DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed drone - question on how to proceed

camhabib

Reactions
Got a new Mavic Pro a few days ago and like any great pilot, proceeded to immediately crash it hard enough to break the gimbal. Thankfully I had the foresight to purchase it with the DJI Refresh, and on a credit card that offers purchase protection. My question is, how should I proceed? I can either pay the $79 for a replacement or I can file a claim through my credit card and get reimbursed for the drone and order a new one. I've been reading up on Refresh process and apparently it can take a while (3-4 weeks) and they send back a refurbished unit that may or may not be like new. However if I go with purchasing a new one, from what I understand DJI won't transfer the Refresh and it'll essentially have been wasted.

How are the quality of the Refresh replacement units? Has anyone had luck with DJI transferring a Refresh agreement? Thoughts on other options I may not have yet considered? Thanks!

Only option I can think off not knowing how bad you hurt it is to tell @Thunderdrones just what it looks like and go from there .
He might have the part you need and he carry's about everything .
Welcome to the forum and sorry for your crash .

Thanks @dirkclod.

You could use the credit card that offers purchase protection and get your money back, and hope you can get back the cost of Refresh as well.

Refresh is a crapshoot. You might get a new one or a refurb. Plus it's not 3-4 weeks turnaround time, it's more like 5-7 weeks since DJI is moving from Carson to Cerritos and delaying repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Depends on your timeline. I've had two Care Refreshed Mavics in the last 4 months. Both times (including shipping from the east coast) it took 5 weeks to get replacements...and dealing with DJI support is a real nightmare. It nearly drove me insane.
No real issues with the ones they sent to me. The first one was new but the second one is clearly a refurbished (used) unit.
I'm fairly certain that Care Refresh can't be transferred.

Reactions: Former Member
Only option I can think off not knowing how bad you hurt it is to tell @Thunderdrones just what it looks like and go from there .
He might have the part you need and he carry's about everything .
Welcome to the forum and sorry for your crash .
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I imagine it'll cost quite a bit for a repair, as it needs a new arm, motor, and entire gimbal assembly.

For those that have received a replacement, is there a good way to determine if you've received a refurb or new unit? Is there anything that can be done to speed up the replacement process or I'm at the mercy of DJI for this? Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I imagine it'll cost quite a bit for a repair, as it needs a new arm, motor, and entire gimbal assembly.

For those that have received a replacement, is there a good way to determine if you've received a refurb or new unit?

Why wouldnt you pursue the credit card option you first mentioned?

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the replacement process or I'm at the mercy of DJI for this?

Yes, buy a new one.

Why wouldnt you pursue the credit card option you first mentioned?

Going the Refresh route would be cheaper, both because they wouldn't cover the entire cost of the purchase and because I'd have to purchase Refresh again.

I am curious though on how to tell a refurb from a new? Is it just the manufacture date?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman