DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CRASH :(

Sigh

Reactions
Well, it happened. After several hundred thousand feet flown and several hours of flight time, my Mavic Pro crashed down into a field. I am still in mourning.

So what happened you're wondering.

Well, I was just messing around, flying around the open skies killing the afternoon. After about 20,000 feet into a flight, I was on my way back to the landing zone, thinking I was home free, flying about 390' up... All the sudden a warning popped up saying "Warning: Motor Idling (Propeller Loose or Missing)" then all I see on my screen is tumbling... After about an hour looking around the open field, I finally found it, 3 out of 4 arms are broken and the camera gimbal frame tabs appear to have broken off...

So, I bring it home, take a few photos and then decide to see if it will even power on. Much to my surprise everything powers on fine, not a single warning indicating a problem with the unit...

Unfortunately, I do not have DJI refresh (I didn't even know it existed).

2 Questions,

1) Is this a common issue?
2) How SOL do you think I am?
  • If I am SOL I'll have plenty of batteries and accessories for sale!

So what do you think happened?

Not sure. The whole blade assembly is gone. Seems odd it would stay on that long if it wasn't secure before hand. I had almost 6 miles in for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 328
You’re not going to live-this-down dude. Damage is pretty serious. Mama Treat used to say: ‘A chicken lays an egg because it has to.’ Think about it.

I did business w/ Mr. Thunder Drones. Ridiculously good/fast comms, quick turnaround, and the machine flies like new. Pretty much the opposite experience you will get from DJI, who repeatedly demonstrated the worst customer service I have ever witnessed. I mean comically bad. Possibly criminally bad.

It's looked like is sustained a really hard fall. My heart cringed a little.

Sorry about the loss, if I were in the states, I would definitely get thunderdrones to sort it out for me

Reactions: Former Member
So the 1 year warranty they offer doesn't cover their drone randomly falling out of the sky, when it was in perfect condition?

If it's not covered, that seems worrisome.

Reactions: bp-
So the 1 year warranty they offer doesn't cover their drone randomly falling out of the sky, when it was in perfect condition?

If it's not covered, that seems worrisome.

If it had just taken off and crashed, I am sure they would question pre-flight checks, etc. However, if he really had a long flight on it then it just falls, perhaps he has a chance.

@Sigh I'd make sure you get a copy of the logs and video in case you go that route with DJI

If it had just taken off and crashed, I am sure they would question pre-flight checks, etc. However, if he really had a long flight on it then it just falls, perhaps he has a chance.

@Sigh I'd make sure you get a copy of the logs and video in case you go that route with DJI

@Sigh ...also .. The arm without props seems to be the one that took the hardest hit, are you CERTAIN the prop didn't come off at impact and you didn't see it at the crash site? If it was a motor failure and not a prop separation, your chances with DJI are probably much better.

Well, it happened. After several hundred thousand feet flown and several hours of flight time, my Mavic Pro crashed down into a field. I am still in mourning.

So what happened you're wondering.

Well, I was just messing around, flying around the open skies killing the afternoon. After about 20,000 feet into a flight, I was on my way back to the landing zone, thinking I was home free, flying about 390' up... All the sudden a warning popped up saying "Warning: Motor Idling (Propeller Loose or Missing)" then all I see on my screen is tumbling... After about an hour looking around the open field, I finally found it, 3 out of 4 arms are broken and the camera gimbal frame tabs appear to have broken off...

So, I bring it home, take a few photos and then decide to see if it will even power on. Much to my surprise everything powers on fine, not a single warning indicating a problem with the unit...

Unfortunately, I do not have DJI refresh (I didn't even know it existed).

2 Questions,

1) Is this a common issue?
2) How SOL do you think I am?
  • If I am SOL I'll have plenty of batteries and accessories for sale!
Drone insurance is man's best friend not a worry in the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan