DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash

borislip

Reactions
I've just had a crash today, coming in too fast and hitting a pole with the front prop. The bird kept flying after the hit, landing under full control. I've removed and inspected the front props, only finding a totally minor, barely visible mark at the very end of the prop, a totally negligible one. Did a test take off, the bird seems to fly just fine, camera feed is fine as well, nice and stable.

Are there any additional areas i should inspect, or should i just consider myself really luck and be more careful in the future?

Crash footage here:

Dropbox - Crash.mp4

Lucky you did hit that pole or you would have taken someone's freaking eye out.

Reactions: borislip
Not really, i was pulling back, merely missing a few cm to fully stop and go backward, maybe thats why the hit had such a minor results.

But i do agree i have to be more careful, especially around people.

Yeah other than what's already been said here, I think you are indeed lucky.

Didn't look to be a major impact. If everything is indicating normal on startup, looks like you dodged a bullet this time.

No, wasn't a major impact at all, probably looks worse on the video than it actually is. Totally agree about having to be more careful around people, especially under less than ideal weather conditions (sudden gusts of wind in unexpected directions). Being rock stable while hovering in the wind kinda makes me forget how easy it is for a wind to change the stopping distance, or a sudden gust to shift the bird in it's direction.

Check the locking lugs on the prop assy. also!

I've seen maybe 2 posts about the lugs being stressed after an impact of some sort, and later, the prop flies off.

Now maybe it was an install/mounting error, but the lugs do take a shot when the spinning props "come to an abrupt halt"...

So....check 'em...

Check the locking lugs on the prop assy. also!

I've seen maybe 2 posts about the lugs being stressed after an impact of some sort, and later, the prop flies off.

Now maybe it was an install/mounting error, but the lugs do take a shot when the spinning props "come to an abrupt halt"...

So....check 'em...
I did, i've inspected the props along with the mounting points, both on the prop and the motor side. Note that the props didn't come to a halt in my case, in fact, in the last part of the video you can see the bird landing, not falling (although, i did bring it down rather quickly).

If you really, really want to put your mind at ease, you can pull flight data from a test flight after the crash and take a look if the motor is stressed but for such a minor crash, you might be good. Props should be fine unless you find something disconcerting. They can take the abuse and even fly with more than half clipped off.

If you really, really want to put your mind at ease, you can pull flight data from a test flight after the crash and take a look if the motor is stressed but for such a minor crash, you might be good. Props should be fine unless you find something disconcerting. They can take the abuse and even fly with more than half clipped off.
Actually, this sounds like a good idea. Taking off in a living room, hovering for a minute, without the gusty wind, and looking at that log instead, should be even better. Finding one of the logs of hovering in the living room to discharge the battery to use as a reference, so i could compare the 2, would be even better, but i seriously doubt i actually got one (had to wipe/reinstall the app, so no chance there).

Reactions: Tonka
Sounds like a plan. Just be care full flying inside. If it switches back and forth from ATTI to GPS controlling the unit can get hairy. A 2 car garage with some padding on the floor would be more ideal as there is not much above your head other than wood beams and the roof.

I've just had a crash today, coming in too fast and hitting a pole with the front prop. The bird kept flying after the hit, landing under full control. I've removed and inspected the front props, only finding a totally minor, barely visible mark at the very end of the prop, a totally negligible one. Did a test take off, the bird seems to fly just fine, camera feed is fine as well, nice and stable.

Are there any additional areas i should inspect, or should i just consider myself really luck and be more careful in the future?

Crash footage here:

Dropbox - Crash.mp4
Check the locking clips on the prop, they usually break first and you dont want them to break in flight :)

If you had flown a drone that close to me I would have stamped on it. You are very lucky that post was there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jabarton44