DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Converting photo EXIF GPS coordinates as waypoints?

AMann

Reactions
Does DroneDeploy, Litchi or any other control program have a convenient way of transferring EXIF GPS data from an aerial photo into a waypoint? I’d like to be able to revisit specific targets identified in photos taken during a flyover, and if there are a lot to look at, automating it instead of manually doing it would be nice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Does DroneDeploy, Litchi or any other control program have a convenient way of transferring EXIF GPS data from an aerial photo into a waypoint? I’d like to be able to revisit specific targets identified in photos taken during a flyover, and if there are a lot to look at, automating it instead of manually doing it would be nice. Thanks!

I've not heard of any existing program that does that, but it would not be difficult to create a simple script to batch extract lat/long from a set of image files and then write them to a csv file that Litchi (and probably others) could import.

Reactions: AMann
I've used free software called "Photoplace". It takes the GPS data from each photo in a directory and creates a KMZ file that shows each photo location as well as the photos when you click on an icon (photos can be reduced size if you wish), viewable in Google Earth. It might be useful to you even though I'm not sure it's exactly what you were looking for. You can download it HERE.

Reactions: sar104
I've not heard of any existing program that does that, but it would not be difficult to create a simple script to batch extract lat/long from a set of image files and then write them to a csv file that Litchi (and probably others) could import.

I've used free software called "Photoplace". It takes the GPS data from each photo in a directory and creates a KMZ file that shows each photo location as well as the photos when you click on an icon (photos can be reduced size if you wish), viewable in Google Earth. It might be useful to you even though I'm not sure it's exactly what you were looking for. You can download it HERE.

That will work- I can take the KMZ and convert it to CSV for Litchi - rhe hard part I was looking at was getting from the EXIF file. THANKS TO BOTH!

NEW EDIT: of course, I could have just Googled “EXIF Metadata to CSV” there are a bunch of free conversion programs for it alreay (palmface). Will paste a link to the one I like best here. Thanks again, guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Here's another alternative: Drone Air Utilities. This app will georeference your photos based on the EXIF or XMP GPS data and has an option to create Litchi waypoint scripts just by clicking on the map where the photos are displayed.

For Litchi photo missions, I need Lat & Long, but also compass heading and camera pitch. I guess with the newer MP2Zoom, I'd also need focal length. I've previously just used an Excel speadsheet to manually extract the EXIF data from exiftool up until now.

I think I've read that Litchi now has a feature that let's you fly the planned mission, take the photos, and it extracts the WP data for you. Haven't tried to find more info on that yet, but it seems like it should be doable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife