DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash report, replaced parts, still no joy.

Reactions
Problem? Gimbal will not calibrate, 5% error, and camera stays pointing slightly to the left after startup never centers, gimbal adjust on app up/down inoperative, wheel adjust up/down inoperative

Was unit in a crash? Yes, unfortunately, hit the ONLY pole for a few acres! Got a warning while on follow mode then proceeded to crash into it anyway.

What have you tried so far? Upper case, one landing leg, and ribbon cable

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung Galaxy J2

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? V01.04.0500, both aircraft and remote

What Go app version are you using? 4.3.25

Any modification? (if so what) not to my knowledge

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) I've already changed the ribbon cable

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

Bought used so no warranty. After crash, no picture due to broken ribbon cable. Did not observe if gimbal was working properly then as it was not something I thought of. I've replaced the parts listed, but the gimbal still continues to not calibrate or operate properly. This was my only crash and had zero errors before this crash. After replacement of parts can't get the gimbal to work right. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic so I felt reasonably confident I could repair with replacement parts. So now what do I try? Another ribbon cable? Gimbal control cables? I've read numerous threads here and on other forums. All things seem to point to the ribbon cable. Maybe I got a bad one? How does one tell? I don't have any sophisticated equipment to tell if it is good or bad.

To clairify, I replaced the ribbon cable because it was broken from the crash. I now get a crystal clear picture (as before) but zero gimbal control and it seems to try and reset about every 60-90 seconds or so.

Last edited:
It's possible you may have broken the gimbal motors themselves? At this point a camera + gimbal + cable assembly may not sound too expensive considering you only just purchased the flex separately which was the cheapest part. Another item to consider is the broken gimbal control board but I think that is less likely.

I wonder if the motors are broken because on startup the camera flips all around like it used to, but does not go back to the proper forward facing position. By the review of the rear facing camera I had on my bike, and the damage to the aircraft, it would seem it was upside down and hit the tail and battery most. It looks like it hit the wires before it actually hoit the pole, but it was all very fast and that camera is only 720p.

OK, so if I order and change out a gimbal, are there firmware or software issues that I might run into?
I had a crash and ended up replacing my Mavic Pro1 gimbal. I purchased a gimbal on e-Bay for $58, installed my camera on it and replaced damaged gimbal. I had not replaced a gimbal before this and watched YouTube videos to figure it out. Following replacement, I calibrated gimbal, IMU and compass and Mavic is back in the air.

So, to answer your question, I didn't have to change any firmware or software to get my Mavic back in the air.

Reactions: GregE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada