DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed...due to unsecured propeller

Peter Ho

Reactions
To all Mavic Pro Pilots

It would be only a few seconds job - to do a final check to see if all the propellers are secured before flying... not forgetting the settings like SETTING YOUR HOME POINT
or resetting your landing protection etc.

I had a bad experience with my 2nd Mavic Pro a few days ago. It took off but luckily I was hovering it just 5 feet above the ground to do some final settings on the phone when it just went wild and fell to the ground with one of the propellers flung off.

Luckily testing it again with the propeller securely set again,,, no damage except for the whole set of propellers to be replace (just in case) and a bit of setting the gimbal back into place... everything was normal.

Guess one of the propellers was not fitted back securely when I took them off to do some settings at home before this.

So better be safe than sorry after.

Peter HO

Yep, that's the problem with snap on propellers. I hate them but there's no alternative for the Mavic, except maybe some obscure unknown after market ones. I had the same experience like you the first day I had my mavic. Luckily the prop flew off while still on the ground. Since then I don't trust them anymore and I double check them before every take off. Even while storing the mavic in your bag a prop could become unlocked if you press it. On my Inspire1 I still have the old screw on props. They are secured with extra clips. Never a problem. The spinning of the props tighten them even more. Never understood why DJI changed to snap on props.

Reactions: Irish-apple
Never understood why DJI changed to snap on props.
Because they save 10 seconds per prop to put on? Certainly not because they are safer.

Since then I don't trust them anymore and I double check them before every take off. Even while storing the mavic in your bag a prop could become unlocked if you press it. On my Inspire1 I still have the old screw on props. They are secured with extra clips. Never a problem. The spinning of the props tighten them even more. Never understood why DJI changed to snap on props.

My take is this . . . regardless of how the props are attached, an operator should check them before every single flight. Snap on or screw on, props can come off. I see the underlying problem as procedural - failure to perform basic operational checks. I haven't personally seen any data to suggest a higher chance of "fly off" with the snap on props. I have drones with both types and I follow the same pre-flight and maintenance procedures with both . . . no problems with either type over many, many flights.

Omg after reading this I put on my reading glasses (I'm 50!) and took a "closer look" at my props...

Good lord, one of them had a tiny CUT in it at the end the size of a fingernail clipping and another one looked like it was weed eating in my backyard.. Wow. I instantly replaced all 4.
I feel like I dodged a bullet... Lol

Reactions: amstar
Omg after reading this I put on my reading glasses (I'm 50!) and took a "closer look" at my props...

Good lord, one of them had a tiny CUT in it at the end the size of a fingernail clipping and another one looked like it was weed eating in my backyard.. Wow. I instantly replaced all 4.
I feel like I dodged a bullet... Lol

This happened to me. I looked at my props one day and noticed like a paper thin crack in one. Replaced them all.

This is the exact reason I don't remove my props. Maybe 2 times a year I pull them and inspect them with a close-up lens, but that's it.

It would be nice if when they werent locked, they would fly off before you're airborn. The fact that they are just tight enough to get you off the ground when not locked on seems planned by DJI. :D

They moved away from the screw on props because of early problems with the inspire. people where not screwing props on enough and relying on the torque of the motors to do the job. But the braking on this birds can be quite agressive and the rapid increase then decrease in engine speeds led to props flying off.
I never had this problem with my inspires as, what has already been said, pre flight checks should be thorough.

They moved away from the screw on props because of early problems with the inspire. people where not screwing props on enough and relying on the torque of the motors to do the job. But the braking on this birds can be quite agressive and the rapid increase then decrease in engine speeds led to props flying off.
I never had this problem with my inspires as, what has already been said, pre flight checks should be thorough.
True.

Whenever the prop is installed correctly the motor axle is flush with the prop. REALLY easy to check with a glance that they are.

You should always be checking the props for damage and proper placement before each flight. Always.

I check mine twice. Checked to see positive connection. When to fly about 10' detached. Noticed on that prop it was particularly tight on the center shaft so that the spring didn't push up to latch very forcefully or hardly at all after the fact. Does refresh cover prop coming off? Fortunately still flies, had to reinsert gymbal, will need to straighten front landing leg. Not sure if I should refresh or just keep flying for now?

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11