DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller lost connection with drone, 5m away.

Sounds just like the problems i was having..

flown my mavic pro for over 12 months with a S7 edge & not once had this "Remote Controller connection error" or any problems at all.

Then in December i decided to treat myself to the s9+ and every flight since then i have had the same issue "Remote Controller connection error" and lose all control of the drone, lucky each and every time its returned to home. ive tried everything possible even as some suggest to buy a short usb to c cable as that was suppose to stop this happening but it was still the same for me..

anyhow ive since swapped back over to my old s7 edge just to try that & in over 10 plus flights since its never disconnected yet,.

So i now just use the old phone for the drone only & use my s9+ as a hot spot internet connection to the s7 edge.. no problems as yet..

Interesting. I have 3 1/2 hours on my Mavic 2 Zoom, and i have also an Mavic Air with 1 1/2 hours and a Spark with 4 Hours, so far no problems, except one episode with my Spark loosing connection, but that was back in February.

I have been using my LG G7 for flying, and it got updated to Android 9 on June 11, that day i flew my Mavic Air without any issue, but since then i have not been using any of my drones, except last week when i flew my Mavic 2 Zoom, and this Remote Controller Connection Error came up, and Disconnected so the GO4 goes gray.

I found out early with my MP to turn off all app updates, the 'net connection, the bluetooth, & turn on airplane mode. We had gone out of town about 20 miles with no 'net available but my DJI Go 4 app insisted I download an update before I flew. Ruined that beautiful day! Now I shut everything, that connects to anything, OFF, before I leave the house! ?

Reactions: Paulman
No Mavic 2 flying yet, but tonight i fired up my Spark. Went through 3 batteries and no errors, everything went smooth. Sport mode is fun! :D This was with my LG G7. No Airplane mode.

Hopefully i can try my Mavic 2 this next week again.. And maybe my Mavic Air just to see how that one behave.

I agree... disconnect from the web so the m2z stays happy.
When I want to spend hours updating I will do it at home with the computer ... so I can get my pictures done on the day. Did a wedding last month and m2z behaved.....

but if you disconnect from the web on the screen how does google maps keep track of where you are flaying ? dont you need internet for this reason.? yes i know GPS will track it but without internet surly it wont show the map of where it is??

but if you disconnect from the web on the screen how does google maps keep track of where you are flaying ? dont you need internet for this reason.? yes i know GPS will track it but without internet surly it wont show the map of where it is??
You can download maps while online to use later OFFline. Then the controller will presumably match its known gps location with maps it has cached. Obviously, you have to plan ahead to grab maps where you will fly.

Have charged up my batteries, so gonna try my Mavic 2 again tomorrow. Have been flying my Mavic Air today, 4 batteries down to 40-50% and everything went smooth. So atleast both my Spark and Air seems fine. Hopefully I can get some nice jet ski videos with my Mavic 2 tomorrow, and hopefully it's not acting up over water.

Yesterday i tried my Mavic 2 again at home, and it did not give me any problems, but only one battery from 80 to 50%.

I noticed one thing though, the signalbar where it says HD, i had zero bars, even the drone was nearby. When i landet it and launched it again i had full bars, but it did not get any disconnect errors. So maybe a bug.

did some more Spark flying again today, and so far i have not got this error on either my Spark or Air.

At my cabin now. Not reflashed or done anything, wanted to try the drone a little more.

First flight went sort of OK, set home point, satellites around 17-19, made it hover for 15-20 seconds. Took it 80-110m up, and maybe 400m distance away, took some pics and RTH. First it was off by some meters at the home point, little strange because it has always been spot on, so i manually had to land it on my helipad due to alot of tall grass here at my cabin. Then when the drone was hovering right above the helipad i got disconnects again, but it connected again fairly quicky.

I took it for a second flight, it went fine, this time RTH was closer but still little off, but no disconnects this time.

Took it inside, had it turned on sitting on the table, both drone and controller ON and it went haywire. Disconnect - connect - disconnect - connect, then i got a new error: remote controller connection error, this went on and off for quite some time, i just sat there watching it connect and disconnect. I have always been using my LG G7, so i decided to try my Galaxy S10+, and the disconnecting error went away. I format my SD card, and decided to wipe all the DJI GO4 data off the LG G7. i connected my G7 again and it seems like the disconnect errors is gone.

Last time i used the G7 flying it was on Android 8, now it is on Android 9.

Could the culprint here actually be my phone? Could all of this remote disconnecting be caused by my phone?

Gonna try flying more tomorrow again, but starting to get worried now with all of this happening.

Yes. If your phone wasn't giving the GO4 app enough priority to handle the data stream from the aircraft then the Go 4 app will complain. I switched to CrystalSky to remove this source of errors.

a small update;

Have not been flying since July, but i flew today. The drone, controller and the batteries have been updated with the latest 510 update, other than that, same phone and same location as the first time i lost connection.

Flew through 3 batteries from 100% down to 50%, and one battery from 75% to 50%, and not a single hickup or connection issue at all.

Longest distance was 2.8km, so all fine today :)

Had some flying with my M2 Zoom today. Burned through one battery first down to 55% without any issues. Flew away maybe 500m and back, and some close-by flying with video.

Then on my second battery, i flew away 1km, and back, no problems until the drone was back home. The drone was hovering maybe 4-5m in the air when it stopped responding to my stick input, and i saw "controller connection lost" or something, and the videofeed on my phone was black.

The drone then started to slowly descending, and it was just inches away from the side of the house, i decided to just grab the drone before it did something out of my control, resulting in some cuts from the propellers.

The difference between now and last time i flew is a new FW (.400) NLD FCC with Boost mode.

What could be the cause? I have also lost connection with my Spark when it was right next to me with similar behaviour, but not yet with my Air.
At my cabin now. Not reflashed or done anything, wanted to try the drone a little more.

First flight went sort of OK, set home point, satellites around 17-19, made it hover for 15-20 seconds. Took it 80-110m up, and maybe 400m distance away, took some pics and RTH. First it was off by some meters at the home point, little strange because it has always been spot on, so i manually had to land it on my helipad due to alot of tall grass here at my cabin. Then when the drone was hovering right above the helipad i got disconnects again, but it connected again fairly quicky.

I took it for a second flight, it went fine, this time RTH was closer but still little off, but no disconnects this time.

Took it inside, had it turned on sitting on the table, both drone and controller ON and it went haywire. Disconnect - connect - disconnect - connect, then i got a new error: remote controller connection error, this went on and off for quite some time, i just sat there watching it connect and disconnect. I have always been using my LG G7, so i decided to try my Galaxy S10+, and the disconnecting error went away. I format my SD card, and decided to wipe all the DJI GO4 data off the LG G7. i connected my G7 again and it seems like the disconnect errors is gone.

Last time i used the G7 flying it was on Android 8, now it is on Android 9.

Could the culprint here actually be my phone? Could all of this remote disconnecting be caused by my phone?

Gonna try flying more tomorrow again, but starting to get worried now with all of this happening.
same thing happed to me changed my android s9 back to my s6 problem solved

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000