DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed from 200ft (60m). How to avoid it next time? What happend exactly?

Tronnic

Reactions
Problem?
Hi guys, I recently got my Mavic Air and crashed it from 60m (200ft) into the ground. It was my third flight. I'm not exactly sure why but I have some guesses. When I got the message about something going wrong with motor voltage I quickly tried to bring it back. I wasn't able to descend and all of a sudden the copter dropped to the ground. When I checked the logs the VPS did show an altitude of 1 Meter. Is it possible that due to the fog the copter thought its close to the ground and disabled the motors? I'm lucky, it has 0 damage and everything works perfectly. Just asking to make sure not to repeat this.

Also, on my second flight I had an error telling me that there's something going on with my down facing sensor. It didn't let me land and I was forced to drain my battery all the way. When it reached 3% I was able to land tho.

Flight 2: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com (check 14m 17s)
Flight 3 (Crash): DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Yes I know the weather wasn't perfect. I'm flying quads since over 2 years and never had any issues with my fpv racing copters or my previous Yuneec Typhoon. I'm a little scared that I have so little manual control over the aircraft.

YouTube-Video:

Was unit in a crash?
Yes

What have you tried so far?
Testing if everything works, seems ok after 3 more flights.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
Samsung Note 9, Google Nexus 7 (Crash happend with Nexus 7)

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Most Recent

What Go app version are you using?
Most Recent

Any modification? (if so what)
No

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)
No, Just DJI Go 4

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Here are all the logs I have: Mavic Air Crash Logs - Google Drive For videos see above.

I posted this on reddit first and S1rkka suggested me to visit this forum :) Here's the reddit link: Reddit

Last edited:
Tronnic - I had a very similar issue (see my recent post)

Motor current warning, followed by complete loss of power and a crash.

DJI support tell me it's because it was too cold and the motors froze!! It didn't seem that cold to me?

Like you though, I was also flying through some fog which I think might confuse the temp sensors or something..... the motors just instantly shut off. It had been flying fine an hour earlier, similar air temp, but there was no fog.

Maybe the Mavic Air does not like cold fog.... because I hear of people flying in low air temps with no problems.

Exactly.

You can fly in cold dry air no problem, in warm fog no problem, but not in fog AND freezing temps.

I don't go in fog if temp is lower than 5°C (air cools further in the prop's low pressure side).

Reactions: dss123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman