew you'd be able to get more precise flying movements with longer sticks, good work!

Reactions: Flyingpug

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure