DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller - Mini2 connection problem

Reactions
Longshot, maybe?
I'm a photographer and want to add a new tool to my toolbox. Recently bought a "DJI Authorized" Refurbished Mini 2 to learn to fly. Here's my problem:

Every place I attempt to fly (home, open fields, athletic fields, open park) I get the same problem:
Poor connection with controller, disconnected from drone and a wave from that looks like it's about to flatline. No instructions, trees, power lines, electrical obstructions.

Any help? 🙏

Welcome to the forum!
These forums are !!
Your in the right spot!!
I can't your really answer your question with guessing

I would recommend @msinger site

Check that out until some jumps in. Thumbswayup 👌

Rod

Longshot, maybe?
I'm a photographer and want to add a new tool to my toolbox. Recently bought a "DJI Authorized" Refurbished Mini 2 to learn to fly. Here's my problem:

Every place I attempt to fly (home, open fields, athletic fields, open park) I get the same problem:
Poor connection with controller, disconnected from drone and a wave from that looks like it's about to flatline. No instructions, trees, power lines, electrical obstructions.

Any help? 🙏
There needn't be any obvious physical clue as to potential sources of interference wherever you fly. WiFi noise is endemic on the 2.4ghz band, 5.8ghz is quieter (for the time being). You'll get it from routers in houses, flats, public buildings, cell phones, tablets, CCTV cameras, RING doorbells, ear buds, etc.etc.etc. wherever you get people: you'll get some degree of signal noise.
If the transmission signal graph is showing an almost flat green line: this is good, it is only when it looks like a relief map of the Andes with red peaks that there is a lot of interference.
First thing I'd try is manually swapping the frequency from DUAL (which means 2.4ghz by default) to 5.8ghz. (top right corner of the same screen) to see if that made a difference.
Then I'd make sure that the controller antenna block was not obstructed by anything and was pointing straight at the drone.
If I was still getting signal dropout, I'd then send it back to DJI or the retailer you bought it from.

Last edited:
Reactions: georgebainesphotos
There needn't be any obvious physical clue as to potential sources of interference wherever you fly. WiFi noise is endemic on the 2.4ghz band, 5.8ghz is quieter (for the time being). You'll get it from routers in houses, flats, public buildings, cell phones, tablets, CCTV cameras, RING doorbells, ear buds, etc.etc.etc. wherever you get people: you'll get some degree of signal noise.
If the transmission signal graph is showing an almost flat green line: this is good, it is only when it looks like a relief map of the Andes with red peaks that there is a lot of interference.
First thing I'd try is manually swapping the frequency from DUAL (which means 2.4ghz by default) to 5.8ghz. (top right corner of the same screen) to see if that made a difference.
Then I'd make sure that the controller antenna block was not obstructed by anything and was pointing straight at the drone.
If I was still getting signal dropout, I'd then send it back to DJI or the retailer you bought it from.
Very helpful, thank!

First things first............ are you using the right "DJI FLY" app?
When the app is booted up, did you look for "UPDATES" and download them if any?
Just suggesting is all.
Did you receive the owners manual with your Mini 2?
Hope it helps.

I had posted a thread last month when I bot my new mini3 pro.

never did get the drone activated and sent it back.

I thot it was funky controller, so I bot the same drone again.

after several hrs on the phone with tech support, and MANY emails.

I am still unable to use my drone.

1 last shot today and if still no go

I will be sending this 1 back and not bother again

I am very disappointed that tech support was not able to help.

PS. I got lotsa input from the folks here, when I posted the problem,

but was still unable to overcome.

success.

friend took the drone to his place and it signed in immediately

apparently, it was not able to connect with my provider

today will be my first flight after all this mess.

Nope. Ended up returning it. At this moment we're in the middle of a big snow storm in Maine. I'll be spending my day looking for something new to fly.
Don't forget - DJI isn't the only horse in the stable.... Take a look at the Autel offerings, the EVO 2 and EVO Lite+. **** good cameras and the Lite+ is more or less the size and weight of an Air 2S, which means it holds position well in less clement wind conditions. I use 3 different drones for different photo requirements, a Mavic 2 pro (20mp 1" sensor) the Zoom variant (only 24-48mm... But a proper optical telephoto nonetheless) and the mini 3 pro for up-close-and-personal architectural detail shoots when conditions are perfect.

Don't forget - DJI isn't the only horse in the stable.... Take a look at the Autel offerings, the EVO 2 and EVO Lite+. **** good cameras and the Lite+ is more or less the size and weight of an Air 2S, which means it holds position well in less clement wind conditions. I use 3 different drones for different photo requirements, a Mavic 2 pro (20mp 1" sensor) the Zoom variant (only 24-48mm... But a proper optical telephoto nonetheless) and the mini 3 pro for up-close-and-personal architectural detail shoots when conditions are perfect.
You knew what I'm doing at this very moment! I was thinking Mini3pro or 4Pro. The 360 avoidance system would be nice. I thought about the Hassleblad but I don't need that; some of my best sellers were taken with my Pixel. Thanks!

Reactions: Mrktn
I appreciate all the feedback! I'm sending the Mini2 back and I have a Mini3pro+ on order for next week, sometime. That vertical shooting will look nice, up in a wall. It gets points for being quiet. That's good for sunrises.
The profile orientation is what sold me on the mini 3 pro, another 'plus' I discovered after I'd bought it was the 3/4" sensor and it's '48mp' mode, even though it's quad-Bayer interpolation: the results are outstanding. Be warned - the f/1.7 aperture can catch you out unless you're used to wide open primes, but it is a capable and versatile flyspeck camera... excellent for low ambient light/blue hour/twilight shooting.
The Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 'Hasselblad' cameras are Hasselblad in name only, but misleading advertising aside: they are still really good medium range Bridge/DSLR equivalents.
Don't put your trust in the much vaunted 'omnidirectional obstacle avoidance', it's okay, but it's not foolproof by any stretch of the imagination. If you want safety, add a belt to the braces and buy a set of PGYTECH prop guards they've saved both my mavics AND my mini 3 Pro from taking killer tumbles when the wind decided it had a different idea of 'close-up' to me.
I hope you end up as consistently astonished by your new aerial tripod as I was... and still am.

Reactions: georgebainesphotos
Greeting: Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART

The profile orientation is what sold me on the mini 3 pro, another 'plus' I discovered after I'd bought it was the 3/4" sensor and it's '48mp' mode, even though it's quad-Bayer interpolation: the results are outstanding. Be warned - the f/1.7 aperture can catch you out unless you're used to wide open primes, but it is a capable and versatile flyspeck camera... excellent for low ambient light/blue hour/twilight shooting.
The Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 'Hasselblad' cameras are Hasselblad in name only, but misleading advertising aside: they are still really good medium range Bridge/DSLR equivalents.
Don't put your trust in the much vaunted 'omnidirectional obstacle avoidance', it's okay, but it's not foolproof by any stretch of the imagination. If you want safety, add a belt to the braces and buy a set of PGYTECH prop guards they've saved both my mavics AND my mini 3 Pro from taking killer tumbles when the wind decided it had a different idea of 'close-up' to me.
I hope you end up as consistently astonished by your new aerial tripod as I was... and still am.
I actually ended up going with the Mini4Pro+ and I've also ordered a good set of ND filters.

Reactions: Mrktn
Thanks! 👍👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688