DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlled Airspace - UK

AlbinoSquidAssassin

Reactions
Hi all!

I’m due to take delivery of my first drone tomorrow, a Mavic Air. In anticipation, I’ve been looking at the surrounding area and the regulations. Where I live is about 10 miles from an international airport and listed as “controlled” airspace. From what I’ve read, as my drone is under 7kg I can fly here as long as I am responsible, keep line of sight and adhere to the standard drone regulations for the UK? Would that be right?

I live in Inverurie and the airport is Dyce - I’ve attached some images from AirMap.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

from DJI.com/flysafe map
Hi all!

I’m due to take delivery of my first drone tomorrow, a Mavic Air. In anticipation, I’ve been looking at the surrounding area and the regulations. Where I live is about 10 miles from an international airport and listed as “controlled” airspace. ]

from DJI.com/flysafe map, seems you are well outside any flight areas

invirue.jpg

Base from what I know flying a drone near the airport is prohibited but just check the no-fly zone in your location.

OK, a few things.

Firstly and importantly, stop using AirMap. Its primarily US focussed and is grossly inaccurate for UK flying. You should be using the CAA/NATS "Drone Assist" App. This is accurate. Airmap can easily get you into trouble.

You are correct in that the drone is under 7kg in weight so is allowed to fly in controlled airspace without permission or contact.

However, you are legally limited to 400ft altitude and more than 1km from an airport boundary. Again do NOT rely on the DJI "fly safe" map for this - its very inaccurate and uses a basic circle from the centre of an airfield which is way off at the ends of a runway.

Other than that follow the drone code:-
(i) 400ft above surface maximum
(ii) 1km from an airport boundary
(iii) Maintain visual line of sight (500m or so in the documents) at all times
(iv) 50m from uncontrolled persons or structures at all times (30m for takeoff and landing)
(v) 150m from congested area or crowds and do not overfly at all.
(vi) Stay out of restricted airspace (use Drone Assist App)

Drone code is here:-

Drone code - Dronesafe

Reactions: MartinKS and JoBri
OK, a few things.

Firstly and importantly, stop using AirMap. Its primarily US focussed and is grossly inaccurate for UK flying. You should be using the CAA/NATS "Drone Assist" App. This is accurate. Airmap can easily get you into trouble.

You are correct in that the drone is under 7kg in weight so is allowed to fly in controlled airspace without permission or contact.

However, you are legally limited to 400ft altitude and more than 1km from an airport boundary. Again do NOT rely on the DJI "fly safe" map for this - its very inaccurate and uses a basic circle from the centre of an airfield which is way off at the ends of a runway.

Other than that follow the drone code:-
(i) 400ft above surface maximum
(ii) 1km from an airport boundary
(iii) Maintain visual line of sight (500m or so in the documents) at all times
(iv) 50m from uncontrolled persons or structures at all times (30m for takeoff and landing)
(v) 150m from congested area or crowds and do not overfly at all.
(vi) Stay out of restricted airspace (use Drone Assist App)

Drone code is here:-

Drone code - Dronesafe

Nice information this will helpThumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones