DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cows Along the Coast with Marvelous Views

benvegel

Reactions
Hey just wanted to share another edit! Footage was filmed along the northern California coast at an interesting and remote setting. I noticed the pond and thought scenery might look interesting from above. Once my drone took off, the setting was beautiful with ocean views around the secluded coastal scenery. Enjoy and let me know your feedback!

Reactions: Hawkwind
Nice Video!

Reactions: benvegel
Smooth, stable shots with good exposure.
However; I agree with the 3 or 4 min but maybe even cut it to the length of one play of the music end-to-end - just over 2 min.
I also agree with the 'computer-game' effect. Maybe something you applied in post?
To get the viewer to watch the whole video, keep it fresh and changing every few seconds.

Here would have been my shot list:
400' alt approach from the north - a broad overview descending toward the cows (to establish and draw the viewer in to the location)
Just above the waves flying toward the bluffs - climb to above the rim to reveal the cows in a slow tilt down
A near eye-level with the cows - as close as you can get without spooking them
One of the mid-height orbit shots that you have many many MANY of
Back to a different angle close-up of the cows - keep it interesting; some shots with camera level and others straight down or nearly straight down
Slow flight up the canyon with a climb and tilt to reveal the pond
A different flight exploring the beach and bluffs
another one of your orbits - exploring, exploring
Another low & slow of of an interesting area not yet explored; maybe a path or road - maybe including the highway (to kind of say 'travel time')
A slow climb backward to the south with a slow tilt up (to take the viewer back out of the location)

All of this within your 2:06 min piece of music would make the 10 clips an average of 12 seconds long each - which I believe on average is too long so maybe trim the music a bit or intermix a few more clips.

Opening: Fade an intro with a graphic / text of the location.
Close: Fade text of your name and maybe credit to the music provider.

The broad approaching view at the beginning and reverse on the close is known as Bookends - an obvious beginning and ending.

Too much?
Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing. Especially interesting for those of us who don't live near the west coast with high beach cliffs.

Smooth, stable shots with good exposure.
However; I agree with the 3 or 4 min but maybe even cut it to the length of one play of the music end-to-end - just over 2 min.
I also agree with the 'computer-game' effect. Maybe something you applied in post?
To get the viewer to watch the whole video, keep it fresh and changing every few seconds.

Here would have been my shot list:
400' alt approach from the north - a broad overview descending toward the cows (to establish and draw the viewer in to the location)
Just above the waves flying toward the bluffs - climb to above the rim to reveal the cows in a slow tilt down
A near eye-level with the cows - as close as you can get without spooking them
One of the mid-height orbit shots that you have many many MANY of
Back to a different angle close-up of the cows - keep it interesting; some shots with camera level and others straight down or nearly straight down
Slow flight up the canyon with a climb and tilt to reveal the pond
A different flight exploring the beach and bluffs
another one of your orbits - exploring, exploring
Another low & slow of of an interesting area not yet explored; maybe a path or road - maybe including the highway (to kind of say 'travel time')
A slow climb backward to the south with a slow tilt up (to take the viewer back out of the location)

All of this within your 2:06 min piece of music would make the 10 clips an average of 12 seconds long each - which I believe on average is too long so maybe trim the music a bit or intermix a few more clips.

Opening: Fade an intro with a graphic / text of the location.
Close: Fade text of your name and maybe credit to the music provider.

The broad approaching view at the beginning and reverse on the close is known as Bookends - an obvious beginning and ending.

Too much?
Thoughts?

Thanks for watching and the reply! I agree with your feedback which aligns more with my normal editing style for drone landscapes.

I stumbled upon the setting and think it was some of the most random scenery I've ever filmed. So I attempted different and unique editing styles to reflect weirdness of the experience. I didn't realize how entirely beautiful the setting was until my drone took flight. Bluffs, beaches, and the ocean below weren't visible from the highway. I applied very subtle brush filters to the footage with Photoshop for a somewhat surreal look. The setting was more beautiful from an airborne perspective than through my own eyes.

Drone landscape edits sometimes resemble a "highlight reel" basically providing viewers with an overview around an event or location. I hope real time extended scenes might provide viewers with an experience as if they were piloting. Somewhat opposite of the "highlight reel" approach, and definitely exaggerated with my style in the edit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada