DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash damage - no video and gimbal unresponsive to direct commands but does calibrate on start - no errors for either

seachaz

Reactions
Short - after crash inspection/minor repairs - no video signal, no ability to calibrate gimbal, no gimbal response to control wheel, no warnings for either. On start up gimbal moves through its usual calibration movements, gimbal responds to drone body movements - only warning is for firmware which I'm two versions old on.

Long: Crash appears to be due to using a battery that was not fully charged and too cold - logs just stop at 150 in the air with voltage at ~8.7 volts, appears to have just powered off and fell out of the sky - Drone is out of warranty/refresh, not afraid to open it up and work on it (a bit adverse to soldering)

Drone impacted right side up with the left front corner taking intial impact based on following:
Left front leg (kind of bent over)
Heatsink/bottom plate dented/cracked on front/left corner (front right when on backside).
Midshell cracked at bottom of fan intake and - metal fan screen slight deformed
Camera body has small gouge on the outer housing - lens not damaged, no other visual damage/bends
Had leg extensions on and all popped of during crash likely preventing more damage
All rotors broken/damaged

After crash inspection revealed error code a0000c vision system error, a0000c right vision system error, a0000c left vision system error.

Attempting to calibrate vision system initially failed - forward cameras had no signal. So popped off top and bottom covers and found 2 of the three ribbon cable (ones on left and right) that attach to the lower main board had come off. I didn't see any other cable damage or lose connections beyond that. Restarting now I don't get any errors, vision system calibrates fine in DJI Assistant 2. On start up gimble moves through its normal calibration but manual calibration through the remote does nothing - just dumps me out to previous screen without error, gimbal does not respond to control wheel, gimbal DOES respond to drone body movements - just no video feed, controls, errors.

So my theories are as follows:
1. Antenna in left leg/arm is damaged and is not transmitting/receiving
2. Unseen damage to gimbal/camera ribbon cable
3. Unseen damage to internal ribbon cables between forward board over gimbal mount to lower mainboard.
4. Unseen damage to lower main board.
5. Unseen internal camera/gimbal damage

I would think if there was internal damage I'd be seeing errors which makes me wonder if it is antenna damage. Is there a good schematic that shows which antennas/ribbon cables are responsible for what so I can try and isolate further? Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot or other things to consider? Have not attempted to fly it at this point.

Thanks,
Chaz

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky