DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my MP, Buy drone-only MP or time to upgrade to M2P?

rr1619

Reactions
Hi all,

I recently crashed my MP after about 2 years of use and the gimbal is broken. It can still fly (for now) and take pictures, but I can't move the camera at up/down at all. From what I hear, DJI will just replace the whole gimbal/camera for ~$400 which I'm not going to do.

I have 3 MP batteries and some other accessories, so I could just buy the drone-only for $750 and be plugged right back in.

OR

I just upgrade entirely to the M2P, meaning I'd need new batteries, chargers, etc. for $1500-1800.

I was not interested in upgrading at all before this, so I am wondering if those who have the M2P find it is worth it. If you were in my situation, with minimum $750 required to fix, would you shell out the additional $750-1000 to just upgrade systems entirely? I hate the thought of having to buy new batteries!

Thanks all.

You do not mention where you are, but if in the USA you might ping Thunderdrones for another quote. $750 sounds pretty high for a gimbal fix.

Reactions: Mav_Flyah
You do not mention where you are, but if in the USA you might ping Thunderdrones for another quote. $750 sounds pretty high for a gimbal fix.
I live in Dallas, Texas. I will certainly check out Thunderdrones, thank you.

The $750 I'm quoting is just to buy an entirely new Mavic Pro, with the drone only, since I have all the other accessories already.

@rr1619 you may also consider contacting @djidroneservice for a free estimate. As a plus they are a forum sponsor here so they help keep the forum free all of us.

Reactions: razoraerial and DDS
like you i too crashed my drone. my problems were similar to yours where it could fly, but the gimbal was busted, no movement at all just dangling and there was no live feed to my ipad. i found Thunderdrones courtesy of this website.....
I just recently (literally got it back two days ago) got my drone fixed by Thunderdrones and they did a great job at a very reasonable price. it took nearly a week (l live in Hawaii) from the time i sent it to them and back into my possession. i highly recommend Thunderdrones. $750 is steep IMO for a broken gimbal. My repair was for the gimbal plate, gimbal pcb part and labor and gimbal ribbon part and labor, vision sensor cable. total cost nearly $200 but he (Rob Schwartz, the owner) added a discount. i ended up paying $150 to get it fixed plus another $20 for shipping. i'm happy with the repair that they did....i'm back up and flying again lol

like you i too crashed my drone. my problems were similar to yours where it could fly, but the gimbal was busted, no movement at all just dangling and there was no live feed to my ipad. i found Thunderdrones courtesy of this website.....
I just recently (literally got it back two days ago) got my drone fixed by Thunderdrones and they did a great job at a very reasonable price. it took nearly a week (l live in Hawaii) from the time i sent it to them and back into my possession. i highly recommend Thunderdrones. $750 is steep IMO for a broken gimbal. My repair was for the gimbal plate, gimbal pcb part and labor and gimbal ribbon part and labor, vision sensor cable. total cost nearly $200 but he (Rob Schwartz, the owner) added a discount. i ended up paying $150 to get it fixed plus another $20 for shipping. i'm happy with the repair that they did....i'm back up and flying again lol

That’s good advice. $750 for an unnecessary replacement vs. repair to get you back to flying. I’d definitely repair it and put off any M2P decision until you have a more compelling reason to get a new model. I had a P3 4K, which took fine video and photos, but a kit size that was impossible to travel with. Also, without collision avoidance, the way I fly, it was probably only a matter of time before I crashed.

It was the height of fall color when my P3 took a brief dip in the water and the gimbal started acting funny. I wasn’t gonna lose the fall season after limited flying due to flooded conditions at my normal flying spots. Repairs would have taken a couple weeks or so. The timing was right for an M2P.

Perhaps you wait for the next model before upgrading? Are the differences between your MP and M2P enough to justify the $1,500 Fly more package? You may squeeze another year out of your MP, but obsolescence is creeping up on you.

I wish I had a Mavic for my British Isles cruise in summer last year. I don’t travel anywhere without it now. I’ve been waiting 30 years since my hang gliding days to fly again and the Mavic 2 Pro has fulfilled that wish without freezing my butt off on a mountain and a lot less risk of bodily harm.

We do have many different Mavics in stock as well as Mavic 2 and enterprise version. However we can take a look at that Mavic for free and give you a quote on parts and repairs. Mention Mavicpilots and well give you a discount as well. Send it in as soon as you create a ticket and we will get you back up and flying quickly.

Yep have it looked at by DDS.
Even here in Australia where we get royally ripped of, I was able to have a gimbal replaced entirely for less than $200 at a local reputable repairer

Hi all,

I recently crashed my MP after about 2 years of use and the gimbal is broken. It can still fly (for now) and take pictures, but I can't move the camera at up/down at all. From what I hear, DJI will just replace the whole gimbal/camera for ~$400 which I'm not going to do.

I have 3 MP batteries and some other accessories, so I could just buy the drone-only for $750 and be plugged right back in.

OR

I just upgrade entirely to the M2P, meaning I'd need new batteries, chargers, etc. for $1500-1800.

I was not interested in upgrading at all before this, so I am wondering if those who have the M2P find it is worth it. If you were in my situation, with minimum $750 required to fix, would you shell out the additional $750-1000 to just upgrade systems entirely? I hate the thought of having to buy new batteries!

Thanks all.

Since money is not a huge barrier, I would buy an M2P, but NOT with the SC remote. The AC is great, with even better video performance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78