DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could anyone recommend a drone to learn to fly while i wait for my mavic?

puravidastyles

Reactions
Hi all...so like most of you i am still waiting for my mavic... and i am just wondering if there is a cheap drone to get my skill levels up before the bad boy arrives..

thanks all and dear god... get me my mavic already dji!

You can find a list of quadcopters here that will help you understand how a quadcopter flies, how it's controlled, etc. None of these cheaper drones will be as easy to fly as a Mavic though.

Reactions: puravidastyles
An interior toy that will let you play with rotor dynamics indoors is the Hubsan X4 with PVP. Tiny batteries, short flights, but a lot of fun to bonk around a bit.

Here's an exercise for learning. Ignore the PVP screen for this. Learn how to maneuver the aircraft with tail toward you, then with side toward you, then with nose toward you, then start doing laps and circuits and higher flight.

To msinger's point about ease of flying, if you can fly something without all the stabilization, you will be ahead of the game when you step up to a smarter aircraft. That's essentially what "sport mode" is: it turns off some of the automatic control so you're in control.

Reactions: puravidastyles
I went with the Syma X5C-1. Camera is crap, but it's teaching me to fly with a super light-weight quad. It's a challenge in any wind at all, but now that I have the basics down I am challenging myself by taking it up with a breeze. Hint: fly in a (large) field! I have already lost it a few times because of the wind & battery shut-down. It's fun too, especially when I find it.

I also have the Syma X5C-1, love this thing, I learned how to fly it, and only had it to fly and play with for 2 years, now I have the Mavic. But I still fly the Syma just for fast fun careless flights, it can take a beating

Reactions: PilotMan7700
This bebop is a fantastic drone that has a 14 megapixel camera and shoot 1080P video. I am selling this one it's only been flown a handful of times with four batteries and three chargers plus lots of extras only $200. I believe it's actually a little bit smaller than the Mavic and very easy to travel with.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    678.2 KB · Views: 37
I also have the Hubsan X4. It's great inside and you can pick up enough extra batteries that you can log a lot of practice time in each evening.

Sent from my VS990 using MavicPilots mobile app

I also have the Hubsan X4. It's great inside and you can pick up enough extra batteries that you can log a lot of practice time in each evening.

Sent from my VS990 using MavicPilots mobile app

Bumping this up. Bought a pair of them and they came in last night. Went through 5 or 6 batteries last night. Things are a blast to fly.

Makes flying the Mavic a walk in the park. ha

Also on sale for $30 on Newegg right now. Hubsan X4 H107L 4 Channel 2.4GHz RC Quadcopter with LED Lights-Newegg.com

Reactions: timthib
i used Hubsan x4 501s and 502s

Oh boy they scared the **** out of me more than any Mavic flight, unless i was in a field 3 miles long in case it was a bit windy.

Taking off in my back garden became non existent after i managed to lose the 501s after it went nuts (it would, as it was fire works night, 3rd flight, straight up and down, it never came down).

i did send a very apologetic note to all the neighbors as i managed to match the lat and long from controller to where i thought the drone landed. I explained politely i was an *** and the drone had misbehaved and decided to go for a truly unmanned flight.

I then bought the 502s. Gutted as three days later one of the neighbours brought the 501s back.

now that hit the deck hard, as i saw it whizz off at light speed (ok close to) then nose dive across the neighbourhood into the yonder.

When i gt it back battery was hanging out and three props broke. Neighbour apologised to me for taking 3 days to find it lol, he said it had nosedived into a place not so easy to see.

The video carried on or 10 minutes on SD card but too dark to see much.

my own thoughts is a very loud bomb type firework went off although not close but i am sure that it went nuts after that.

it taught me a very very good lesson. Dont be an *** even in your back garden.

Don't think a cheap drone cant go high, The 501s in a remote place got 230m high with everything stock.

Do think a cheap drone is a cheap drone and in wind it wont come back.

Oh the 501s flew fine after and never had a problem with it again, then again i don't fly it in my garden anymore either.

Luckily my neighbors are far more nuts than me and found it highly amusing. I am not sure they would have had that drone gone through a window.

Yep they are fun no denying, i still love that little bloody drone.

Reactions: tunston21
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+