DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic 2 Pro making this Halloween creeper.

Reactions
The exterior shot as the film opens was easy. There was light wind and we got the shot. Then we tried an interior shot of the reception area. That was not so easy. I started in Tripod mode. The object avoidance system was beeping like crazy. The room was too small. It was impossible to navigate. The drone was very confined to a narrow flight path making the shot we wanted impossible to get. So we switched to Positioning mode. This made navigation a little easier. The first couple of flights/takes went ok. On the last attempt the bird started to drift toward the wall. I was quick on the sticks, but it was too late. The props caught one of the columns in the doorway and down she went. There was only damage to one prop, but I lost my nerve after that and used one of the previous takes. I should have used prop guards. These drones are great. Sometimes we just ask too much of them. Indoor shots require skill, caution and a room large enough to account for some drift.

Here is the final render, sans crash:

Watch DEAD on Vimeo:

The exterior shot as the film opens was easy. There was light wind and we got the shot. Then we tried an interior shot of the reception area. That was not so easy. I started in Tripod mode. The object avoidance system was beeping like crazy. The room was too small. It was impossible to navigate. The drone was very confined to a narrow flight path making the shot we wanted impossible to get. So we switched to Positioning mode. This made navigation a little easier. The first couple of flights/takes went ok. On the last attempt the bird started to drift toward the wall. I was quick on the sticks, but it was too late. The props caught one of the columns in the doorway and down she went. There was only damage to one prop, but I lost my nerve after that and used one of the previous takes. I should have used prop guards. These drones are great. Sometimes we just ask too much of them. Indoor shots require skill, caution and a room large enough to account for some drift.

Here is the final render, sans crash:

Watch DEAD on Vimeo:
**** norman I know that funeral home. Im in Nahant

Had a tight shot under and between tree branches and resorted to sport mode- worked very well with all sensors off and was very stable, although risky it works when necessary.

Had a tight shot under and between tree branches and resorted to sport mode- worked very well with all sensors off and was very stable, although risky it works when necessary.

Yeah. True. But you gotta be good, or reckless! Lol!

Or you could be in tripod mode for more controlled response (slower) but OA off. You can test if VPS helps or hurts.

Or you could be in tripod mode for more controlled response (slower) but OA off. You can test if VPS helps or hurts.

That is a good idea. But under the circumstances I think the Katana idea would have worked as well or better. I think that in a function room, or a church, or maybe a garage - big rooms. Hallways though are a challenge in any mode. In this film the shot kind of worked but the lights were blown out. It was too bright. It was a rookie mistake. I was so focused on not crashing the drone that I didn't properly set up the camera. But I'm learning.

Great location. Well, for this sort of thing. Creepy though. Especially the embalming room.
Im sure I just did a video on embalming and how its probably not a helpful thing to pass onto the next plane in, the ancient egyptians mummified and DNA can still be and has been extracted they knew, theres a reason the only currency thats never been changed is the one dollar bill with the pyramid on the back, jus sayn

Tripod mode is great, but in close quarters it still stops you from hovering close to objects. Prop guards that @Norman from Boston mentioned are a very good idea- if I had known, I would have used those when trying to hover over some outcrops I was trying to map. I was literally just a foot under and next to tree branches in a slight breeze, and in sport mode to accomplish it. Surprised how stable the ship was hovering like that, too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky