DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Course Lock

I'll have to test this cause I am getting a little confused. In course lock, is the speed set by the pilot? so I couldn't just set course lock and put the controller down like in waypoint mode?
No, you will have one stick that move X/Y horizontal direction and the camera you control on the other stick.
Thought just read manual, but nothing. DJI support video, nothing :confused:
There is this video to show what can be done after you manage it:
and this to shows how to do it with the stick (first part):
In fact you need to pilot it with direct view on the Mavic (means really close range), not from screen and track your video subject using the Go4 app screen.
The trick is to separate both functions (pilot and film maker) in your brain, one stick for pilot and one stick for film maker.

All these filming can be done also without course lock but it is just much more harder.

I'll have to test this cause I am getting a little confused. In course lock, is the speed set by the pilot? so I couldn't just set course lock and put the controller down like in waypoint mode?
By the way, you are right, nothing better than trying it your self, in a good area with nobody to disturb you. It is really a nice feature and powerful feature but it needs some "brain training" as you need to do 2 thinks at same time.

no need to be an *******! The whole reason why people don't ask for help is because everyone jumps on their *** if they ask something that has been covered somewhere on the internet. I am sorry for not scouring you tube for videos on how to do something. From now on, Ill just keep my ******* mouth shut, and figure everything out from youtube videos, as everyone seems to suggest.

no need to be an *******! The whole reason why people don't ask for help is because everyone jumps on their *** if they ask something that has been covered somewhere on the internet. I am sorry for not scouring you tube for videos on how to do something. From now on, Ill just keep my ******* mouth shut, and figure everything out from youtube videos, as everyone seems to suggest.
To whom are you talking ? What trigger you this reaction. Not to me I hope.
I am just starting Mavic with some good other drones experience and the intend is to share experience as others on all the *pilots forums to others.
Just I don't get it,sorry.

The pilot controls the speed that the drone flys when in Course Lock mode. Course lock just "locks" the flight path that is set as being away from you or back towards you in a straight line. That way one can just press the right stick forward and the drone will fly at the current altitude in a straight line and then use the other stick to rotate the camera towards what you intend to film.

Here is an example:
I shot this right outside of Vegas at a place called Seven Magic Mountains.

No color correction or other enhancements . Just a quick clip

Last edited:
The pilot controls the speed that the drone flys when in Course Lock mode. Course lock just "locks" the flight path that is set as being away from you or back towards you in a straight line. That way one can just press the right stick forward and the drone will fly at the current altitude in a straight line and then use the other stick to rotate the camera towards what you intend to film.
All true but worth pointing out that it is not locked in that straight line back and forth. If the right stick is pushed left/right the quad will still go that way. I only clarified that since I have seen people assume course lock locks in one straight line. Main thing is that rudder doesn't control direction of flight.

Mike

Reactions: AClineman and BD0G
I'm lost as to what you are complaining about. Nothing I see in this thread warranted this kind of response. It is either a misunderstanding or posts have been deleted.

Mike

All true but worth pointing out that it is not locked in that straight line back and forth. If the right stick is pushed left/right the quad will still go that way. I only clarified that since I have seen people assume course lock locks in one straight line. Main thing is that rudder doesn't control direction of flight.

Mike

Thanks for the clarification. This is true! You summed it up with "rudder does not control direction of flight"

Speed is controlled by you. Push right stick forward to move away from you, back to move toward you. Use left stick to pan (rotate) camera.
Marty

I haven't found a speed lock yet. I'd love it if there was one. I am usually flying offline and often have to do course/plan calculations manually on the site - depending on what we find when we get there. Flying manually trying to maintain a specific speed is nearly impossible from my experience.
I think Odum's response above is probably correct.
Happy playing!

In waypoint mode, you set your speed, so that is why I asked. I use waypoint mode OFTEN! I use it for distance tests, capturing footage of structures, doing a subdivision aerial, etc.

The best part is I can do a path around a structure, setting waypoints at the corners, and the camera will auto pan incredibly smooth between points. I have yet to even come close to that manually.

If you run into the "go home" battery level
It is important to have read the User Manual, make notes and questions. Re-read the manual, a lot of questions may have been answered. Use the search on mavicpilots.com to find answers. You will pick up a lot of knowledge on subjects you had not expected. Google is also your friend to find answers or locations to get answers. YouTube has a LOT of great videos and tutorials

being a smaller drone, can the wind be much of a problem
Absolutely, there are a number of apps that will give you wind data at your location and at various flight elevations. UAV Forecast is one it also gives you the KP index. You can have acceptable wind speed / gusts at ground level and at 200' you can't make headway, God forbid you have flown out with a tail wind and decide to wait until the RTH, good probability you will not make it back.

UAV - ground - No Fly 1     .png UAV - profile - no fly 2     .png UAV - profile - mixed     .png UAV - profile - good     .png

Last edited:
So....some questions we can get the answer here, but others we have to figure out ourself?

Why even have a forum if I'm told to just Google the answer?

Why answer the other question in your post when it has clearly been answered before?

thanks all, very helpful - reading numerous reviews before I decide, I notice some refer to the Mavic Pro as not for beginners whilst others say that if I want I want to progress my flying skills to say racing drones (not for me) then the Mavic is not the quadcopter to start with as it's so easy to fly

I have never flown an RC plane or drone and bought the MP. Its been fantastic, I love the toy. I had some issues with firmware updates (due to slow wifi connections where I live) and I had a crash but it was my fault flying intoxicated at night. If I can do it, you can do it.

So....some questions we can get the answer here, but others we have to figure out ourself?

Why even have a forum if I'm told to just Google the answer?

Why answer the other question in your post when it has clearly been answered before?

I am not certain why the negative response (link) to user @Dronason for suggesting various sources of information. I would think that sources of additional information would be appreciated. Neither of us was suggesting you or anyone just use google to resolve a question.

no need to get riled up but frankly most questions can be found in the manual,like was done to me.most dont mind helping you run with the Mavic but you should be willing to walk by yourself

Hello Guys, my name is Uwe, just a fresh owner of a Mavic 2pro and sc. I am working and living in China.
May it´s possible that the Mavic 2 don´t have this second side in flight modes??
Because as I´ve made my first flights I was able to swipe with my finger on the sreen to the second side of flight modes, but now it doesn´t works anymore.
Some others told me that the Mavic 2 don´t have those modes.
Only I cannot understand why it was working first and now not. May anyone can help???
thanks in advance and hope to see you soon
Uwe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots