DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed a Mavic Mini, is it totaled?

I wouldn't call it bashing just doing what's right. I borrow your car and wreck it I will fix or replace it .
Not take my time about it. I think as much about my drones as I do my truck. He borrowed his Buddys drone and tore it up and ask what was best to do and I told him it's that simple.

Why are we bashing the OP? He initiated this thread to find out if he could repair the Mini, or if it would have to be replaced. That's a fair question, even if it was his friend's Mini.

He's not obligated to upgrade it. Besides, to make good on the Mini, he only needs the AC. To do better and upgrade, he needs AC, RC, and battery. If his friend has the FMC for MM1, then he'd need need to get the MM2 FMC for equivalent upgrade since the accessories for them are not mutually compatible.
Hey man I appreciate the support!

I'd love to hook him up with a new Mini 2, he's a great dude for letting me borrow his Mini 1 in the first place. Lost my job a few months ago though so I've been building out my portfolio and the drone work was an investment into my future.

From a financial standpoint, I'm just trying my best to replace what I broke and he's very okay with that situation. But I appreciate all of the input even if this thread some how presents myself as an inconsiderate 25 year old haha

I crashed into a tree! It was glorious /s, but here I am trying to figure out my best course of action.

I apologize if my terms aren't accurate, I'm very new to the game, but I've attached pictures to assist.

So one of the propeller arms is broken/snapped clean but still connected as far as wires go.
View attachment 117799View attachment 117798

Another one of the arms has a crack on the underside, right near the propeller.
View attachment 117797

The plastic mount that holds the gimbal in place is cracked free but all wires seem to be still connected as well.
View attachment 117800

I don't believe I have refresh on this so I'm trying to see what the most cost effective method for repair would be, or if it's totaled, should be just looking to by another one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It wouldn't hurt to send it to DJI Drone Service (not the same as DJI the company) and have them do an estimate for you on repairs. From what I understand it won't cost anything for them to check it out, shipping is even free. That's probably what I would try, just a thought.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Think I would replace your friends drone before you went any further.
I agree! Borrowing a drone is like borrowing a chainsaw (only more so). The risk of damage is so great, I just wouldn’t do it. I hope you get things straightened out in the very near future but in the interest of the friendship, I’d replace his drone ASAP. This is just based on the information that you provided. Best wishes!

It wouldn't hurt to send it to DJI Drone Service (not the same as DJI the company) and have them do an estimate for you on repairs. From what I understand it won't cost anything for them to check it out, shipping is even free. That's probably what I would try, just a thought.
Hmm, do you know if they'll send it back for free as well? Might still be worth it regardless, but if I have to try and scrap it anyway you're right, it's worth a free estimate. And on the note of scrapping it, do you think a drone repair would buy it for parts if I end up buying an entirely new one?

I agree! Borrowing a drone is like borrowing a chainsaw (only more so). The risk of damage is so great, I just wouldn’t do it. I hope you get things straightened out in the very near future but in the interest of the friendship, I’d replace his drone ASAP. This is just based on the information that you provided. Best wishes!
For sure! I thought I mentioned this earlier but I purchased my own Mini right before this happened and I'm letting him use it while I get his replacement figured out so no drone-downtime on his end.

Hmm, do you know if they'll send it back for free as well? Might still be worth it regardless, but if I have to try and scrap it anyway you're right, it's worth a free estimate. And on the note of scrapping it, do you think a drone repair would buy it for parts if I end up buying an entirely new one?
I don't know the answer to those questions, since I luckily have not crashed "yet". However a quick Google search came up with there website (djidroneservice.com) where you can start a ticket on it. This is provided you are in the US of course, I didn't notice your location right off hand. I believe shipping both ways is free, but that would be something to ask them. I don't think the arms are too expensive to replace, but the gimbal could be another question, it kinda depends on what needs to be replaced of course.

I don't know the answer to those questions, since I luckily have not crashed "yet". However a quick Google search came up with there website (djidroneservice.com) where you can start a ticket on it. This is provided you are in the US of course, I didn't notice your location right off hand. I believe shipping both ways is free, but that would be something to ask them. I don't think the arms are too expensive to replace, but the gimbal could be another question, it kinda depends on what needs to be replaced of course.
Sure! I'll look further into that further. Thanks!

You can buy a drone only for a discounted price. Check them out on eBay. Or a company out here in Crescent city. Fixacrash.
Good luck

Sure! I'll look further into that further. Thanks!
Here is a Ebay Auction at $205 right now 12 Hrs to sell.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Mavic-Mini-Replacement-Drone-Body-Aircraft-Camera-Gimbal-Only-For-Crash-Lost/193756679590?hash=item2d1ccc4da6:g:WLUAAOSw5yVftfBF

They are venders here and have used them seversl times and highly recommend them. DJI Drone Service - Your Drone Repair Shop

Reactions: old man mavic
The problem is that if it looks like this on the outside, what was knocked about on the inside. There could be some damage that may cause a safety-related malfunction in flight ie circuit board crack, damaged connector etc. Maybe send it to a repair centre for assessment then decide to repair or replace. With the advent of the mini 2 they may have some 1s going at a bargain price.

I agree! Borrowing a drone is like borrowing a chainsaw (only more so).

Mostly I do not loan out my chainsaw, tools, nor my drone for that matter. The reasons may be obvious from this thread. Loaning stuff to friends, neighbors or employees can be a recipe for a deteriorating relationship. Not to mention I have a farm and creamery to run and need everything always on site.

And hey, if you don't agree with me that's OK. It's just been my direct experience. I just say 'No', and explain why. Having said that, some folks I trust I will loan out to, so never say never. But at the end of the day it's my stuff so it's my call.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be / For loan oft loses both itself and friend” – Polonius counsels his son, Hamlet Act 1, Scene 3, W. Shakespeare

Last edited:
Nicksneider, welcome aboard !!!
There is usually a lot of good information on this site. I feel this thread went a little astray.
Yes, I do believe the Aircraft (AC) is totaled. If you and your friend have decided to replace the AC only, that's fair.
for the difference in price, I would just as soon buy the whole kit and caboodle. That way there are extra parts etc.
Try the DJI site like mentioned too. That will give you both the information you need to make a semi-informed decision. With a new AC; you can also get DJI care (probably a good idea). Good luck.
Also check out DJI drone service on this site. He is advertising a used mini for $259.00.

There is usually a lot of good information on this site. I feel this thread went a little astray.
Yes, I do believe the Aircraft (AC) is totaled. If you and your friend have decided to replace the AC only, that's fair.
for the difference in price, I would just as soon buy the whole kit and caboodle. That way there are extra parts etc.
Try the DJI site like mentioned too. That will give you both the information you need to make a semi-informed decision. With a new AC; you can also get DJI care (probably a good idea). Good luck.
Also check out DJI drone service on this site. He is advertising a used mini for $259.00.
Just so you know if you had kept up with that venders thread the OP has already asked him if he could get one without a battery
and he said yes.?

Reactions: NG Wildman
Thanks for the reply and great info! As dirkclod mentions below, I ended up purchasing a mini with no accessories from DJI Drone Service which ended up being a great deal. It's been purchased and is en-route to my location!

Reactions: NG Wildman
To NickSneider, in truth I would not consider a swap to a better model, your friend probably has accessories compatible with the Mavic Mini and incompatible with other models.
My suggestion would be, if the mini you bought is new then give it to your friend and get yourself a second hand mini via the likes of ebay or repair the the damaged one for yourself.
One other option is, does your friend have care refresh on the damaged mini, if so you could pay the fee for a replacement, 'problems' might arise if he subsequently needs to use the care refresh himself but that would be something you need to discuss with him at a relevant time.
To me it appears you need at least two new arms, a gimbal arm assembly (does the camera work?), an upper body shell and maybe a lower shell.
Arms etc. are available, seemingly quite cheaply (try googling) but whether they are DJI or pattern is anyones guess if they are not bought from DJI.
If money is tight then a DIY repair with parts might be on the cards but with you owning the repaired drone and your friend being given the intact one.
The danger of the latter approach is if there is undiscovered damage, e.g. a dead camera or damage internal components.
Have you tried powering up the drone to see if it even boots?
I am curious, did it fly into the tree at speed or drop a significant height onto an unforgiving surface?
The damage seems quite extensive.
Yeah you're definitely right about there being risk to repairing damage like this, I decided to just call it totaled to expidite the replacement process.

I flew backwards into a tree in sport mode and it was definitely going pretty fast. I made the same move right before I crashed but must have misjudged my climbing speed on the second take. The camera works fine and the drone boots up but with a few errors.

Mostly I do not loan out my chainsaw, tools, nor my drone for that matter. The reasons may be obvious from this thread. Loaning stuff to friends, neighbors or employees can be a recipe for a deteriorating relationship. Not to mention I have a farm and creamery to run and need everything always on site.

And hey, if you don't agree with me that's OK. It's just been my direct experience. I just say 'No', and explain why. Having said that, some folks I trust I will loan out to, so never say never. But at the end of the day it's my stuff so it's my call.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be / For loan oft loses both itself and friend” – Polonius counsels his son, Hamlet Act 1, Scene 3, W. Shakespeare
I think it depends on the item, the friend, and the way the situation is handled. I've never owned a chainsaw but my Dad has a few, one in particular that's been good to him for 25+ years, and I could see the sentimental value of such a tool making it hard to objectively resolve an issue with something breaking.

If an attachment like that could be built to such a tool as a drone I could understand why replacing it would not resolve the issue, but to me, a tool is a tool and as long as it's not fundamentally unique to itself there's no reason a truly equivalent replacement should not suffice.

Reactions: SouthButNotOut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji