DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller port caution

Former Member

Reactions
When you buy a new Mavic, it comes with cables to connect to your device and also a separate micro usb cable to charge the controller. Many owners use the micro USB port on the controller for both data and charging, and based on my experience repairing controllers, it's best to use the USB port on the bottom of the controller for data while flying. I recommend reserving the micro USB for port on the side of the controller for charging only. If you break this port, you wont be able to charge your controller, you cant charge from the bottom port.

The problem with the micro USB port on the controller is that it is more fragile than the bottom port. I have repaired so many of them, I have determined it to be a weak spot on the controller. If you do break the port, you will need to replace the entire 5 way switch board, there is no other shortcut. The board itself is not overly expensive, but to replace will take you or a technician an hour to do. Labor + part can easily be $60 - $100.

What I do is use my USB C to USB cable and plug it into my bottom port. I use an extender anyway, because the jaws of the controller wont fit my S8+ with the case on, so I cant really use the supplied short data cables that DJI supplies. The bottom USB port is very sturdy, and I have never seen one go bad.

Below is a picture of what can happen to the micro USB port after a few dozens charges. The tongue inside the port simply snaps off, then it's too late. Cant charge the controller and need to repair it.

One last thing. I mark my micro usb cable with a "t" on the plug to tell me that its the top of the plug and the t needs to be facing me before i plug it in.

That's my 2 cents worth of advice for this morning. Have a great day!

Controller Micro USB 2.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with the micro USB port on the controller is that it is more fragile than the bottom port.
While this is true, I think the bigger problem, which you kind of mentioned, is that the micro usb is only supposed to be inserted one way. The tongue is offset to one side. If you try to force it in the wrong way, that's what causes the tongue to end up snapping off. I've used my micro slot a ton and always make sure it's inserted correctly. It still looks great.

Reactions: Former Member
Great information! I quickly began using the bottom full size USB port after signing up on this forum. It just seemed sturdier and I got the orientation on the Micro USB side port wrong a few times and it became frustrating.

Plus the Micro USB port on the side of the remote controller does not have a properly formed metal slot that one plugs thier Micro USB cable into. The standard receptacle is formed to mate and match to the Micro USB Male cable end. Not so on the Mavic Pro's Remote controller. So one is unable to easily discern which way the plug should be inserted. This causes people to "think" they have the proper orientation and then force it into the receptacle 180 degree's opposed there by snapping off the inner tab.
Good idea DJI! Create more parts sales and billable repairs.

The bulk quantity of Micro USB Female ports DJI purchased for the Mavic Pro's remote controllers must have been heavily discounted so they could save some $.

That's why all the new technology is going to USB-C : it can go in either direction.

About time someone figured that out.

Good Advice TD

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22