DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Screen Glare Shading

Captain Spock

Reactions
Even with my iPhone set to max brightness under my mini2 controller shade, the screen is very difficult to see.
I've had to wear a shawl like an old fashioned camera hood in the photo to see the screen comfortably.
I've ordered a anti-glare screen for my iPhone.
Anyone else have to do this? Anything else I can do?
CS
etone-dark-cloth-focusing-hood-1.jpg

I did on a iPad. Wasted my money.

Anything else I can do?

When I use to fly my Spark with the iPad mini 4, I would use a four sided hood similar to the link(s) provided below.

The four sided hood works the best at keeping the sunlight off of the screen, allowing you to see the screen and your drone when needed verses hiding underneath a canopy and not maintaining VLOS.

🖖

Even with my iPhone set to max brightness under my mini2 controller shade, the screen is very difficult to see.
I've had to wear a shawl like an old fashioned camera hood in the photo to see the screen comfortably.
I've ordered a anti-glare screen for my iPhone.
Anyone else have to do this? Anything else I can do?
CS
View attachment 155789
I use a blackout curtain
Works great! ;)

I seem to recall this coming up a bit ago, and one fellow offered the advice of using an "umbrella hat"!
They come in varying diameters, I chose the 3' model. It has a silicone headband and there are supports that
keep the umbrella portion a few inches above your head. I found that my problem was the sky was reflecting off my tablet, and with the hat on, it blocks all of the sky reflection! Be forewarned, however! You really look like a geeky nerd to the max, but at my age, I don't care about what others think anymore!!

Here's a link..... Amazon.com : Umbrella Hat, Headwear Umbrella with Double Layer, Portable and Lightweight Folding Cap Hands Free Umbrella with Adjustable Headband for Beach Fishing Camping Hiking in Outdoor Rainy Season : Sports & Outdoors

I seem to recall this coming up a bit ago, and one fellow offered the advice of using an "umbrella hat"!
They come in varying diameters, I chose the 3' model. It has a silicone headband and there are supports that
keep the umbrella portion a few inches above your head. I found that my problem was the sky was reflecting off my tablet, and with the hat on, it blocks all of the sky reflection! Be forewarned, however! You really look like a geeky nerd to the max, but at my age, I don't care about what others think anymore!!

Here's a link..... Amazon.com : Umbrella Hat, Headwear Umbrella with Double Layer, Portable and Lightweight Folding Cap Hands Free Umbrella with Adjustable Headband for Beach Fishing Camping Hiking in Outdoor Rainy Season : Sports & Outdoors

DSRT: Thanks! I just ordered one. BTW, your set up looks just like mind (absent the umbrella hat). I have the same landing pad and the terrain looks similar to ours in NM. :)
CS

Reactions: MA2 317
Shading the iPhone is key.
I know that sounds obvious, but it's two-fold:

Reflections off the screen can be reduced. Well duh.

If you're in bright sun it's going to heat things up. When the phone heats up it automatically dims its screen for internal safety. This auto-dimming just makes the drone view worse.
In my car I have my phone mounted near the pillar at the bottom of the windscreen (e.g. for navigation) but on sunny days I need to run the air system on de-fog. That way it pumps air up the windscreen, and cools the back of the phone (which admittedly is in a black case).

Wookie: I did not know about the heat-dim iPhone feature. Your cool down approach was interesting. Adding that to me bag of tricks
CS

Reactions: Elthree
DSRT: Thanks! I just ordered one. BTW, your set up looks just like mind (absent the umbrella hat). I have the same landing pad and the terrain looks similar to ours in NM. :)
CS
Umm... it's not a hat. The umbrella is clamped to a chair. You can get one on the same aisle they sell camp chairs.

Attachments

• shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J