DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed drone reveals attempt to smuggle $250,000 worth of drugs into Townsville prison.

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Gagey52 and Dronut
Just curious...

Do they make a gimbal cover for use during a flight for that aircraft?

The picture shows the "crashed" aircraft with a gimbal cover along with the evidence.

"Crashed drone"?

I think it landed because it doesn't look like it crashed at all. Props, battery, etc looks good.

Things that make you go , hmmm. 🤔

I remember that when the Mavic Pro and Zoom first came out there were many flying them with the gimbal cover attached. Some were asking (on this forum) why their images seemed distorted :)

Here's the report from a police site with more pictures. Crims aren't that bright. That would probably explain the gimbal cover, lol.

Reactions: MA2 317

On some of the DJI drones you can leave the cover on for protection during flight, although I don't think this is one of those.... probably just an idiot on their first or second flight, or so nervous they forgot? As mentioned, crooks aren't too bright.

Reactions: dirkclod
Way too intact. But duck tape around the vision sensors? That could cause a rough landing. But no signs of that either, just upside down in the grass. Are they trying to pass this one off?

My question would be why was it able to even get close to the prison? Every DJI product I've had since the Phantom 3 had geofencing. I know I can't even get close to the prison in our area. I start getting warnings before I'm even close?!

On some of the DJI drones you can leave the cover on for protection during flight, although I don't think this is one of those....

Yes the M1P gimbal cover can be left on, though it's not common for a pilot to leave there when flying / filming.

My question would be why was it able to even get close to the prison? Every DJI product I've had since the Phantom 3 had geofencing. I know I can't even get close to the prison in our area. I start getting warnings before I'm even close?!

Good question, I just checked some local prisons on the DJI Flysafe Geo map.
It appears some of our metro prisons are Red restricted, yet one near a major rural city is not.

I tried checking the Townsville prison concerned and found that too has the red restricted zone.
Even what is probably a prison farm nearby to the SE of the main prison site.

But all the crims have to do is install one of the main (2?) drone hacks software on the M1P and not have any restrictions, be it flysafe zones, altitude, speed or any other such DJI put in place.

I have a former photography professor who still owns the original Mavic Pro. He never updated the firmware or flysafe database and as a result it would allow him to take off from anywhere.

Basically if they left the software out of date, there may be no limitations by today's standards.

Reactions: Gagey52
On some of the DJI drones you can leave the cover on for protection during flight, although I don't think this is one of those.... probably just an idiot on their first or second flight, or so nervous they forgot? As mentioned, crooks aren't too bright.
You can also buy or mod covers to fly with.

if i was to embark on this i wouldnt use any off the shelf drone, but as stated, these guys are not real bright

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13