DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corrupt MP4 files help requested

Montec

Reactions
New user here so bear with me if this problem has been discussed before. I could not find any information.

On two occasions now I have had video files that were apparently corrupt and my video editors could not open them.
I am using Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve. There is an Quicktime icon on the MP4 file but QT also will not open it.

All the other files on the card were fine. The cards are Sandisk Ultra 64GB and a Sandisk Extreme 128GB. Both were formatted before recording.

Anyone else have this issue, can the files be saved? The one file has an Eagle flying by checking out the mini in perfect golden hour light then dropping down into the water to catch a fish... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monte

Hmm...this is strange.

I'm having duplicate files that were in one place but repeated later on.

I download the files directly off of the sdcard onto a hard drive. They are moved off of the sdcard onto the hard drive.

But newer files become replaced with older files.

(DJI_0010) becomes the same file as (DJI_0001).

Typically, these files might be days apart.

Strange???

Never mind...looking at the flight record...I didn't have any files missing...I must've had a card that wasn't emptied and recopied them all over again.

Last edited:
New user here so bear with me if this problem has been discussed before. I could not find any information.

On two occasions now I have had video files that were apparently corrupt and my video editors could not open them.
I am using Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve. There is an Quicktime icon on the MP4 file but QT also will not open it.

All the other files on the card were fine. The cards are Sandisk Ultra 64GB and a Sandisk Extreme 128GB. Both were formatted before recording.

Anyone else have this issue, can the files be saved? The one file has an Eagle flying by checking out the mini in perfect golden hour light then dropping down into the water to catch a fish... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monte
Did you actually END the video recording. If not, sometimes the files are not formally closed by the operating system and some video players will not open or play them. Sometimes put the card back in the drone or just turn it on and start and then stop a video. Then check the files again.

Reactions: Montec
I saw one suggestion to put it back in the drone and try to export from the drone.

Thanks for the info. Any idea how this would be done?
I have plugged the Mini into the computer via the USB cable and powered it up. It does not show up on anywhere. Usually whatever is plugged in displays on the desktop.

I will search for an answer as well.

Thanks,
Monte

Did you actually END the video recording. If not, sometimes the files are not formally closed by the operating system and some video players will not open or play them. Sometimes put the card back in the drone or just turn it on and start and then stop a video. Then check the files again.

You are correct as I have been troubleshooting this figured out I indeed did not stop the recording. I will try you method and hopefully all will be well.

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help,

Monte

Reactions: ff22
Thank you @ff22 for the suggestion. Worked perfectly!
Unfortunately my expectation of the Eagle video was not up to what I expected and the flyby was not even in my FOV! Coming from a DSLR taking wildbird images this is a whole new world. I did get an unexpected shot of possibly the same eagle flying out of a tree as I cruised by. Still a lot to learn flying this thing :), I turned the wrong way trying to follow it's flight in the frame :( ....not follow the bird, that would be unethical.

Reactions: ff22
Thank you @ff22 for the suggestion. Worked perfectly!
Unfortunately my expectation of the Eagle video was not up to what I expected and the flyby was not even in my FOV! Coming from a DSLR taking wildbird images this is a whole new world. I did get an unexpected shot of possibly the same eagle flying out of a tree as I cruised by. Still a lot to learn flying this thing :), I turned the wrong way trying to follow it's flight in the frame :( ....not follow the bird, that would be unethical.
Glad you recovered the video even if it was not what you wanted.

I know that I sometimes am shooting video and land the drone and forget to stop the recording and just power off the drone. Takes some habit breaking to do it correctly. It is particularly easy to power off the Mavic 2 models since the power button is on the battery and it right there on the top, once it lands.

Enjoy the filming.

Hi @Montec, I had a similar problem the other day where I had powered down the drone without ending the video.

The unfinalised video files can be repaired using a application called recover_mp4 recover_mp4 1.92 Free / 3.0 Premium Service Free Download - VideoHelp

I won't explain how it works because it's a little involved!

The tool is a bit of a pain to run if you're not used to command line applications. Happy to run it through for you, if you can share the files with me

I have been making a habit of instead of doing one video of the entire flight i stop recording probably do a few pictures and re start recording

Reactions: jamesdc
Hi @Montec, I had a similar problem the other day where I had powered down the drone without ending the video.

The unfinalised video files can be repaired using a application called recover_mp4 recover_mp4 1.92 Free / 3.0 Premium Service Free Download - VideoHelp

I won't explain how it works because it's a little involved!

The tool is a bit of a pain to run if you're not used to command line applications. Happy to run it through for you, if you can share the files with me

Thanks for the offer but the other solution worked for me.

Reactions: jamesdc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair