DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crappy Grainy image at sunset and dawn

Lakes Stu

Reactions
So I've had the mavic a while now and I've had some amazing footage so far in full daylight, however the last few days I've been shooting some sunset and sunrise type footage and the images are really really grainy, I'm using an ND4 polarising filter iso 100 I've tried settings at -1 -1 0 and 0 0 0, both were rubbish both times a i was shooting in 4k at 24fps, am i making a simple mistake here?

Last edited:
Well whatever problem you have with the footage is user error.

An ND filter is doing more harm than good in this light situation.

Honestly, I think the footage still looks great.

Reactions: FantasticMrF
What ISO are you shooting at? In darker conditions it is better to keep ISO low and if needed drop the ND filter. The ND filter might have pushed your ISO higher into the noise area!

I'm not seeing anything, other than the slight loss of detail due to youtube re-compression your sample looks great.

Thanks for the input guys, it was shot at ISO 100 if you look at some of the other videos I've shot you can see a huge difference in wondering if it's struggling with the light and so shutter speed to low to catch detail? I might have to try it without the filter or even increase ISO slightly?

Honestly, I can't see your problem with the footage. Can you make 100% crops of areas that bug you?

Sharpness. -1 will kill shadow detail. Set to 1.

Reactions: austindave
So I've had the mavic a while now and I've had some amazing footage so far in full daylight, however the last few days I've been shooting some sunset and sunrise type footage and the images are really really grainy, I'm using an ND4 polarising filter iso 100 I've tried settings at -1 -1 0 and 0 0 0, both were rubbish both times a i was shooting in 4k at 24fps, am i making a simple mistake here?

are you sure its filming at iso100 ?

if its sunrise/sunset and you're using an nd4, i highly doubt its at iso100, its probably automatically bumping the iso up to like 1600, alternately it may be filming at a shutter speed like 1/5s or something.

the nd filter in and of itself isnt what makes the image grainy. its the exposure value thats important.

Hopefully its just because i forgot to take of the filter, the iso was definitely set at 100 and i don't think it over rides that in M mode? I use the histogram to get the correct exposure so I'm guessing the extreme shutter speed has probably caused it. Is there some way to review the settings from the video footage? like you can in photoshop from an image?
Cheers

I would take the ND4 off, looks like there is a lot of low lying cloud around could be messing the focus up as well.
I use EV +1
Still looks good though, does it look like this on your monitor as YouTube could be changing it.

yeah it looks even worse on my monitor I'm using 5k iMac you can see every pixel wiggling around like ants :)

Hopefully its just because i forgot to take of the filter, the iso was definitely set at 100 and i don't think it over rides that in M mode? I use the histogram to get the correct exposure so I'm guessing the extreme shutter speed has probably caused it. Is there some way to review the settings from the video footage? like you can in photoshop from an image?
Cheers

As far as I know, if the lights low it will drop shutter speed to 1/30 and then has to push up ISO to maintain exposure, even if it was set at 100 initially. Can't shoot video at less than 1/30 shutter.

What profile are you using? Looks like you're using one that lifts the shadows quite a bit, so that's perfectly normal. You should be careful to use dynamic range correctly i.e. probably overexpose a bit in this case.

Ive been out tonight and got a couple more shots with the Mavic, I've found D-LOG and settings +1 +1 +0 seem to work best with the filter on, also I've read somewhere that the memory card can make a difference? I'm using a 64gb sandisk ultra which is U1, I've seen other threads that say only U3 cards should be used? any thoughts?

Stu

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark