DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracked navigation light housing. Is she airworthy?

Mort7

Reactions
Just a minor crack. I've deemed her airworthy and been flying with no effects on performance. I just want to see if you think that this was a mistake. It's just a minor crack to the navigation light housing (I've seen inside the indicator light housing, and I'm certain the crack cannot spread or cause the light to fall out)

Seems like an easy enough replacement, so does anyone know about the legalities of repairing your own drone in Canada? I already know about the maintenance log requirements, it just doesn't really go over what maintenance is in the CARs, unless I just missed that section.

I've seen what constitutes elementary work, you can find that link (to standard 625 appendix A) here

A link to the definition of "maintenance actions" with respect to RPAS's would be greatly appreciated!

Mort

Attachments

• Indicator light housing crack.jpg
    Indicator light housing crack.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
It will fly fine that way, unless there was more damage when the light got cracked. I don't see one available as a spare part, but you might google now and then.

I dont know about the legality of things but to me it looks like if you just swiped some silicone adhesive across/ in to the crack you would be fine. Dumb question but are you allowed to put skins on the drone in Canada? That might be a way around any maintenance laws. It would cover the crack limiting debris intrusion and help minimize any further spread of the crack.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Just a minor crack. I've deemed her airworthy and been flying with no effects on performance. I just want to see if you think that this was a mistake. It's just a minor crack to the navigation light housing (I've seen inside the indicator light housing, and I'm certain the crack cannot spread or cause the light to fall out)

Seems like an easy enough replacement, so does anyone know about the legalities of repairing your own drone in Canada? I already know about the maintenance log requirements, it just doesn't really go over what maintenance is in the CARs, unless I just missed that section.

I've seen what constitutes elementary work, you can find that link (to standard 625 appendix A) here

A link to the definition of "maintenance actions" with respect to RPAS's would be greatly appreciated!

Mort
You have referenced a very old version of AIM. Don Joyce at DonDronesOn (Youtube) has produced a video on this very topic last week.

You have referenced a very old version of AIM. Don Joyce at DonDronesOn (Youtube) has produced a video on this very topic last week
That's.... That's the CARs that I sent a link to, and Don hasn't uploaded any videos in the last month about maintenance.

I don't generally play around with the AIM, because it says "The information in this publication is to be considered solely as a guide and should not be quoted as or considered to be a legal authority. It may become obsolete in whole or in part at any time without notice." while it's nice to have a guide, it's not so nice to rely on such a publication.

You don't have to be an A&P mechanic to repair your drone. Some skill is needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu