DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller does not charge my ipad mini 5

MavicMike55

Reactions
When I turn on the option for the controller to charge the attached device, it does not charge the ipad mini 5 that I use mostly. But when I use the Note 10 Plus it does charge the device. Anyone else not able to charge their ipad with the controller? (before you ask, YES I did enable the option in the app)

I believe it is due to the different operating systems and rules used by them to govern the connections between the two devices, some of these rules may be mandated by the specifications for USB.
Be thankful the Ipad does NOT drain the battery like an Android device. Many people HATE the Android drain and if you do a google I think you will find many complaints about it. I am awaiting the arrival of a 5S iphone bought to run the fly app but NOT suck the controller's battery dry, the Samsung S6 bought for use with the App does a grand job but drains the controller's battery
That said I have also read that some android devices can switch off the charging but I can not guarantee that that is correct etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is due to the different operating systems and rules used by them to govern the connections between the two devices, some of these rules may be mandated by the specifications for USB.
Be thankful the Ipad does NOT drain the battery like an Android device. Many people HATE the Android drain and if you do a google I think you will find many complaints about it. I am awaiting the arrival of a 5S iphone bought to run the fly app but NOT suck the controller's battery dry, the Samsung S6 bought for use with the App does a grand job but drains the controller's battery
That said I have also read that some android devices can switch off the charging but I can not guarantee that that is correct etc.
I understand what you're saying, but the RC has a pretty large battery for just that purpose I believe. Mostly, I don't want it to charge my device, but there may be times when I DO want to. And I like that the app for IOS has the option to enable or disable it.
But, it doesn't seem to work. When I enable charging, I can hear audible sound to confirm that I turned it on, but it does not show a charge going to the ipad.

Ok.
I should have said I have the mini which has a 2.6Ah battery in it's controller and am currently getting 2 full battery flights before I feel a desire to recharge, I'd guess I might get 3 but doubt I'd get 4.
It might explain my vehemance.

Check your cable. It charges my iPhone just fine, but I’m using the included cable. I’m assuming you’re using a 3rd party cable for the iPad.

Check your cable. It charges my iPhone just fine, but I’m using the included cable. I’m assuming you’re using a 3rd party cable for the iPad.
No, it's not the cable. I've tried the standard cable that comes with the drone, and a different one also. Both work great for controlling the drone, but neither will charge the iPad.

If you are curious you could perhaps use a micro-USB-m4le-to-USB-fem4le cable and a USB-m4le-to-lightning cable to allow you to put a USB ammeter in line and see what current if any the controller is supplying to the ipad.

If you are curious you could perhaps use a micro-USB-m4le-to-USB-fem4le cable and a USB-m4le-to-lightning cable to allow you to put a USB ammeter in line and see what current if any the controller is supplying to the ipad.
I just don't think this will tell me anything helpful. It charges my android just fine when it is connected, but it wont charge the iPad, even when I enable the option. Is there a setting within the iPad perhaps that needs to be adjusted or activated?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2019 iPad. Connects and runs fly with the aircraft fine but will not charge with the supplied cable or the longer Apple manufactured cable I purchased directly from Apple.com but my iPhone 7 charges fine from both cables. I suspect that the iPad is trying to draw more power than the controller wants to provide, similar to when I plug it in to the USB socket of a couple of my older vehicles that limit the power draw on the USB port and won't charge my tablet, or my son's S10 Galaxy phone.

I haven't tested charging with the Air 2 controller, but its pretty common for USB output to not be enough to charge an Ipad. Usually in these cases, the ipad will indicate not charging, but the Ipad actually is charging -- either very slowly (particularly if in standby or off) or not fast enough to keep up with app usage, so battery life will decrease, but much more slowly than if it wasn't in charging mode.

If you want to reduce ipad battery usage, I suggest still keeping it in charging mode, and realize all you are porbably doing is slowing down the drain while flying.

If you’re flying with an iPad, you’re probably not even going to have battery drain issues. I fly with my iPhone and rarely put it in charge mode and it’s battery pales in size comparatively to an iPad battery. I know you want it to charge, but seriously do you really need to charge your iPad with the drone’s controller? :rolleyes:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb