DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller charging phone battery?

Jr. Stafford

Reactions
Had asked this question elsewhere and didn't seem to find an answer: Is there a setting somewhere to stop the Mavic controller from charging my phone the entire time I am using it?

It runs my battery down quicker because it's always charging my phone, I can't see any possible way to turn that off.

I use the lower USB port for FPV. This leaves micro charge port free. You can hook a battery bank to the micro usb port for charging or you can do what I do and use the mavic USB battery bank adaptor with a depleted battery (I fly down to 30%).

Reactions: jkjenn
I use the lower USB port for FPV. This leaves micro charge port free. You can hook a battery bank to the micro usb port for charging or you can do what I do and use the mavic USB battery bank adaptor with a depleted battery (I fly down to 30%).

Interesting. So I can use the larger bottom port to my phone when flying and hook a portable battery bank to the mini port on the controller, and it will charge? I thought I had read somewhere that if you were using one port the other was inactive?

If you so the USB to your device u can definitely charge your remote from another power source

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

I'll have to try it tomorrow, having a power bank in my pocket wouldn't be a big deal if the remote can still connect with the phone thru the bottom port at the same time. Almost makes me wonder if the power bank will be charging the remote, and the remote will still charge the phone too? That would rock.

My iPhone isn't charged by my controller and if I use the lower USB port my phone doesn't connect to the RC? Is something wrong?

My iPhone isn't charged by my controller and if I use the lower USB port my phone doesn't connect to the RC? Is something wrong?
Full disconnect the side cable.

Interesting. So I can use the larger bottom port to my phone when flying and hook a portable battery bank to the mini port on the controller, and it will charge? I thought I had read somewhere that if you were using one port the other was inactive?
Yup. Just make sure it does nothing but charge.

The data connection is delivered to only one port at a time, whichever one is plugged in. If using the bottom one the side port must be free of a cable for the data to be sent to the bottom port. But while using the bottom port the side port will pass power from a battery bank to charge the controllers battery, whether this power will be passed on to the phone connected to the bottom port will have to be answered by an Android user as I use an iPhone and it does not charge from the controller.

It's a pitty that iPhone can't charge. A lot of IPhones in cold weather (freezing weather) cannot hold a charge for long when used with an app like DJI GO. Especially if the battery isn't brand new. I've seen several people on YouTube saying the same. Guess I am stuck with my Phantom 3 Standard where I can charge the phone while flying. At least in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So after doing a quick test this is what I found. My remote was at 83% and my phone at 48%. I turned on the remote and plugged it in the micro usb side. I then went from the usb to my phone from under the remote. It charged my remote to 100% while only adding 1% to my phone. After the RC was charged it then started charging my phone quicker. I believe if you want to have a longer battery life you can always plug an external into the charger and can fly at the same time using your external display be it a phone or tablet.

This is also why I just bought a ipad mini 2 on ebay as my mavic only display and will use my phone as a hotspot for maps.

Reactions: bleeyw and geigy
So after doing a quick test this is what I found. My remote was at 83% and my phone at 48%. I turned on the remote and plugged it in the micro usb side. I then went from the usb to my phone from under the remote. It charged my remote to 100% while only adding 1% to my phone. After the RC was charged it then started charging my phone quicker. I believe if you want to have a longer battery life you can always plug an external into the charger and can fly at the same time using your external display be it a phone or tablet.

This is also why I just bought a ipad mini 2 on ebay as my mavic only display and will use my phone as a hotspot for maps.

Was it iPhone or android phone that started to charge?

How are you attaching the iPad mini to the remote? Isn't it too big?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you're on android and rooted, you can disable charging. There's another thread about that floating around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka