DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracked blade.

AG-Cranes

Reactions
I had my first crash (into a tree) today, trying out sports mode.
I didn’t realise how much the stopping distance is when going full speed!

The blade is a little bit cracked. I didn’t realise until it got home and carried on flying for another 15 minutes afterwards.

Should I throw the cracked blade away or keep using it until is gives up the ghost? 51B9E011-A8AC-4AA4-8D34-D8AFD3B3854D.jpeg

For the sake of the price of a new prop, I'd replace it. There's clearly damage to almost the middle of the prop and, if it were to go, chances are it would take most of the leading edge of the prop with it judging by the direction of the damage. Quite how much instability that would cause in flight if it were to sheer off I wouldn't like to guess, it may even by possible to land safely, but why take the risk of a complete loss?

Use that prop once more and you'll be able to claim TWO crashes, the second may not go so well as the first. Props are the single most critical item aboard a flying craft. I'm actually almost surprised at the question, but a couple years on this forum and almost nothing surprises anymore.

Should I throw the cracked blade away or keep using it until is gives up the ghost?
Replace it. It's going to be far cheaper than would could potentially happen if your drone crashes.

For the sake of the price of a new prop, I'd replace it. There's clearly damage to almost the middle of the prop and, if it were to go, chances are it would take most of the leading edge of the prop with it judging by the direction of the damage. Quite how much instability that would cause in flight if it were to sheer off I wouldn't like to guess, it may even by possible to land safely, but why take the risk of a complete loss?
Thanks, that’s good advise. Cheers.

Use that prop once more and you'll be able to claim TWO crashes, the second may not go so well as the first. Props are the single most critical item aboard a flying craft. I'm actually almost surprised at the question, but a couple years on this forum and almost nothing surprises anymore.
My thoughts exactly! To the OP consider studying for 107 certification and you will learn so much more about being a responsible drone owner and the privilege of flying a drone. It is not a right to fly a drone. Every inch of air space in the United States of America is under FAA authority. It’s controlled or uncontrolled. You can and will be held accountable for the actions of your drone. That is the most important lesson I have learned while studying for 107 test. Review week for me if all goes well will be scheduling for test next week.

Throw the prop away and really get a magnifying glass and check other three. Since you have asked this question on a public forum I would replace all the props and document doing so. If your drone does damage to someone or something and a good investigator can tie it back to prop failure you will be writing check to attorney or worse grieving and apologizing to someone if their love one is hurt or disable due to your negligence as a drone owner.

Voice of experience I came within 10 feet of hitting a very good friend when drone took a nose dive. I don’t know if it was DJI fault or my lack of understanding as a drone pilot. These drones are powerful think about the damage one could do to someone if hit in the head at full throttle.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Look up the you tube videos Where they try to destroy a Mavic 2 . After many crashes, they use scissors and cut entire sections off the blades and it still flies

Reactions: DanMc

The blade is a little bit cracked. I didn’t realise until it got home and carried on flying for another 15 minutes afterwards.

Should I throw the cracked blade away or keep using it until is gives up the ghost? View attachment 68661
Me, I would keep using it... "knowledge" it's the only way the discover the truth. It's out there......

Definitely trash it. At the very least it's no longer balanced and could cause unwanted violations. It's not great for the motor either.
I meant to say vibrations. I either fat fingered it or auto correct got me again.

Look up the you tube videos Where they try to destroy a Mavic 2 . After many crashes, they use scissors and cut entire sections off the blades and it still flies

Thanks for sharing info. Here's a link. I figured that the vibration from a severely imbalanced prop would cause catastrophic instability. NOT SO! Amazing.

Reactions: Rich55
Thanks for sharing info. Here's a link. I figured that the vibration from a severely imbalanced prop would cause catastrophic instability. NOT SO! Amazing.
That's a pretty incredible and impressive video.

I am impressed and thank you for sharing just how durable this drone is built. It does not change my opinion as to how I handle my drone mtce or how I would advise someone on best practices for drone. All it takes is one catastrophic event to put yourself in defensive legal posture. Trust me that is not the side of the law you want to be on. Much better to be safe than sorry. Just the mature adult in me talking. I will shut up and get back on my safe rocking chair and leave it to whoever to do whatever their conscious desires. Due the crime be ready to pay the price.

Crazy video. Kept the gimbal bubble on when they were chopping the prop. Had a minor run in to a tree at night in January, cracked 3 of 4 props. Replaced all immediately. Also cracked one hand catching that didn’t stay on. I would rather pay the minimal charge for a pair of props than a replacement bird. Just my thoughts however.

Reactions: Rich55
In the long run it will cause excessive stress on the motor bearings, and the time of failure is going to be a surprise, possibly with catastrophic results, especially if in the middle of certain rapid maneuvers.Recommend not risking your $1500 drone because of a $10 - $15 dollar part.

Should I throw the cracked blade away or keep using it until is gives up the ghost? View attachment 68661
Don't think twice about it, just toss it and replace it. It's not worth crashing your quad. Very lucky you got it back in one piece. Don't try your luck again with it, props are cheap as compared to your bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569