DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed - AirData UAV

JeanVos

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I crashed my M2Z a while back. It flew straight into the side of a mountain; NO, I flew it straight into the side of a mountain. I was looking away talking to someone....IDIOT! But ZERO Damage

Anyway, I just registered my AirData UAV account and I got this from there:

and the attachments.

I cannot see (Don't know how to check) why the sensor did not "see" the mountain?

Regards

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-24_[11-02-01].txt
    574.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi Guys,

I crashed my M2Z a while back. It flew straight into the side of a mountain; NO, I flew it straight into the side of a mountain. I was looking away talking to someone....IDIOT! But ZERO Damage

Anyway, I just registered my AirData UAV account and I got this from there:

and the attachments.

I cannot see (Don't know how to check) why the sensor did not "see" the mountain?

Regards
H04m 34s24.3 ft7,107 ftTipUpward Obstacle DetectedI04m 35s23.3 ft7,103 ftWarningAttitude is too large., Forward/Backwardobstacle sensing is unavailable.

It's simply just a lottery whether it will see things in time or not depending on the lighting, object type etc...

The "Attitude is too large., Forward/Backward obstacle sensing is unavailable" error is obviously after the crash.

Ok. I thought it just stops and refuse to go forward. Playing in the garden does that?

And yes, I might have missed the warning, because I was talking to someone while flying forward....

Ok. I thought it just stops and refuse to go forward. Playing in the garden does that?

And yes, I might have missed the warning, because I was talking to someone while flying forward....
it probably was not the mountain the first time but the ground rising or the trees/shrubs below.

Obstacle avoidance is not magic and there are lots of circumstances that can cause it to fail.
Straight from the manual, here are some:

The Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying over water or snow-covered areas.
Note that the Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying too fast. Fly with caution when flying at over 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) at 2 m (6.6 ft) or over 5 m/s (16.4 ft) at 1 m (3.3 ft).

Operate the aircraft cautiously when in any of the following situations:
a. Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, pure white, pure green).
b. Flying over highly reflective surfaces.
c. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
d. Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
e. Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
f. Flying over extremely dark (< 10 lux) or bright (> 40,000 lux) surfaces.
g. Flying over surfaces that strongly reflect or absorb infrared waves (e.g., mirrors).
h. Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
i. Flying over surfaces with repeating identical patterns or textures (e.g., tiles with the same design).
j. Flying over obstacles with small surface areas (e.g., tree branches).

Reactions: Kilrah
Obstacle avoidance is not magic and there are lots of circumstances that can cause it to fail.
Straight from the manual, here are some:

The Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying over water or snow-covered areas.
Note that the Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying too fast. Fly with caution when flying at over 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) at 2 m (6.6 ft) or over 5 m/s (16.4 ft) at 1 m (3.3 ft).

Operate the aircraft cautiously when in any of the following situations:
a. Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, pure white, pure green).
b. Flying over highly reflective surfaces.
c. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
d. Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
e. Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
f. Flying over extremely dark (< 10 lux) or bright (> 40,000 lux) surfaces.
g. Flying over surfaces that strongly reflect or absorb infrared waves (e.g., mirrors).
h. Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
i. Flying over surfaces with repeating identical patterns or textures (e.g., tiles with the same design).
j. Flying over obstacles with small surface areas (e.g., tree branches).

Yes, I saw this. It just work VERY well when I tested this and tried to deliberately crash it into something.....

Yes, I saw this. It just work VERY well when I tested this and tried to deliberately crash it into something.....
But what was the something it crashed into?
Was it thin branches, was it in poor lighting etc?
The obstacle avoidance is good but there are many situations that it still can have trouble with.

Reactions: Kilrah
Like power lines

No, no power lines. When I went to fetch it (panicky drive and walk/climb) it was in a bush on the side of the mountain. I think and it looked as if it might have scraped the top of the bush and then dropped down into it...

Like I said, when I played around with this at home and at our local park before that flight the Mavic would not allow me to go there.

Mine is a like me, it does not always listen to the voices inside....:):)

Regards

I was adding a specific to Meta4's saying there are situations that will still get you in trouble. Like power lines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf