DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Correct settings for dusk?

WildDoktor

Reactions
I've got a mavic pro 1 and it's the time of year to start getting some sunset shots and dusk shots, because we finally have some clouds. :)

I went out a few weeks ago and gave it a whirl, but...I got it wrong. At first I just took some photos. I tried my normal daytime settings of Manual: ISO 100, +1, -1, 0, D-Cinelike, and tried to get the EV to zero; but at zero the screen was almost black. So I backed off the shutter speed until I could see again, and took some AEBx3 and HDR photos. Here's an un-retouched hdr. Pretty blurry, but otherwise not completely horrible. I have been able to color grade it and make it look a little better (my color grading is very novice right now...but I'm learning!):
DJI_0210 - hdr.JPG

...and the settings for the above photo:
210-hdr-settings.jpg

Then I decided to do an orbit. It was getting darker, and so was the image, so all I could think to do was to crank the ISO up until I could see the screen. But the video is super grainy; unusable (so unusable that this clip is "unlisted" on my site; not proud of it!) :

Here are the settings during this part of the flight:
video-settings.jpg

So: first attempt, fail. :) Then I got sick for a couple weeks and couldn't try again while we were having some *really* cool sunsets. I got well again, and now it's been raining. :)

My actual question here is: could some of you give me some suggestions on what settings I should try (and why) in order to get good photos and videos at sunset and dusk of scenes like this?

Thanks!!

Oh; youtube is still processing the HD version of that video. I mean, it's a whole 12 seconds...so that processing should take, what...15 hours?? :rolleyes:

Cranking up the ISO will always introduce grain.

McG

Reactions: tlswift58
I've got a mavic pro 1 and it's the time of year to start getting some sunset shots and dusk shots, because we finally have some clouds. :)

I went out a few weeks ago and gave it a whirl, but...I got it wrong. At first I just took some photos. I tried my normal daytime settings of Manual: ISO 100, +1, -1, 0, D-Cinelike, and tried to get the EV to zero; but at zero the screen was almost black. So I backed off the shutter speed until I could see again, and took some AEBx3 and HDR photos. Here's an un-retouched hdr. Pretty blurry, but otherwise not completely horrible. I have been able to color grade it and make it look a little better (my color grading is very novice right now...but I'm learning!):
View attachment 136997

...and the settings for the above photo:
View attachment 136998

Then I decided to do an orbit. It was getting darker, and so was the image, so all I could think to do was to crank the ISO up until I could see the screen. But the video is super grainy; unusable (so unusable that this clip is "unlisted" on my site; not proud of it!) :

Here are the settings during this part of the flight:
View attachment 136999

So: first attempt, fail. :) Then I got sick for a couple weeks and couldn't try again while we were having some *really* cool sunsets. I got well again, and now it's been raining. :)

My actual question here is: could some of you give me some suggestions on what settings I should try (and why) in order to get good photos and videos at sunset and dusk of scenes like this?

Thanks!!
Going from 100 to 1600 ISO is pretty extreme and will add grain. 400 or 800 should be a good starting point in lower light like sunset / dusk. Pretty much a test and see.

Easy way is to take a pic at every ISO setting of exact same object at exact same spot and deciding which one looks best to you. F/stop and such are factors as well beyond ISO; so you have to test those in conjunction with different ISO's.

Each drone has a sweet spot, so finding yours will require testing to find it.

Thanks; I guess I really do just need to take the time to go thru a few batteries while testing settings, especially if each camera has a sweet spot.

I did find this post, in this forum; while I'm experimenting I might as well try those settings as well.

Reactions: tlswift58
Thanks; I guess I really do just need to take the time to go thru a few batteries while testing settings, especially if each camera has a sweet spot.

I did find this post, in this forum; while I'm experimenting I might as well try those settings as well.
Many people like "dark" photos or vids for some reason. I personally don't like that effect much of the time, as it's not "natural" looking. That is my goal / aim in shooting and even in post processing. Now, some do look good darker, so there is that.

Everyone has their own ideas and may be a good starting point - but again - you have to play with your settings to achieve YOUR GOAL. Nobody else can do that for you.

I used to do laser engraving and the forums I was on - had so many people asking for settings. Well, their machines were not like mine (brand), did not have same wattage laser (even if they did - degradation of the laser cartridge changed required settings), and so on - so my settings would mean nothing in their world. Yet, it was one of the most asked questions - esp by newbies. What was kind of crazy was that many product manufacturers posted settings based on their tests with different wattages - not the laser brand / etc. Again, a great starting point, but required testing to find your spot.

Reactions: WildDoktor
On the Original Mavic Pro shooting in low light at dusk is very difficult especially as it gets darker. Basically it's going to be either grainy or soft if you go above ISO 100 or MAYBE 200. Sunset is better but you can still get some grain. Probably the best way to deal with it (without switching drones) is to denoise in post. What software are you using?

On the Original Mavic Pro shooting in low light at dusk is very difficult especially as it gets darker. Basically it's going to be either grainy or soft if you go above ISO 100 or MAYBE 200. Sunset is better but you can still get some grain. Probably the best way to deal with it (without switching drones) is to denoise in post. What software are you using?
For video, I'm using Davinci Resolve 17.4. For photos, the only payware I have is Cyberlink Photodirector 8. I'm demo'ing ACDSee Gemstone, and I've also tried just using the Windows 10 photo viewer. :)

For video, I'm using Davinci Resolve 17.4. For photos, the only payware I have is Cyberlink Photodirector 8. I'm demo'ing ACDSee Gemstone, and I've also tried just using the Windows 10 photo viewer. :)
OK. In the paid studio version of Resolve there's a great noise reduction freedom. Not really familiar with any of those photo editors though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7