DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Conundrum

Neebles

Reactions
Alright, so my MPP arrived today! Yay! It’s beautiful out mid 60s, calm. I would like to get out a fly a little bit. I have ordered a new phone to use as a dedicated display, however, it won’t be here until Wednesday evening. I have an iPhone 6+ that I could use today, but the phone that is coming is android based.
The other issue is, tonight the bottom is falling out on the temps, and it’s going to be in the 20s for the rest of the week.

Is it a problem to run the MP with an iOS device, and then switch it to an Android device? It would be nice to take advantage of the weather, but I don’t want to push anything/risk messing anything up.

Alright, so my MPP arrived today! Yay! It’s beautiful out mid 60s, calm. I would like to get out a fly a little bit. I have ordered a new phone to use as a dedicated display, however, it won’t be here until Wednesday evening. I have an iPhone 6+ that I could use today, but the phone that is coming is android based.
The other issue is, tonight the bottom is falling out on the temps, and it’s going to be in the 20s for the rest of the week.

Is it a problem to run the MP with an iOS device, and then switch it to an Android device? It would be nice to take advantage of the weather, but I don’t want to push anything/risk messing anything up.
Nope, you can run it from a apple phone today and a android tablet (or phone) tomorrow no problem, just make sure to record your registration information (email and password) so you can log in when you get your new phone.

Reactions: Neebles
Is it a problem to run the MP with an iOS device, and then switch it to an Android device?
No. I often switch between Android and Apple devices.

You can even fly it without a display. Not as much fun and no extra features but doable. Learning to fly without a display is important to prepare you for the day your app crashes or display dies. Go to a wide-open field and keep it close.

Oh, and have fun!

Thank you guys! Battery and remote is charging...I have some more manual to read. Hopefully I will feel confident enough to take her up later this afternoon.

You can even fly it without a display. Not as much fun and no extra features but doable. Learning to fly without a display is important to prepare you for the day your app crashes or display dies. Go to a wide-open field and keep it close.

Oh, and have fun!

Great idea, we have a large park with soccer and baseball fields on it that no one ever uses.... That is where I plan to start out. I am excited yet nervous at the same time.

I recommend this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is informative without a lot of extra chatter.

Reactions: Doug D and Neebles
I recommend this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is informative without a lot of extra chatter.

Great video. I just watched it. Thank you!!

Reactions: Doug D
No. I often switch between Android and Apple devices.

I've seen the list of devices, but I am interested in knowing which Android phone and tablet you have personally been satisfied with please (for use with Mavic)?

Keep a good eye on the direction it is flying. Most crashes seem to come from pilots who become dis-oriented with the flight directions and get to close to something and panic- I was one,too but have fun and enjoy it

Reactions: WAXMAN and Neebles
Keep a good eye on the direction it is flying. Most crashes seem to come from pilots who become dis-oriented with the flight directions and get to close to something and panic- I was one,too but have fun and enjoy it

Ugh, I’m so ready to enjoy it. Yesterday I wasn’t able to fly as the MPP arrived too late, and I had to charge everything up. Today there was a wind advisory all day. Steady 25+ mph winds and strong gusts. Now tomorrow is supposed to be less windy, but in the 20s.

You can even fly it without a display. Not as much fun and no extra features but doable. Learning to fly without a display is important to prepare you for the day your app crashes or display dies. Go to a wide-open field and keep it close...
After doing some actual thinking about this, I believe it would not be a good idea to fly without a display right out of the box. There are a number of setup items that are part of the Go 4 app that should be carried out before flying the first time (compass & IMU calibration, RTH altitude setting, etc). It would probably fly OK but you won't know until you launch it and see what happens. Once things are set up correctly and you have stable/reliable flight, I do encourage flying with the RC only. You need to be ready for the day your app crashes or display battery dies or becomes otherwise useless.

After doing some actual thinking about this, I believe it would not be a good idea to fly without a display right out of the box. There are a number of setup items that are part of the Go 4 app that should be carried out before flying the first time (compass & IMU calibration, RTH altitude setting, etc). It would probably fly OK but you won't know until you launch it and see what happens. Once things are set up correctly and you have stable/reliable flight, I do encourage flying with the RC only. You need to be ready for the day your app crashes or display battery dies or becomes otherwise useless.

Yeah I’m picking uo my display tomorrow anyway...Luckily I have experience flying FPV quads, so flying with the remote only shouldn’t be a problem.

You could fly for a Minute or fly for a life time......

My advice because although I have had my mavic pro for over 7 month I still believe Im a newbe.!
That being said .

When first starting up mavic you Must down load app/software for you "tablet" and your controller/ drone
and that can take up to over an hour.

The issue I had when I switch display devices was the App upgrade was diffrent from the original app install and it was a few hours between App install in the two devices
(note4) and (Galaxy7 tablet).
When I went back to the note4 because the app version was diffrent then the software version on
controller/ mavic
Mid flight Lost control and had a Fly away.?
yes from diffrent app version on my display's unit.!
Iwould wait till you have your complete setup and Update/install App/Software and then Fly for life...

You could fly for a Minute or fly for a life time......

My advice because although I have had my mavic pro for over 7 month I still believe Im a newbe.!
That being said .

When first starting up mavic you Must down load app/software for you "tablet" and your controller/ drone
and that can take up to over an hour.

The issue I had when I switch display devices was the App upgrade was diffrent from the original app install and it was a few hours between App install in the two devices
(note4) and (Galaxy7 tablet).
When I went back to the note4 because the app version was diffrent then the software version on
controller/ mavic
Mid flight Lost control and had a Fly away.?
yes from diffrent app version on my display's unit.!
Iwould wait till you have your complete setup and Update/install App/Software and then Fly for life...

Good advice, thank you. Even though I am growing inpatient, and want to get this bird into the sky, the weather is forcing me to stay grounded. That’s ok, as I pick up my display for the MPP today, and will be able to get everything downloaded and set up, and not have to worry about doing it on two platforms. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I get some air time this week. I have a trip to Florida coming up for New Years and I want to make sure I have a few flights under my belt before then. I don’t want that trip to be my first attempt at flying this thing.

Reactions: charliesRig
As you get set up Dont use those
Com (USB) cables that came with your Mavic .
Invest in better cables and use the port at the bottom of the controller
To your Display Device
Never fly with less then 30% Battery life

As you get set up Dont use those
Com (USB) cables that came with your Mavic .
Invest in better cables and use the port at the bottom of the controller
To your Display Device
Never fly with less then 30% Battery life

Noted. Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the stock cables?

a lot of mavic pilots have had issues with loss of signal with there devices,DJI cables
I too have had this issue.
Those cables (little white one) and should not be trusted.

When you got loss of signal Don't Panic ... as long as you still have signal with Mavics controller your ok
because your still in control.

In you SETTINGS Menu if it is not Default set....
You need to change the setting for Loss Of control RTH (Return to Home)
and you should check this by

Launching mavic straight up about 30ft Your controller will verbally say
"Home base astablished"

Go ahead Fly a little bit Then bring it back around Home base and turn off your controller at this point what ever you have your RTH height set mavic will go to that height and then Start to decent to Your home base.

When I first tried this it was nerve wracking Mavic zipped up to around 90ft were I had my RTH height set and did decent (very Painfully slow) but did return
.................. and why My hard rule of "Never fly with less then 30% battery"

Will ad.....
If you Panic NEVER EVER pull down on Both joy sticks
this is called ( CSC) manuver and will turn off Mavic rotor were ever mavic is

a lot of mavic pilots have had issues with loss of signal with there devices,DJI cables
I too have had this issue.
Those cables (little white one) and should not be trusted.

When you got loss of signal Don't Panic ... as long as you still have signal with Mavics controller your ok
because your still in control.

In you SETTINGS Menu if it is not Default set....
You need to change the setting for Loss Of control RTH (Return to Home)
and you should check this by

Launching mavic straight up about 30ft Your controller will verbally say
"Home base astablished"

Go ahead Fly a little bit Then bring it back around Home base and turn off your controller at this point what ever you have your RTH height set mavic will go to that height and then Start to decent to Your home base.

When I first tried this it was nerve wracking Mavic zipped up to around 90ft were I had my RTH height set and did decent (very Painfully slow) but did return
.................. and why My hard rule of "Never fly with less then 30% battery"

Awesome, great advice again!
I had heard that battery “rule” before. Makes sense, why push it if I don’t need to. I would rather land and pop in a fresh one. Plus I feel like 30% gives a nice cushion to finish up what you need to do and get home safely.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burghmuir